Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Amp Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

JTS UA5 Amplifier Test Results

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote abeltronics Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: JTS UA5 Amplifier Test Results
    Posted: 04 September 2010 at 4:44pm

Brand new amp from Jah Tubby....
http://www.abeltronics.co.uk - Electronic Engineers
tweeter box View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tweeter box Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 September 2010 at 5:14pm
Thumbs Up
MADNotInsane View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MADNotInsane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 September 2010 at 7:05pm
edit: decimal point fail 

Amp not meeting its specs then

Edited by MADNotInsane - 04 September 2010 at 7:10pm
MAD (not insane)
audiomik View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote audiomik Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 September 2010 at 8:25pm
Lewis
take it that this is a 'pre-release' version as the J.T.S. website shows:
"UA5 5000 watts ( 2 x 2500 watts ) Avalable soon"
but am I right to assess the 2 x 2500 watts to be rated for 2ohms, as it falls between the ratings for the UA6 and UA4?

let's hope the feedback from your testing can be easily resolved by J.T.S., they have a good longstanding reputation and the Amp looks well built from the pictures.
One thought, are there switches on the rear for output limiters which might for their spec be quoted as 'on'?
Mik
Warning! May contain Nuts
plus springs, washers, screws, etc, etc.
studio45 View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote studio45 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 September 2010 at 9:15pm
It won't get far in the "reggae market" without being able to do 2 ohms. MUST be a pre release version surely?
Studio45 - Repairs & Building Commotion Soundsystem -Mobile PA
abeltronics View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote abeltronics Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 September 2010 at 12:27pm
I am unsure as to whether the amp is a pre-release version, although it does look like a production model - it certainly doesn't look like a prototype, although I might be wrong. I have a feeling the amp will be fine with 2R loudspeaker loading, although it is reassuring to have an amplifier that's advertised as 2R capable performing into 2R resistive on the bench. Otherwise the design is sailing a bit close to the wind, IMHO.

I would also imagine the 2x2500W rating is supposed to be at 2R, but I couldn't reliably reproduce that on the bench. I did get over 4K peak at 2R, but that was only for a few milliseconds before the protection circuitry kicked in, and the measurement was taken by counting the graduations on the scope screen. My Hewlett Packard bench voltmeter couldn't get a lock on the signal it was so fast, so take the 4K reading with a pinch of salt.
http://www.abeltronics.co.uk - Electronic Engineers
 Post Reply Post Reply