Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Plans > New Projects Forum
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - four CB-18 (cyclops) and four modified single SMT
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

four CB-18 (cyclops) and four modified single SMT

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kevinmcdonough Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: four CB-18 (cyclops) and four modified single SMT
    Posted: 23 October 2010 at 1:05am
hey all

Had this system in the works for a wee while now, since mid summer really, but various work things have taken away my time over the months as well as the problems with paint and aldcrofts that I have mentioned on another thread, so its only just coming together just now. Have blocked off my diary a bit and hope to have it finished by the end of next week so thought it was about time i got some pictures up.

System will be a pair of cyclops subs per side, V18-1000 loaded, as well as some single 12" SMTs, BMS 12S310 and BMS 4550 on RCF HF64 horn. I originally was looking at the 18sound  12ND710 for the 12" as I really liked the extra high sensitivity but couldnt get any at the time and tony recomended the 310's and done a great deal on them. Long term I will probably replace them with the 18 sounds to give a little extra volume when I also build a third cyclops for each side, but i have no doubt that the BMS's will sound great for now.

The SMt body is basically the same design but has been modified so that they keep the same baffle size, expansion rate and mouth size as the originals but are a bit taller and thinner so that two side by side are about the same width as a cyclops for stacking.

Piles of wood that will soon become speakers (and flightcases):

The more eagle eyed will note that this isnt birch ply. I have never really been able to find a good supplier of birch up here in scotland and with B&Q way up in price just now for theirs i just went with some pretty good quality WBP hardwood ply I could get through a frend fairly cheap.  Annoyingly enough however the same day it was all delivered I got a reply email from a timber company who could supply me birch for only a tiny bit more than I paid for the stuff I had! Confused  Next time!

Some tools and lots of clamps Smile   You'll also see down at the bottom right a pile of jogs i made for cutting out various handle holes, holes for catches, etc etc.  Will get a better pic of them later.

Skip a little into the build and you can see the sub wheelbases getting their T-nut holes drilled for castors:

The wheelboards for the tops all glued together, with some cyclops born sections in the back with their brace pieces drying  (and the general shape of the wheelbases "influenced" by void's stasys 3 wheelbases! Tongue):

Some of the horn section of the cyclops subs, in two parts still in that shot, with the closest one stacked roughly together just to see that the pieces fit:

Edited by kevinmcdonough - 23 October 2010 at 1:14am
kevinmcdonough View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kevinmcdonough Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 October 2010 at 1:11am

CLAMPASAURUS!   (horn path of the cyclops coming together!)

And another one

One of the partially finished tops with the horn section, comp support and sides glued into place and the 12" baffle just sat inside to check fit and see what it looked like:

another shot, lying on its back:

and the outer boxes of the cyclops subs along with two tops all stacked together into what will be one side of the PA.  Still only half finished a few of these panels are just stacked together just to see what it looks like.

Edited by kevinmcdonough - 23 October 2010 at 1:18am
t.geessounds View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote t.geessounds Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 October 2010 at 2:22am
wow nice work Clap
dropthebassncl View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dropthebassncl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 October 2010 at 9:17am
nice build Clap did the festool guide rails save much time .....?
kevinmcdonough View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kevinmcdonough Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 October 2010 at 10:09am
Originally posted by dropthebassncl dropthebassncl wrote:

nice build Clap did the festool guide rails save much time .....?

yeah i've had them for years now they're a massive help. Smile

k
djyves View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote djyves Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 October 2010 at 5:59pm
Nice build so farThumbs Up
"If brute force doesn't work, you're just not using enough!"
streetsounds View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote streetsounds Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 October 2010 at 2:21am
very nice job
Bass matters...
FlipC View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FlipC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 October 2010 at 7:32am
Subscribed!

Looking good. Cant wait to here your response on how those cyclops sound.
Have them on my to build list.
Gee136 View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gee136 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 October 2010 at 11:40am
Absolutely proper perfect professional build so far mate, good work!!!  
Goverment Sound (weight & treble roots machine)

When Goverment ah play, infidels, ginals & masqueraders run away.....
rich_gale View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rich_gale Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 October 2010 at 11:43am
nice build.  been thinking about a nice festool saw with guide rail myself.  seems like the most used tool at work at the moment.  
REFLEX ALL THE WAY.... (however, im playing with horns again...) That ok Mister Valiant? :)
dropthebassncl View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dropthebassncl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 November 2010 at 10:16pm
Originally posted by rich_gale rich_gale wrote:

nice build.  been thinking about a nice festool saw with guide rail myself.  seems like the most used tool at work at the moment.  

the rails are universal with most festool tools , only used it with a router but saved me loads of time with rebating panels ,i hired a router and a 2m rail for £10 well worth it if only doing a couple of cabs
discosucks View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote discosucks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 April 2012 at 4:17am
This thread needs a happy ending asap :D 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>