Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > General Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Turbosound tsw-124

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 8>
Author
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pfly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 October 2010 at 2:32pm
I don't want to critisize your building skills (that reflex box you build was rather nice looking actually), but I doubt your lifetime isn't long enough to reach the build quality and skills of A.S.S, who made the original TSW-124s Tongue I think there may be couple builders here overall who are able to barely reach the quality of Tony's work.
RUS View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RUS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 October 2010 at 2:46pm
that old thing i chucked together it was fine yes but it wasnt a build that i took pride in. so guess all i can do is show you guys the cabs when there built right proofs in the pudding and all that.

personally i dont think its hard to build very high quality cabs to the pro standard of the factorys good ply good tools good spray job finish good parts. and take your time.
H... View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote H... Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 October 2010 at 3:06pm
you really need 4 in a block to work, wouldn't be my first choice as they are a big f'ing lump to move around cool for an install though
Don't worry F$cked up bigger gigs than this one...........
biotec View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote biotec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 October 2010 at 3:17pm
Originally posted by RUS RUS wrote:

jbl_man i wasnt going to take the original apart to copy it. im thinking ill have know problem making replica's with a takpe meassure.

If I remeber correctly the 124 has a curved horn section at the front. Make sure you take enough measurements of the curve to be able to approximate it accurately. If you plan on making a few it would be easier to take the cab to someone with a bandsaw and just pass the cabinet through it, cutting it down the middle. It'll obviously need to be a big bandsaw.

If you cant bring yourself to chop it in half, I would take measurents every 50mm or so and then draw the curve on a bit of card, cut it out, and offer it up to the orginal to check that the curve is correct. You can then trim the card as necessary until you have a perfect template from which to make some formers. Once you have the formers you can make the curves as you like.
me so horny, me love you long throw.
4D View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 4D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 October 2010 at 3:40pm

Rus you are a loveable muppet of the highest order.
DMZ. "The bass was intense. Girls were literally running up to stand next to the subs"
RUS View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RUS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 October 2010 at 5:18pm
thanks for the positive bits guys LOL im thinking six myself H.

hi biotec all the tsw-124's ive seen have no curves. pic below

and thanks 4d well atleast the word loveble is in there. Big smile

goliath ill be getting my ply from somwhere in the uk as all i can find in ireland is birch with poplar core Dead and im not settling for that.

mk2_ginger_biscuit69 View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mk2_ginger_biscuit69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 October 2010 at 5:24pm
how many projects have you had on the go now Rus? every month is a new system plan with no avail!!! 
''Remember that the object of a subwoofer is to enhance the output of your main speakers, not overpower it''

''Dubstep - an elongated electronic fart''
RUS View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RUS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 October 2010 at 5:33pm
thats a very fair comment ginger and im so glad i took so long to make up my mind as ive found one that i much prefer over the rest.

this system will be on the way as soon as the original cab arives.

ill be getting the driver one at a time though as for the bloody cost

one thing im happy off is that ive mannaged to find an original tsw-124 to buy for the copying process. Thumbs Up

Edited by RUS - 08 October 2010 at 5:40pm
mk2_ginger_biscuit69 View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mk2_ginger_biscuit69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 October 2010 at 5:45pm
you wont be able to buy these drivers one at a time (new at least), IF you can even get them made up new, you will likely have to buy them by the batch (~ many more than you need). 

Wouldnt bother stripping the original down or making anything, untill you have the 6x drivers already - and the funds to buy the rest of the kit or you'll end up with a massive lump of money sat around useless.

Raise the funds for the entire thing and go from there.............
''Remember that the object of a subwoofer is to enhance the output of your main speakers, not overpower it''

''Dubstep - an elongated electronic fart''
TONY.A.S.S. View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TONY.A.S.S. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 October 2010 at 5:48pm
Rus, I've only just picked up this thread again, so here's another couple interesting points( I hope). Firstly, I never worked for Turbosound. When the big push came in the '80's, we were, for the first few years, the sole builder. Turbosound have never made their own cabs. We built all the TMS range. You mentioned the curves. We were the inspiration for the curves that ended up in the cabs. I was already doing this in my own stuff, and was asked whether it could be done for the TMS range. Originally, they were all straight sided curves, if that makes sense. When testing was done, the only cab that seemed better without the curves was the TSW124. And that is why there are straight parts in the horn.
As a matter interest, I only considered the 21"PD for my stuff because I thought that a 6" coil would be better at pushing a 21" cone forward than a 24" There was never enough definition the the 24 for me.
RUS View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RUS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 October 2010 at 6:10pm
arhhh i see what you mean tony. so why did you stop building for them. ?

so tony andrews designed the tsw-124 but did he create the turbosound brand. ?

so i take it tony andrews came to you and asked you to build his designs.

csg View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote csg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 October 2010 at 8:10pm
rus

have you actually heard a tsw124? 

i only say this, as they are huge, and by todays standards a long way from the state of the art
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 8>