Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Newbie Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Sound system setup

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rabbtc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Sound system setup
    Posted: 10 September 2010 at 7:34pm
Hello, you will have heard this 1000 times and i'm sorry for that but i cant seem to find a straight answer anywhere. Tonight i'm going to purchase my new sound system after my old 'ebay rig' stopped working for unkown reasons. If this was caused by me i have no idea how i did it, so this is what this thread is about.

I plan on purchasing these

4x http://www.djkit.com/product.php?id=5917 (800w RMS each)
4x http://www.djkit.com/product.php?id=1228 (500w RMS each)

I basically would like recomendations on which amps to buy to use to power these and how to wire them up with those amps, also would i need a crossover as the bass bins dont have any built in? I know a basic bit about impeadance as in if i run 2 speakers in parallel it will half them into 4ohms each instead of 8ohms but would love some professional advice before i do something i will regret.

Cheers,
Pete

4D View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 4D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 September 2010 at 7:45pm
theres a chap in the for sale section selling some yamaha P series amps LINK that would be perfect for your needs. those along with a behringer dcx2496 management system would be all you need.

Once you have those come back for further instructions on usage..

DMZ. "The bass was intense. Girls were literally running up to stand next to the subs"
rabbtc View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rabbtc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 September 2010 at 7:53pm
I've contacted him, cheers for the link!
AM55 View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AM55 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 September 2010 at 8:17pm
Ill be the first to say it, you can get more for your money if you buy second hand.

This doesn't mean taking a punt on some speakers off ebay. Contact someone who handles second hand gear like a broker and state your budget. Robbo off here springs to mind or post in the wanted section. The gear will be guaranteed in 100% working order and sometimes refurbished they may even offer a 30 day warranty.

This means you get some top notch quality pro gear rather than the stuff you have linked to that is aimed at the mobile DJ market and made with inferior components.

It is horses for courses of course, some people like to buy brand new from a shop as you know exactly what kind of service you will get etc.
rabbtc View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rabbtc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 September 2010 at 8:26pm
Yeah i have been thinking about all the options i have, i've just taken out a £4500 loan for a system and would love a proper custom rig with all the amps etc but i'm pushed for time as ive got an event coming up, that i can always push the date back on for a better system.

It's just finding a decent system when im not all that sure on what im looking for in the custom market, especially when it would be hard for me to travel to go listen to them all. I have seen a few beauties on ebay right now though.
subbass View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote subbass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 September 2010 at 8:51pm
dont get those subs!

the JRX125s are excellent for the cash, and the components can be upgraded in the future

the intimidation bass bin is crap, and no matter what you do always will be. it also wont be able to keep up with the 125s....

why not get the matching JRX (118) bass bin? its not great but will be a step up from intimidation....

whats your budget for the bass btw?
rabbtc View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rabbtc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 September 2010 at 9:15pm
I'm kind of set on a custom system now haha! Love the JRX's though.

My budget for the entire system is around £3500, i've seen a system on here for sale i quite like and alot of things i would add to it aswell. As pointed out these are more for weddings and mobile DJs when what i really want is a proper custom! just very nervous about setting it all up correctly.
rabbtc View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rabbtc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 September 2010 at 12:01am
Sorry for the double post, but im racking my brain! maybe its because i havent had alot of sleep in a while but i've been trying to work out

If i have 4x bass speakers at 1000w each (RMS) And lets say 4 mids at 500w each (RMS)  so thats 6000w in total. I buy an amp that has 2x 1000w @ 4ohms for the bass cabs but they run at 8ohms. If i run them in parallel it splits the channel down to 500w a speaker right? I have no idea why i'm finding it so hard to understand so if it splits it down to 500w a speaker via the channel the speaker isnt getting the full power is it? or am i completely wrong as i have a massive feeling i am. Cheers for any help, sure i'll get my head round it at some point.

Regards,
Peter
adamski1010 View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adamski1010 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 September 2010 at 1:11am
If you can stretch your budget just a bit (to around £4k), you could get a couple of stacks of Martin Audio W8/W8S and Crown amps from Bonza.  JBL JRX is a toy compared to a rig like Martin Wavefront.  I had a pair of JRX125s a while back, used them for small DJ jobs.  They were alright but compared to any semi-professional system, they were completely out classed in sound, build and output.

Just my opinion...
Good luck! 

Edited by adamski1010 - 11 September 2010 at 1:11am
phildat View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phildat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 September 2010 at 6:37am
cue the link to 7 pages about JRX 125s...where the general consensus is they are bloody good speakers for the money...
especially if you can be bothered to modify them.

http://forum.speakerplans.com/jbl-jrx125s_topic18831.html
Its just a ride.
rabbtc View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rabbtc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 September 2010 at 11:44am
I can get 6x 1850's unloaded for around £400. I just need to know the basics of fully setting up a system with which amps to use and how to wire them properly, using a crossover and such. I'm lost with it all right now, extremely confused on it. If i got the 1850's i'd get some void 18" 1000 Drivers for them and then id need to find some mids/tops, its just setting it all up correctly, i wouldnt wanna make any mistakes after spending a tun of money on a cracking system
AUDIO HABIT View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AUDIO HABIT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 September 2010 at 4:50am
Originally posted by rabbtc rabbtc wrote:

I can get 6x 1850's unloaded for around £400. I just need to know the basics of fully setting up a system with which amps to use and how to wire them properly, using a crossover and such. I'm lost with it all right now, extremely confused on it. If i got the 1850's i'd get some void 18" 1000 Drivers for them and then id need to find some mids/tops, its just setting it all up correctly, i wouldnt wanna make any mistakes after spending a tun of money on a cracking system

this is a much better idea... just get your self some turbosound  tops and your sorted.thers many an amp that would power them 1850's ,and get a berry ultrerdrive ,you would have a very nice rig then   
https://www.facebook.com/fxstageproductions
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>