Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > General Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

What have you done to your soundsystem today?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 5354555657 58>
Author
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Elliot Thompson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 February 2021 at 11:51pm
Picked up a few JBL Compression Drivers for $40.00 each using aftermarket diaphragms. Scrounging for original JBL diaphragms can be a tad challenging but, possible. The first diaphragm arrived today. Two more should arrive by this weekend.

Best Regards,

Edited by Elliot Thompson - 16 February 2021 at 11:52pm
Elliot Thompson
Bams View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bams Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 February 2021 at 8:26pm
Got myself an amp for bass duties in my lockdown no-budget system. a Devine MA800 for 80 euro's. exact the amount i made with my bitcoin pocketmoney-experiment this week. money well spent :) see amp internals for the nudies. 
Elliot Thompson View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Elliot Thompson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 February 2021 at 12:50am

With the new 2 AWG cable upgrade, I needed to move towards a more industrial connection. This Crouse-Hinds connection is specifically designed for 2 AWG or 1 AWG cabling. Rated 600 volts @ 100 amperes.

The two boxes will allow me to monitor the incoming voltage per leg. The next thing to get will be 100 Ampere Current Meters to monitor current consumed per leg. Although, the Electro Industries boxes are capable of monitoring amperage, they were not designed to monitor 100 amp loads.

Best Regards,

Elliot Thompson
Rengade Project View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rengade Project Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 February 2021 at 2:31pm
Purchased a Yamaha TX6n power amp
MUSIC SWEET,www.myspace.com/renegadeproject
midas View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote midas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 February 2021 at 3:28pm
Added a PKN xd4000 to run the tops.
In bass no one can hear you scream!
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Elliot Thompson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 March 2021 at 5:56pm

I picked up these JBL fifteens for $30.00 each. I quick basic sine wave sweep using 100 Hz as a 0 dB reference, offers the following in free air;

0.0 dB = 100 Hz

0.0 dB = 90 Hz

+0.5 dB = 80 Hz

+1.0 dB = 70 Hz

+2.0 dB = 60 Hz

0.0 dB = 50 Hz

-3.0 dB = 40 Hz

This falls in the realm of my low-mid requirements. I will build Double Fifteen Enclosure for these JBLs to play low-mid/mid bass frequencies from 50 Hz – 500 Hz as the Le is 0.6 mH. Not something that is top priority at the moment as I am focusing more on reconstructing the power cables at the moment.

Best Regards,

Elliot Thompson
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Elliot Thompson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 March 2021 at 9:54pm

The power cable is complete. The Westinghouse 125-A Panel Meters (one per leg) should arrive next week followed by the Current Transformers. Here is an idea on the size differential amongst two cables. The Speakon jumper cable is 12 AWG, 4 conductor whereas, the power cable 2 AWG, 4 conductor. For those who may not know, That is how the original Neutrik Speakon looked in the late 1980's.

Best Regards,

Elliot Thompson
Bams View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bams Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 March 2021 at 10:36pm
And looked far into the 90’s.. had a far better protection against drunk punters trying to take the system out as the new ones in my opinion :)
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Elliot Thompson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 March 2021 at 2:41am
Originally posted by Bams Bams wrote:

And looked far into the 90’s.. had a far better protection against drunk punters trying to take the system out as the new ones in my opinion :)

Bams, do you remember when 1/4" plugs would shake halfway out of the socket? The amplifier would ramp into protect mode and, you had squeeze your way through the crowd to get to the boxes in order to, push back 1/4" plug into the socket, so you could get the bass back. LOL

Best Regards,

Elliot Thompson
Noyzmunky View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Noyzmunky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 March 2021 at 9:05am
fixed up a few 16amp distros.

realised my projector is losing pixels at an alarming rate...
my name is Inigo Montoya...you killed my father, prepare to die!.
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Elliot Thompson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 March 2021 at 12:42am

The Amp Meters (one per leg) arrived today. The Current Transformers should arrive by next week.

Picked up this RANE PE 15 with the power supply for $40.00 around a week ago. The price was too low to pass up.

Best Regards,

Edited by Elliot Thompson - 07 March 2021 at 12:44am
Elliot Thompson
imageoven View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote imageoven Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 March 2021 at 12:37am
Hi Elliot, I don't know much about power systems in the US, is this a three phase supply distribution system you are making? Your cable looks to have 4 cores? Also is the 'barrel' of the connector metal? What are the standard power outlets typically provided as venue supplies where you are?
Keep pushing on, things are gonna get better.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 5354555657 58>