Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Advanced Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Unity-Horn

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ibex Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Unity-Horn
    Posted: 25 August 2010 at 5:06pm
Hey fellas,
anyone of you experienced with unity horn designs (i.e. Thomas  J. Danley synergy horns)?
Do these designs provide same high SPL like simple flh designs? What about their sound quality?
Who knows what drivers are suitable for such a design?
gzg
darkmatter View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darkmatter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 August 2010 at 5:50pm
rich_gale View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rich_gale Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 August 2010 at 9:30pm
i played with a unity design.  no maths, just whacking a 1" in the centre and 4x 4" mids on each edge as close to the tweeter as possible.  very good sound.  it was used on my 'big daddy wheelie system' 12 volt.  did well at meeting a 3" vc'd 18" driver crossed over at 800hz and 5khz
REFLEX ALL THE WAY.... (however, im playing with horns again...) That ok Mister Valiant? :)
_djk_ View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote _djk_ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 August 2010 at 12:23pm

"I'm currently working on a 2 way 60x90 degree unity horn for the workshop. It uses two B&C 8NDL51 mid drivers and a BMS 4550 compression driver. The horn will cover 100Hz on up. Woodwork is complete on a pair, I just need to spend the time doing the crossovers in CALSOD. A few other projects are keeping me away from this low priority though very interesting speaker system."
http://www.cowanaudio.com/menu.html

Edited by _djk_ - 26 August 2017 at 8:33pm
djk
snowflake View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote snowflake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 September 2012 at 1:02am
very interesting photo

also read the press release

not actually a box that I would want to reverse engineer but surprised that is out on the net. still have to guess a bit at mid and cd driver t/s parameters but enough info to know whether akabak model is reasonable and move onto own 3-way designs Big smile

just worked out that's £1400 of drivers in there Shocked
mykey- View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mykey- Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 September 2012 at 3:38am

_djk_ View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote _djk_ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 September 2012 at 9:29am
You think that one might make some noise with two of those BMS co-ax HF units?
djk
jazomir View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jazomir Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 September 2012 at 9:34am
Originally posted by snowflake snowflake wrote:

very interesting photo. Not actually a box that I would want to reverse engineer but surprised that is out on the net. still have to guess a bit at mid and cd driver t/s parameters but enough info to know whether akabak model is reasonable and move onto own 3-way designs Big smile
just worked out that's £1400 of drivers in there Shocked
The reverse engineering idea is great in theory but there are two problems with this sort of design (synergy): first, the drivers. Whilst some of Danley's drivers, as with other manufacturers, would appear to be standard drivers this is often not the case - even a small change in one of the parameters can make a huge difference in how the driver reacts in a certain cab or with different loading. Secondly, the spacing of the drivers and the shape of the exit ports have to be very precise (I have read that the exit ports for some if not all of the synergy horns have a bandpass (high or low?) function. Reading between the lines, however, it would appear Danley prefers using  off the shelf drivers wherever possible - arguing that this reduces the cost of the finished product, enables easy access to replacement parts and finally, showing that good cabinet design can negate some of the problems that would necessitate the use of expensive custom speakers in lesser designs.

Having said all that, there is a video on YouTube showing a home-made (not copied) synergy horn which does sound rather good - Ok the medium is not conducive to good reproduction, but the clarity seems very good considering the drivers were cheap mostly scavenged items (there is a discussion thread on an AV forum in the US).
For sidefills, can we have two enormous things of a type that might be venerated as Gods by the inhabitants of Easter Island, capable of reaching volumes that would make Beelzebub soil his pants.
snowflake View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote snowflake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 September 2012 at 10:27am
Hi

I'm getting some pretty good sims of the mid and high sections in akabak based on dimensions from CAD drawing of a buildable box. hardest bit was getting the crossover right for the high section for which you have to multiply together two filters set at different frequencies to get the correct capacitor and coil combination. still working on the bass section which is more complicated because the front and rear are tapped into the horn. knowing which driver to use + fairly good guesses at tap positions and sizes  and chamber volumes from photos makes the number of unknown variables a lot more managable. once you get a feel for it you know what parameters to nudge to get the response and impedance right. I think it is pretty safe to assume DSL always uses stock parts as they use several different manufacturers - B&C, 18sound, Celestion and Faital Pro have all definitely been used in DSL cabs. and the point of the unity concept is that it doesn't ask ridiculous things of the drivers but uses the horn to combine the different bands together. the mid drivers in the unity horns are less than £20 each IIRC. the unity design is quite a bit more complicated than other cabs but it is still possible and there's a lot of discussion about it on different forums. I'm hoping to have a 3-way unity prototype with passive crossover in about a month - will post some pics soon Smile

cheers
Phil
Marvin View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Marvin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 September 2012 at 12:58pm
that video could be edited. sure its not a voice over. where is the wind/ background noise? person walked over to speak yet volume remained the same. not sold by that video
_djk_ View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote _djk_ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 September 2012 at 3:24am
"where is the wind/ background noise? person walked over to speak yet volume remained the same. not sold by that video"

There was plenty of wind noise, are you hard of hearing?

The camera has some sort of auto-level circuit on it, it overloaded and got grossly distorted when he moved close up. Again, are you hard of hearing?

Edited by _djk_ - 30 September 2012 at 4:53am
djk
mykey- View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mykey- Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 September 2012 at 5:20am
Perhaps he has a pukka mic

wind noise lol
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>