Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Newbie Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

rms vs aes

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cnc123 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 August 2010 at 3:49am
nominal is just another word for normal
what ever normal is?
is just a matter of opinion
a dictionary definition for example is "existing in name only"
the problem is you (not you personally) and generally other Joe's want to buy the biggest power ratings possible
in terms of electrical consumption (like a car less mpg and no more mph)
what you should be asking for is the largest acoustical output
measured in acoustical watts or dBLw (the sound power)
typically a 18" 1000w speak outputs 10 acoustical watts
which dosnt sound very big to the sales department
or the Joe's
markjameslong View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote markjameslong Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 August 2010 at 10:52pm
ok so if i have 2 bass bins at 1600 aes 4R, what rms power amp should i be looking at?

also what is a good way to run them, both linked down to 2R on one amp bridged or an amp that can power 1600 4R a side, or two amps that will bridge down to 4R?

thanks, mark

Mark James View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark James Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 August 2010 at 11:47pm

never bridge into 2 ohm!!! you make each channel effictively see 1 ohm, realy not good

what cabs have you got?
one amp that can push one cab per side at 4 ohm sterio is what I would personaly prefer less stress etc.
me so horny me love you long throw
horn loaded for her pleasure
cravings View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cravings Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 August 2010 at 12:12am
yeah if you've got bins at 1600w / 4r... you'll need a good hefty amp for them. one of the 2k+ per side ones...
cnc123 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cnc123 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 August 2010 at 4:15am
you need to be more specific
example what speak model number, type of box, are you going though a limiter,
x-over setting, etc.
and hope that  djk comes back on here,   
FatStuart View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FatStuart Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 August 2010 at 3:57am
Your speakers should come with a recommended amplifier rating from the manufacturer.  As djk said, a lot depends on the cabinet too (which is often forgotten or ignored, foolishly).  If you don't know the recommended amplifier rating someone on here will :)
FatStuart View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FatStuart Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 August 2010 at 4:14am
And I have a question for djk: you say that clipping in itself isn't harmful, but doesn't clipping an amp produce high frequency harmonics which can fry a tweeter in a system using passive crossovers?
_djk_ View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote _djk_ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 August 2010 at 11:12am
No, the extra power content from harmonics when clipping is trivial.

With program material with high dynamics, the increase in average power during non-clipped passages is what burns out the tweeters.

In general, woofers die from mechanical problems before they die from too much long term average power. It is essential to evaluate the box design and cone excursion on a given design before deciding how much power to hit the cabinet with.
djk
_djk_ View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote _djk_ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 August 2010 at 11:37am

Edited by _djk_ - 24 August 2010 at 11:38am
djk
tv00 View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tv00 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 December 2013 at 4:36pm
I've always been told that clipping will result in a square like waveform because the wavetops are cutoff, like turbosound & more show in their guides.

Taking a look at cone movement from squarewave looks horrible! The amp will try to force the cone to move from one limit to the other in no time, ripping it hard, then it will keep it in this posistion during the clip wave leaving heat like dc in the coil before pulling it back hard & over again.
Is this wrong?

The reason I dig into this thread is actually that the digam7000 has 1910w@4ohm / ch measured EIAJ, what is an eaij test? Something about tests here:
http://www.doctorproaudio.com/doctor/temas/powerhandling.htm

You might be wondering what I'm up to, having 24 pcs fane 18-1500 bph takes some power to drive!
I have 4 pcs digam7000, but it's not really enough, So I'm buying two lab gruppen fp13000, This can drive 8 pcs 18-1500 @ 13000w, some people suggested that I use one amp for all 12 subs per side, but this is 6 per channel! I wouldn't do that, normally I never do 2 ohms, only did that with digam & lab.

It's a matter of power, I was planning to run each side with one digam with 4 subs & one lab with 8 subs, this is 1910w for the four & 6500 for the eight, not exactly equal, I was thinking to give the 4 bph on top of the stacks less power, as they are likely to have more excursion not coupling ground or boxes on top.

Does this make sense? 4 pcs lab 13000 would be better, but they're damn costly!

Edited by tv00 - 01 December 2013 at 4:37pm
nativelayer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nativelayer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 December 2013 at 1:33pm
Diving into the nominal power discussion:
B + C driver is advertised on one site 200W Nominal Power and another 400W Continous Power.
My amp plan had been to power two of these with 400W (x2 Nominal power rating) each side - should I be thinking more along the lines of 800W (x 2 Continous power rating?
How much juice would be reasonably safe (theoretically leaving aside box dynamics)?
I have looked around regarding this and got confused with all the conflicting answers....Newbie after all :)
There is no authority but yourself.
TENSiON View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote TENSiON Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 December 2013 at 2:01pm
Originally posted by nativelayer nativelayer wrote:

Diving into the nominal power discussion:
B + C driver is advertised on one site 200W Nominal Power and another 400W Continous Power.
My amp plan had been to power two of these with 400W (x2 Nominal power rating) each side - should I be thinking more along the lines of 800W (x 2 Continous power rating?
How much juice would be reasonably safe (theoretically leaving aside box dynamics)?
I have looked around regarding this and got confused with all the conflicting answers....Newbie after all :)

2x "nominal" (or 1x program power) is a good value to aim for when it comes to matching drivers to amps.

And there is no such thing as "reasonably safe". Never rely on "amp max power" for driver protection - NEVER! That's what your LMS/limiters are for..
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>