Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Plans > HD 15 horn
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

HD15 plus FULL RANGE horn idea?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote djwes99 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: HD15 plus FULL RANGE horn idea?
    Posted: 18 October 2010 at 4:30pm
Just an idea I am running through my mind at the moment, thought I'd see if anyone with more experience of the HD15 and other horn loading principles might have thoughts on my idea.

I'm trying to decide on a lightweight Neo driver for the HD15, so far this looks to be my favourite:-

Beyma 15p80nd

looking at the thiele small parameters, the total Q is about 0.01 differentm the BL slightly less, so it might not sound as tight, but then again it's higher than both eminence kappa and kappalite, the vas is quite a bit higher, but still similar to some of the other drivers suggested with the design.

the really good bits seems to be the 100db sensativity, 1db more than pd154 and about 3db more than kappa's, and then the 800w rms and 4 inch voice coil, so power compression should be low. also the X-max is about 8mm which is about 2 more than pd154 or original kappa pro lf. And it's about 10kg lighter than a pd 154

the bad part is they are about £200 v's a kappalite at about £130

Next part of my idea..... I intend to try 2 Beyma 5g40nd drivers mounted on a relatively simple horn, above the HD15 to run everything from about 150hz all the way up to 17khz my only real reservation is the 93db sensativity, if they don't keep up i may just try using more.... I guess it's kinda a similar idea to the Bose 802 concept, I.E. single 4.5 inch driver running full range, but they Beyma is 3db more sensative, twice the power handling, and from response looks like it will need less EQ at the top end as it actually has a peak at about 10khz, they are about £50 so two of them is about the same price as a decent-ish compression driver (BTW, i hate the bose concept, but it kinda looks like the beyma driver is alot better, so it may just work)

Any thoughts please people? even better if anyone could do some frequency plotts of what might happen, thanks :o)
The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few..... or the one.
 Post Reply Post Reply