Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Newbie Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Ultradrive DCX2496 Gain, Clip & Limiter Setup

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pirlo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 September 2010 at 12:20pm
Yeah, read about it before - I would use the +10v as relay-trigger-output for the 380v-DJ´s-balls-clip, that should be work! Wink LOL

The sound when in "protect" could be as bad as possible, together with the ball-clip, äh red-light, even the last idiot should recognize whats on!

Last questions here.
1.) do ya use it in the monitor-path as well!?
2.) Why companies like BSS built in things called "limiter" if they don´t work as a limiter should be!?
Would be "soft-limiter/watcher" not the better designation Confused

toastyghost View Drop Down
The 10,000 Points Club
The 10,000 Points Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote toastyghost Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 September 2010 at 12:55pm
Originally posted by jbinks jbinks wrote:

You simply can't "turn it up" past the level that the AVC2 is set to. If you do, it just turns it back down in sync.

This was my biggest issue with it really, if the DJ was stupid enough to not realise that pushing the mixer hard into the red is going to sound crap then they certainly didn't understand (or want to) that turning it up more made it go quieter until it eventually sounded a bit like a bad MP3.

Also, a lot of promoters seem not to care about the reason why the rig sounded weird and quiet for the headliner's set, just that it did and that can potentially cost you work.

A Drawmer SP2120 does the same job, with a cleaner effect to my ears, but keeps the volume at the same level rather than reducing it. That makes it more or less just a limiter, and one that you can leave wired in without having to take the time to explain to each DJ or the promoter how it works.
massisoda View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote massisoda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 September 2010 at 3:45pm
If my amplifier input sensitivity is 0,77 (like proline 3000) i have to set DCX2496 limiter to ?

thank you
Italian Sound
Pirlo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pirlo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 September 2010 at 4:02pm
Originally posted by toastyghost toastyghost wrote:

A Drawmer SP2120 does the same job, with a cleaner effect to my ears, but keeps the volume at the same level rather than reducing it. That makes it more or less just a limiter, and one that you can leave wired in without having to take the time to explain to each DJ or the promoter how it works.

Thats why I ask if ya put a second unit in the monitoring-path as well!?
I would set the second then a bit more "aggressive" then the main-one so se dj will notice (I hope so).

Finally the "better" the person behind the desk the better will be the sound at all but to many idiots outside these days! Angry
colinmono View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote colinmono Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 September 2010 at 4:05pm
Originally posted by massisoda massisoda wrote:

If my amplifier input sensitivity is 0,77 (like proline 3000) i have to set DCX2496 limiter to ?

Use http://www.sengpielaudio.com/calculator-db-volt.htm

To convert input sensitivity (VRMS) to dBu, and use that to answer your question... post again if you are still stuck!
massisoda View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote massisoda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 September 2010 at 4:12pm
If your amplifier input sensitivity = 0.77 VRMS = -2.27 dBV = -0.052 dBu

Correct?

How to convert this -0.052 dBu in dBFS for set the limiter in DCX2496?

-19.8dBFS : 2.2dBu = x : 0.052 dBu

I have to find the X?

Thank you

Edited by massisoda - 30 September 2010 at 4:19pm
Italian Sound
colinmono View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote colinmono Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 September 2010 at 4:29pm

If your amplifier input sensitivity = 0.77 VRMS = -2.27 dBV = -0.052 dBu

Correct?

How to convert this -0.052 dBu in dBFS for set the limiter in DCX2496?

-19.8dBFS : 2.2dBu = x : 0.052 dBu

I have to find the X?

Thank you

You are nearly there.

Once you have the sensitivity in dBu, just remember that 0dBFS on the Ultradrive = +22dBu.

The equation to give you the answer:

(Amp Sensitivity in dBu) - 22 = (Meter Reading on Ultradrive in dBFS)

So...

0.052dBu - 22 = -21.948dBFS

massisoda View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote massisoda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 September 2010 at 7:46pm
Ah ok,perfect!

I have to set to -21.95 the limiter on the DCX2496 correct?

thank you
Italian Sound
kedwardsleisure View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kedwardsleisure Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 September 2010 at 7:52pm
Quote the limiters on the dcx are not an good protection against some (enthousiast) dj's

They should be, thats what they're designed for. We've had this discussion before.

Probably fair to limit the DCX well before the amp clip so you get a bit of headroom for the poor amps. DJ's tend to 'ride' limiters meaning the amp will spend all night just below clip.

Kevin

North Staffordshire

Dom View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 September 2010 at 8:35pm
The limiters on the dcx also often don't go low enough...
"It sounded like a million fire engines chasing ten million ambulances through a war zone and it was played at a volume that made the empty chair beside me bleed."
colinmono View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote colinmono Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 September 2010 at 9:21pm

Ah ok,perfect!

I have to set to -21.95 the limiter on the DCX2496 correct?

thank you

Yep that's right. For maximum safety use the maximum release time. Shorter release times will make the limiter behave like a compressor. The long term average level will increase if the system is driven hard into the limiters.

For live music you'd be ok with a shorter release time.
massisoda View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote massisoda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 October 2010 at 3:57pm
Originally posted by colinmono colinmono wrote:

Yep that's right. For maximum safety use the maximum release time.

Maximum release time is 4000 ms,is not too much?

thank you Tongue
Italian Sound
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>