Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Feedback Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

MTH-30 (again!)

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mikey bear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: MTH-30 (again!)
    Posted: 24 October 2010 at 12:07pm
Finished the 1st of 4 cabs yesterday. Will knock up the other 3 this week. Very quick and easy build, i would have thought if a whole day was spent building then all 4 could be finished in good time. A good cabinet to try for anyone's first build, and a good introduction to building horns i think.
Also good value for money... 4 cabs from 3 sheets of 15mm and under £80 per driver.

First impressions after testing in the garage were positive, cab sounds good and goes low enough for most types of music. Although with a -3db point of 52hz it doesn't quite do justice to some of the heavier digidub/dubstep records.

I'll add more when i've tested all 4 in a small venue soon and worked out some PEQ settings.

Saul View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Saul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 October 2010 at 12:21pm
i too heard one of these the other day and was pleasantly surprised. nice sounding bass, and quite accurate. 

they don't drop very low, but i reckon if you piled them up in a stack of 8 they would! 

great little things for the size of them!! 
mikey bear View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mikey bear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 October 2010 at 12:26pm
i'm expecting my stack of 4 to be quite pokey. i'm not sure however on the theory of coupling and tapped horns ie if they even couple at all. if anyone can shed some light on that one i'd be most grateful.
S DeXter View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote S DeXter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 October 2010 at 12:32pm
Nearly all cabs will couple due to the increase in radiation surface.
Enjoy your self...... It's later than you think.......
GekoMusic94 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GekoMusic94 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 October 2010 at 12:52pm
Looks goodClap! What's the tops?
https://soundcloud.com/dj-uber
mikey bear View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mikey bear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 October 2010 at 12:57pm
Turbosound TQ310
Tony Wilkes View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tony Wilkes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 October 2010 at 1:29pm
They couple as in mutual radiation but I do not believe that you get any additional extension at low frequencies, at least not to the degree of RLH.

Tony
www.forteaudio.eu - BMS - db-Mark Processors - Lexon (SAE)

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GekoMusic94 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 October 2010 at 1:30pm
1 sub is enough for 1 top?
subbass View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote subbass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 October 2010 at 6:06pm
1 MTH-30 to two 8" top for live work

1 MTH-30 to one 8" top for dance music <- most cost effective option imo

2 MTH-30 to one 8" top for heavier bass

my findings Thumbs Up

Edited by subbass - 24 October 2010 at 6:22pm
rich_gale View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rich_gale Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 October 2010 at 6:15pm
how high will this play before sounding grunty and harsh?  lovely looking little cab
REFLEX ALL THE WAY.... (however, im playing with horns again...) That ok Mister Valiant? :)

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GekoMusic94 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 October 2010 at 6:21pm
I think my MTH-30 and my 2 8" tops ( http://www.fbt.it/ENG/PAE/PRODOTTI/SPEAKERS/JOLLY/Jolly-8r-a/ ) are perfect for dance music because the tops SPL is only 114 db...
What do you think?

subbass View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote subbass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 October 2010 at 6:21pm
~150hz in my experience. above / around there it starts to sound a bit off

Edited by subbass - 24 October 2010 at 6:23pm
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>