Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Electro Frying Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Urei 1605 - opinions?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote norty303 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Urei 1605 - opinions?
    Posted: 10 August 2010 at 3:54pm
Ok, so I thought it would be good to get any other opinions on these.

I was using one for a few events just for running some CDJ's for playback and a mic or 2, but I was massively impressed with it. Sort of a Formula Sound style mixer, but at ~£500 (HTFR have them at £399!!) it seems an awful lot of mixer for the money.

It also seems to be VERY well thought out, no frills, but what it has is excellent and seems to cover a lot of the things people here moan about with mixers. Things that struck me about it:

Low amount of boost on EQ's
Nice simple X-fader assignment
Good range of input options
Nice monitoring section (inc separate EQ)
Good send/return options
Solid build
1/4" and 3.5mm jack sockets for headphones (internally illuminated!)
HPF on the master
Inserts for the DJ (MC) mic (compressor!)
Mic on every channel (its a viable mini desk)
External mute control
Selectable -10 and -20db pads
Very nice damped feel from the knobs, and generally felt very spacious and uncluttered

Unfortunately it was on some really poor hire speakers so couldn't comment on sound quality. Has anyone else heard one on a decent rig?

Edited by norty303 - 10 August 2010 at 3:55pm
My laser stuff: Frikkin Lasers
toastyghost View Drop Down
The 10,000 Points Club
The 10,000 Points Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote toastyghost Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 August 2010 at 4:14pm
Yes, they sound a bit 'weird' when pushed hard, and if you do the 10dB pad it affects line level inputs too so CDJs need to have the gain and EQ cranked right up to get a reasonable output.

I've also seen a fair few of them with odd faults, like the lower half of the LEDs disappearing, and faders becoming stiff.

Still a hell of a lot of mixer for the cash, and if you're not doing big name DJs and are handy with a soldering iron you can probably live with the problems.
norty303 View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote norty303 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 August 2010 at 4:24pm
Ah, so not quite so good as they first appear, and the solid look not necessarily carried through to the build!

But you say you've seen a few about? I've never come across one and couldn't work out why as they seemed like quite a good bet, especially for installs
burningbush View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote burningbush Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 August 2010 at 4:35pm
Looks nice, little baby mixer.  Mono switch on main out.
music is the message
t0m View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote t0m Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 August 2010 at 4:38pm
I have 2 of the 1605's and I absolutely love them. I haven't had any problems with either yet and I bought both second hand.

The faders and pots are sooo smooth, very Urei and the sound is very clean and personally I find it sounds way better when pushed then anything by Pioneer including the DJM800! There is one red light at the top of each channel and the master, you really have to be pushing the channels to get this to light and most DJ's seem very happy to be using its layout etc. I've had nothing but compliments from everyone who has used it, my fixed one is connected to 4 x Stasys X, 2 x Stasys 8 and 4 x Stasys 3.2's going through an AVC2.

The extra features like having Line/Phone (RCA) and Mic (XLR) inputs for all 7 channels is very nice, esp when dealing with multiple MC's, I've even used it to mix a small basic band! Also XLR out for master and booth is nice.

Overall I can't fault it and would happily have another one, I picked up both of mine for under £200 from eBay and Harmon are very very reasonable for spares if required. (I only enquired as not had to replace anything yet!)

Keep your eyes peeled ;)

//t0m

http://www.microrave.biz

PA/Sound/Staging/Lighting & Laser Hire for London & the whole of the UK
toastyghost View Drop Down
The 10,000 Points Club
The 10,000 Points Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote toastyghost Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 August 2010 at 5:00pm
Originally posted by norty303 norty303 wrote:

Ah, so not quite so good as they first appear, and the solid look not necessarily carried through to the build!

But you say you've seen a few about? I've never come across one and couldn't work out why as they seemed like quite a good bet, especially for installs

To be honest, I've only seen two 1605s in my life, one wasn't working at all (crackly output on the master). Most of that experience comes from the smaller 1603 series.
norty303 View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote norty303 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 August 2010 at 5:01pm
I'm glad you said all that Tom, I was starting to think I had been imagining the little gem!

Yeah, first thing I thought was 'Now, here's how a mixer should look!'
Everything in its place, easily accessible, neat touches - but no idea if it had the balls under the hood to back up the clever design.

Why are they not selling thousands of them everywhere...
norty303 View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote norty303 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 August 2010 at 5:02pm
Christ, I haven't mixed in years, no longer own a rig, and yet I have an urge to buy one! It must be good!
SamV View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SamV Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 August 2010 at 5:11pm
I've seen/heard/played with t0m's one and I too love them. My only criticism is that they're not very pretty to look at lol
Phil B View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Phil B Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 August 2010 at 5:32pm
We have one...  very nice mixer. Very smooth, well built, nice features and we got it for a snip in a one off deal!

But as usual you cannot just put it in front of most DJ`s...they get all snotty and start ranting " DJM800" at you....but if it`s up to us it goes out as an option against our A&H Xone 92.

.p.

Mostly harmless.... except if catering is shut.

Solar Sound System Shennanigans..http://diyhifi.biz/
C. Roots View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote C. Roots Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 August 2010 at 5:57pm
i got the 1603 and i really like it.

the larger pots felt a bit odd first time i used the mixer, as did the 0 on the eq not being at 12 oclock, but half an hour later and that was all good. that aside i find it, easy to use, good layout, like the channel assignment, like the send /return on it.

only thing i specifically dont like is the funny angle for the 6mm headphone jack.
Nitz V1505 View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nitz V1505 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 August 2010 at 6:08pm
I have nothing but praise for Soundcraft/Urei products. Bringing that studio quality to boot.Clap  
Originally posted by t0m t0m wrote:

I have 2 of the 1605's and I absolutely love them. I haven't had any problems with either yet and I bought both second hand.

The faders and pots are sooo smooth, very Urei and the sound is very clean and personally I find it sounds way better when pushed then anything by Pioneer including the DJM800! There is one red light at the top of each channel and the master, you really have to be pushing the channels to get this to light and most DJ's seem very happy to be using its layout etc. I've had nothing but compliments from everyone who has used it, my fixed one is connected to 4 x Stasys X, 2 x Stasys 8 and 4 x Stasys 3.2's going through an AVC2.

The extra features like having Line/Phone (RCA) and Mic (XLR) inputs for all 7 channels is very nice, esp when dealing with multiple MC's, I've even used it to mix a small basic band! Also XLR out for master and booth is nice.

Overall I can't fault it and would happily have another one, I picked up both of mine for under £200 from eBay and Harmon are very very reasonable for spares if required. (I only enquired as not had to replace anything yet!)

Keep your eyes peeled ;)

//t0m

Tom,on the eq does turning all the knobs to minus infinty kill all the sound on the channel?
LET THE BASS ROLL LIKE THUNDER
& THE TOPS LIKE LIGHTNING.....
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>