Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Plans > New Projects Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Compact Line Array

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PedroQ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Compact Line Array
    Posted: 23 July 2010 at 12:01am
Yesterday came the idea to build a small PA for use in small events like karaoke, djs, weddings, etc.
Researched existing models for five minutes, and none had the features I wanted.
The PA must be line array, very small, very light (less than 5 kg per cab), cheap and efficient.

Today I spent another 5 minutes trying to idealize the box, and made a small drawing (in powerpoint because I had no CAD software on the laptop. So the measures are not stringent).

I have not done (yet) tests or measures to see more efficient ways, but I'll probably have to add some vents. The speaker I chose for the mids was Sica 6N2.5PL with 250wrms but probably would sound better with a Beyma 6MI100 of 250wAES. BOTH of 6 inches. And for the HF a Dayton planar tweeter of 80wrms.

What do you think about the idea?

The sketch:

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Edited by PedroQ - 23 July 2010 at 12:02am
MarjanM View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MarjanM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 July 2010 at 1:09am
Are you sure it will be under 5 kilos?

Now that looks good actually but 6 inch cant really do well under 200Hz. Maybe not even that. Also you will need about 10 boxes in a row in order to act as a line array. So try double 6 and a horn. That will do some more damage in a not spl demanding gigs.
Marjan Milosevic
MM-Acoustics
www.mm-acoustics.com
https://www.facebook.com/pages/MM-Acoustics/608901282527713
PedroQ View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PedroQ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 July 2010 at 1:21am
The  Sica 6" woofer have a freq response of about 120hz to 7khz  (+/-) , so i think it can go 200hz well. about the weight ... the woofer is neodymium with 1,65 kg.
PedroQ View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PedroQ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 July 2010 at 2:09am
I've done some calc's and if i use a vent tunned to 113hz  and reduce the woofer compartment to 2,7 lt I can reach the 120hz without big gain losses.
MusicXtra View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MusicXtra Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 July 2010 at 4:12am
Have you seen the 18sound 6ND430?
This one is 200 Watt AES and the FS is 63 Hz so it wil work from 60 Hz.
PedroQ View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PedroQ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 July 2010 at 4:23am
I Have seen it, but put it apart because i can't find it any "Portuguese online store" and so i cant know a price for it, but i would contact some stores requesting prices for 6ND430.

Edited by PedroQ - 23 July 2010 at 4:24am
PedroQ View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PedroQ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 July 2010 at 4:51am
The 18sound is more appropriated to this box, can go to 87hz in -3db. Sica only can go to 110hz in -3db.     
Mircea Bartic View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mircea Bartic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 July 2010 at 9:38am
what is the intended crossover point?
general manager & head designer at nexus-acoustics research
http://www.facebook.com/nexus.acoustics.research

Ex Nexus_3
Tony Wilkes View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tony Wilkes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 July 2010 at 10:08am
If you think that any pro 6" driver will do -3db in the 80's when stuck in the air you are deluding yourselves. I don't care what the simm's say, build one and measure it!!!

Tony
tomschute View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tomschute Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 July 2010 at 10:20am
http://www.parts-express.com/pe/pshowdetl.cfm?&DID=7&Partnumber=275-085&ctab=1#Tabs

Great find. Wonder if it will work? I was on a similar project mission that stalled as I was finding the time it was taking to fine tune my own HF line array horn was just too great and put it all to one side.

Maybe this would be an option for a compact system.

Tom
Out to lunch... stableaudio@hotmail.co.uk
www.stableaudio.co.uk
Speaker Building Services
Tony Wilkes View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tony Wilkes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 July 2010 at 11:17am
Originally posted by tomschute tomschute wrote:

http://www.parts-express.com/pe/pshowdetl.cfm?&DID=7&Partnumber=275-085&ctab=1#Tabs

Great find. Wonder if it will work? I was on a similar project mission that stalled as I was finding the time it was taking to fine tune my own HF line array horn was just too great and put it all to one side.

Maybe this would be an option for a compact system.

Tom

Tom, not if you want to use best practice. Cross-over way too high, max'm output is way too low.
They may be good in home hi-fi, monitor's etc. but LA's no.

Tony
tomschute View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tomschute Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 July 2010 at 11:35am
Back to the mic and PC then :/

Might grab one and take some measurements out of interest though!
Out to lunch... stableaudio@hotmail.co.uk
www.stableaudio.co.uk
Speaker Building Services
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>