Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Chat > Roots n Culture Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Roots Rules

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mykey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 March 2006 at 5:33am

QUOTE. myskeete

Some of those sound still sound crap but that's not due to the drivers that they use.

care to tell?.  maybe.....

1. the engineer

2. the dub-plates wearing out

3. the weed's too strong

4. the "Killer", "Destroyer" amplifier's

5. or the "Short Bread tin" pre-amp's ,  kkkksshh! kkksshhh! comin car 22, pick up at walthamstow drop off at Wipps Cross, Russian birds about to knock one out! (give birth).

that's not a pop at you mskeete, just having a bit of fun, you make good pre-amp's

but please tell dont leave us in suspense

Edited by mykey - 27 March 2006 at 5:35am
mskeete View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mskeete Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 March 2006 at 6:22pm

LOL

If I knew the exact answer then i'd be making soooooo much money (and not giving a penny to the CSA) but I think it's all of the above and more.

Some people are just stuck in thier ways and want to stick to what they know or have so much pride and get defensive if you suggest that there could be room for improvement

Some sounds have no clue about wiring their bass boxes so that they are all in phase (But still pull a massive crowd every year at carnival)

Some know exactly what they want but due to budgets....

And there are those that think that a sound system that sounds just like a hifi (decent balanced frequency response) doesn't sound right

Other sounds blatently push the amps pass what they will deliver cleanly (and pull an even bigger crowd at carinval)

I've heard people pay my preamps and make then sound like sh*t and I've heard others play them better than me

Some sounds concentrate on just playing good tunes and have a wicked vibe

I could go on and on but I'm expecting a delivery and I have some 'papers' to go through

That car 22 certainly gets about!!!

mykey View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mykey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 March 2006 at 12:54am

qoute. mskeete!

And there are those that think that a sound system that sounds just like a hifi (decent balanced frequency response) doesn't sound right

second that.

got to go, car 22's outside! kssshhhhhh!!!

Edited by mykey - 28 March 2006 at 1:37am
Dubaholic View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dubaholic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 March 2006 at 6:03am
i think a sound system needs piezos to get the right highs, ive heard sounds without them and they havent got the best top section. but some sounds do have to many, but then they run them quieter so they last longer. i think instead of buying loads of cheapies you should get some more expensive ones. look at shaka he would only have a couple of piezos on each stack and he's not missing treble.
Tom Umney View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom Umney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 March 2006 at 2:53pm
Nope titanium bullets or slots do super highs much better then piezos, and sound  much better and don't make your ears ring as much afterwards.
mykey View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mykey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 March 2006 at 11:20pm

TOXIC why do you hate piezo's so much?

i'll play them to you and you would be shocked, specially off a QUAD 520s / 520f

stop sl*gging them off please, you just havn't heard them right that's all

like i said before if John Meyer use's them in his cab's then they cant be bad 

Dubaholic View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dubaholic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 March 2006 at 6:54am
i went to jah tubbys last night  yes tuesday and his tops sound crisp and he uses piezos. it was only a small club and he was using 4 scoops, a double 18 reflex, 4 x 12" mids and about 30 piezos. all speakers were pd's. ill tell you he was rippin.

!Babylon Fall Down!
Tom Umney View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom Umney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 March 2006 at 3:57pm
Originally posted by mykey mykey wrote:

TOXIC why do you hate piezo's so much?

i'll play them to you and you would be shocked, specially off a QUAD 520s / 520f

stop sl*gging them off please, you just havn't heard them right that's all

like i said before if John Meyer use's them in his cab's then they cant be bad 

Piezos always sound like sh*te if used on their own without a filter above 8khz. I heard many stacks with piezos and didn't like the top end on any of them. LOL John Meyer doesn't use piezos strictly on their own, they are used with a filter on a special waveguide. And I recon they must sound like sh*te too. I heard the Community cabs with piezo top end and they sounded sh*te also.

And even piezos on a waveguide with a special filter, like what Cerwin Vega uses in V-252 and the single 15 inch version also.They don't sound that nice either.

Tom Umney View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom Umney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 March 2006 at 3:59pm

Originally posted by Dubaholic Dubaholic wrote:

i went to jah tubbys last night  yes tuesday and his tops sound crisp and he uses piezos. it was only a small club and he was using 4 scoops, a double 18 reflex, 4 x 12" mids and about 30 piezos. all speakers were pd's. ill tell you he was rippin.

!Babylon Fall Down!

You must have been smoking something m8. Cos last time I heard Jah Tubby's with the 30 or so piezos, it hurt my ears, sounded very harsh and my ears were ringing loudly for days afterwards.

mskeete View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mskeete Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 March 2006 at 5:58am

That doesn't mean it was because he was using piezos although I think 30 in one box is too much

I think they can sould OK if crossed over at 4K with some eq or just balanced right with the rest of the speakers.

Could be time for a tweeter shout out (I'll judge from outside the room)

Dubaholic View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dubaholic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 March 2006 at 9:35am
yes my ears ring constant toxic i cant remember not having ringing ears. i do think tubbys has always had to many piezos look at the old boxes shanti had off him but then his tops does sound good once u have got used to it.  tubbys had 4 12s then in the same box 10 piezos that would of been enough but then he had another 2 boxes of piezos which had 10 in each.  i do think  that sounds should run big compression horns and bout 10 piezos or bullets to each big stack. peace

mykey View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mykey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 March 2006 at 11:46am
toxic there not ment to be used on there own
if used on there own means without filters?
so you have been using them fullrange have you
did you tell your doctor that when you had your ears tested, how are they now, still sh-te?

Edited by mykey - 30 March 2006 at 11:47am
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>