Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Plans > Ported Enclosures
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Thomann´s cheap 18" driver in G-sub?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 8>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Walle_W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Thomann´s cheap 18" driver in G-sub?
    Posted: 24 August 2010 at 12:36am
Hi there.

I have came across two "the box speaker 18-500/8-A" (Thomann.de)
Will they work in a G-sub?

This is the parameters that followed with the speaker.

Fms: 40,1Hz
Qms: 7,61
Qes: 0,45
Qts: 0,43
Res: 103,3ohm
Rms: 6,1kg/s
Cms: 0,09mm/N
Mms: 184,9gr
Nref: 2,86%
Bl: 23,8N/A
SPL: 96,6dB
Vas: 208,3l
Re: 5,5ohm
Rp: 84,1ohm
Lp: 49,0mH
Cp: 566,8microF
Le: 1,3mH

The driver costs 122euro. Should i just sell them and get the PD186 (255euro) or get to more of these and build two cabs?
I´m not out for the absolutly highest performing subs. Just for small events and mainly dancechart music. Got two tapco 6918 (single 18 reflex) and they are just a little to small for me.

Sorry for my spelling Embarrassed It´s been 10years since i opened a english school book..
Walle_W View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Walle_W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 September 2010 at 2:35pm
tought i would give it a try. 

It has higher sensitivity, plays deeper and just overall sounds better than my Tapco´s..

I could (only from comparing with my Tapco´s) clearly recomend these drivers as a budget alternative.

Is used Tapcos in serie paralell (=4r) G-sub on one channel and the Tapco´s on the other. On a T-amp TA2400 MK-X to compare.

Edited by Walle_W - 05 September 2010 at 10:51pm
Tekasis View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tekasis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 September 2010 at 2:47pm
Thumbs Up Walle,

Don't blame you mate! Sometimes you need to just try things out yourself. But be careful though, as sometimes it can become a waste of money! Glad for the update!

**Heavy Weight-Line**
A home without books is like a body with no soul.
Walle_W View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Walle_W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 September 2010 at 4:24pm
Thank you.

I got these two drivers cheap so had to try something with them.
I built two boxes and tought that if these did not work i´d buy PD or Fane to put in. But now it looks like i will be ordering two more of these Smile

Now it´s only the fun part left with fixing handles, grill and paint. Big smile

Stray-Sounds View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stray-Sounds Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 September 2010 at 2:27am
cant you get fane xbs for the same price though?

<a href="http://www.soundhirewales.co.uk/">PA & Lighting - Sound Hire Wales</a>

Walle_W View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Walle_W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 September 2010 at 11:51pm
Originally posted by Stray-Sounds Stray-Sounds wrote:

cant you get fane xbs for the same price though?

Is a bit of difference actually.

PD186     255euro
FaneXB    222euro
Thomann 122euro

And since a already got two so is it only 244euro to spend, changing to xb´s would set me back 888euro. 

Stray-Sounds View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stray-Sounds Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 September 2010 at 9:45am
I see. must be different over there. my mate haggled 1 shop down to £108 each brand new

<a href="http://www.soundhirewales.co.uk/">PA & Lighting - Sound Hire Wales</a>

tweeter box View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tweeter box Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 September 2010 at 11:10am
any idea what the xmax on the driver is?
Walle_W View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Walle_W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 September 2010 at 10:39pm
Originally posted by tweeter box tweeter box wrote:

any idea what the xmax on the driver is?

No. All that i got with them is in the first post. But i´ll email Thomman and ask.
technofreak View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote technofreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 September 2010 at 9:20am

Hi,

The datasheet of the driver is here. The X-max is 5,4 mm [(Hc-Hg)/2], or 8,15 mm if you use (Hc-Hg)/2+Hg/4. (Hg - height of magnetic gap; Hc - height of voice coil).

soundguymatt View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote soundguymatt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 September 2010 at 12:46pm
my question would be what's better? this or the fane XB? 
technofreak View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote technofreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 September 2010 at 3:34pm

They seem to be quite similar. In a 200 L box tuned to 35 Hz both have average maximum output of about 124 dB, but Fane is ultimately a bit louder below 50 Hz, whereas Thomann's is a bit louder above 60 Hz and has a bit smoother group delay curve. Both should be within their X-max limit at their RMS power - Fane's calculated X-max [(Hc-Hg)/2] is 6,5 mm, in spec sheet it's 7,5 - (Hc-Hg)/2+Hg/10; using this formula on Thomann's offering, we get 6,5 mm. If the Thomann's driver has good and consistent build quality and parameters, it should be one of the best budget 18" drivers.

Red - Thomann 18"

Orange - Fane XB

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 8>