Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > General Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

What have you done to your soundsystem today?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 5455565758>
Author
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote imageoven Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 March 2021 at 12:44am
Also how long is this cable of yours? 2AWG is roughly 35mm2 which I do have experience of moving around and I know its no joke.
Keep pushing on, things are gonna get better.
Elliot Thompson View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Elliot Thompson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 March 2021 at 3:46am

It is single phase which is why, the cable offers 4 Cores. The Crouse Hinds Barrel is indeed metal in which, you have the option to ground it or not. Crouse-Hinds is popular in the commercial industrial market in the States. https://www.eaton.com/us/en-us/company/about-us/our-heritage/crouse-hinds-series.html

I own two systems. There is no way to operate my larger sound system on standard US consumer AC receptacles without a significant drop in voltage and, constantly tripping breakers. There are just too many amplifiers which equates to a lot of current required.

The smaller sound system will perform fine using standard consumer receptacles for I am using a few amplifiers. Standard US Home consumer receptacles are 15-A and, 20-A. In the Metropolitan areas the voltage will exceed 125 volts whereas, rural areas you may not see anything higher than 117 volts. You will need to share the circuit with something else (Refrigerators, Air Conditioners, Microwaves etc.) so, you can expect voltage to be lower than what is listed above.

The cable is short enough to extract 100 amps per leg under 120-volts with only a 0.8% loss which far exceeds NEC requirements. NEC requires the voltage should not offer greater than a 5% loss. I follow the old fashioned method, keep the power cables short as possible and use long runs for everything else. 35 mm2 weighs a lot and, maneuverability is very minimum. But, the performance it provides is well worth the trouble.

Best Regards,

Edited by Elliot Thompson - 08 March 2021 at 3:47am
Elliot Thompson
wires View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wires Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 March 2021 at 7:40am
Originally posted by Elliot Thompson Elliot Thompson wrote:

I own two systems. There is no way to operate my larger sound system on standard US consumer AC receptacles without a significant drop in voltage and, constantly tripping breakers. There are just too many amplifiers which equates to a lot of current required.

The smaller sound system will perform fine using standard consumer receptacles for I am using a few amplifiers. Standard US Home consumer receptacles are 15-A and, 20-A. In the Metropolitan areas the voltage will exceed 125 volts whereas, rural areas you may not see anything higher than 117 volts. You will need to share the circuit with something else (Refrigerators, Air Conditioners, Microwaves etc.) so, you can expect voltage to be lower than what is listed above.

Best Regards,

Would love to see your sound system Elliot. Have you any pics?
imageoven View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote imageoven Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 March 2021 at 8:31am
Originally posted by Elliot Thompson Elliot Thompson wrote:

It is single phase which is why, the cable offers 4 Cores.

So you use split phase (new to me, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Split-phase_electric_power ) So do you run your amplifiers on 240V then?
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Elliot Thompson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 March 2021 at 10:51am

Originally posted by wires wires wrote:

Would love to see your sound system Elliot. Have you any pics?

No pictures. That was never my style. I will post photos of the internals of an amp I recently purchased time to time or parts to add on to the sound system. That's basically it.

Originally posted by imageoven imageoven wrote:

Originally posted by Elliot
Thompson Elliot Thompson wrote:

It is single phase which is why, the cable offers 4 Cores.

So you use split phase (new to me, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Split-phase_electric_power ) So do you run your amplifiers on 240V then?

They are operated on 120 volts. The only amplifiers I own that are capable of 240 volts (or 208 single phase) are the Crown MA 5000s. However, they are used on 120 volts as well. I picked up a Bell Mixer (Made in Germany) years ago that needs 240 volts to operate properly in which, I just use a step up transformer.

120 volts is standard in the States for the majority of buildings. You may find a few buildings that offer a combination (208, 240, 480) which, are aimed for more industrial machinery. The majority of residents have 240 volts in their homes. Our electrical system is setup so you use the neutral and one hot to attain 120 volts. So it is 240 volts total or 120 volts per leg.

Red (Hot) & Neutral = 120 volts

Black (Hot) & Neutral = 120 volts

Black & Red = 240 volts

Green = GND

Best Regards,

Elliot Thompson
imageoven View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote imageoven Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 March 2021 at 1:20pm
So presumably at the end of your cable you split to red phase and black phase, each at 120v but different phases? And run half your gear on each?
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Elliot Thompson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 March 2021 at 6:29pm

The image below will give you an idea how a typical panel is wired in the United States. In the event 240 volts is required, you would use a Dual-Pole Breaker which is pictured on the left. Single-Pole Breakers are 120 volts which, are listed on the right. As this Panel does not offer a service disconnect from the feeder, this panel would be typically found in Apartments where you need Remote Panels for each Tenant.

Homes will have a service disconnect in the Panel with the feeder being sent directly from the Utility Pole into the Panel.

Best Regards,

Edited by Elliot Thompson - 08 March 2021 at 6:37pm
Elliot Thompson
Rengade Project View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rengade Project Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 March 2021 at 12:24am
About to return the recently purchased Yamaha tx6n as there are problems with it and I am bummed about it.Unhappy
MUSIC SWEET,www.myspace.com/renegadeproject
paulus View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote paulus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 March 2021 at 10:06am
washed the sound bus and ran it to work as its been stood for a few weeks :) Thumbs Up
TRENDSETTER SOUND SYSTEM
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Elliot Thompson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 March 2021 at 9:01pm

The Current Transformers arrived for the Westinghouse Meters. This should (hopefully) complete power supply upgrade. I can now move on to something else...

Getting ready to clean out the dust out of on my old California Instruments Voltage Regulator. I purchased this used 30 years ago from a pawn shop for $50.00 due to staff having no idea what it was. I bought it to maintain constant voltage for my audio processors. It can offer a constant 15 amps of current RMS @ 120 volts and, weighs as much as a Crown Macro-tech 5000vz. With the 2 AWG Power Cable upgrade, it will be used more as an Isolation Transformer to reduce noise (Ground Loops, EMI, and so forth).

Best Regards,

Elliot Thompson
imageoven View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote imageoven Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 March 2021 at 9:40pm
Does this solve a problem you are having, or have had?
mk2_ginger_biscuit69 View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mk2_ginger_biscuit69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 March 2021 at 10:07pm
make sure you plug it in with gold plated mains plugs and only use audiophile grade cable in your system, or you won't hear any difference! 
''Remember that the object of a subwoofer is to enhance the output of your main speakers, not overpower it''

''Dubstep - an elongated electronic fart''
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 5455565758>