Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > General Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Decwares wicked one sub...

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 7>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rich-ind.st Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 April 2006 at 4:07pm

work to the inside of the line, disregard the 45 deg line in the orange circle of randomness, never worked it out why the plans say that but built 3 of these now and its always been slightly off, using the other 2 lins seemed logical, id always assumed it would meet up if it was made 24" deep but obivously not, i'll be interested to hear your opinions on it once youve built it.

...they gave you what?
ashnono View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ashnono Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 April 2006 at 5:15pm
I'm abit worried at the volume of the sealed chamber for a 12" driver. Think
it will physically fit. Seems loads smaller than the bigger version though.

Richie T View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Richie T Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 April 2006 at 7:33pm
I wonder what would happen if you put the 12" LAB drivers in these... just a thought... anyone tried it? 
tb_mike View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tb_mike Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 April 2006 at 3:04am

Originally posted by Richie T Richie T wrote:

I wonder what would happen if you put the 12" LAB drivers in these... just a thought... anyone tried it? 

I wouldnt bother-id rather be safe and use a prosound driver with more difference between xmech and xmax since its not hornloaded < =text/>

Timber_MG View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Timber_MG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 April 2006 at 4:23pm
@tbmike, at LF what matters is the effective mouth size (make it equal to frontal area) and the length of the cab becasue the resonance dominates it. At the spot where the piece narows, all modes with a pressure peak will be less affected and where there is a velocity peak it will be slightly damped, though this will get a little hairy to really model.

Perhaps see what happens when you take the effective helmholz frequency predicted by hornresponse when modelling the first triangle purely as a front chamber and doing a band-pass. Overlay this on a hornresponse plot with a larger front chamber and horn length a little shorter that front-back of the two triangles and look where there is a velocity peak at the narrowing bit (paper modal analysis) which will presumably be more damped.

Signing off (long time no see, too busy)

Martin
tb_mike View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tb_mike Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 May 2006 at 10:06am

Hi martin,nice to see you around.

Can some one PLEASE measure one of these,thanks

rich-ind.st View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rich-ind.st Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 May 2006 at 12:47pm

still meaning too, need a mic , got smaart live. somoen was saying the other week that they had never heard the system check track where the 37hz bass tone was louder than the 60hz bass tone and that was with 8 labs or somethin, made me laugh as thats the only way ive heard it :)

i reckon if your trying to do semi pro rig hires and small festivals and have cash, yea build a pile of labs, the theory behind them is very sound and they definately work. for free partys though you definately do not need 4-6 of these to get low, the thought of 6 of them makes me grin and cringe at the same time as it would destroy any given venue in sheffield as far as im concerned, not literally but the crowd would definately know about it.

its not just the lowness thats good about these things its the way they deliver the bass, low thuds are stupidly punchy, you can argue the physics of this box is all wrong, it is, thats another reason why i love em, they shouldnt work but they do, they work well with most stuff ive played through them over the past 2 years of living with one in my home stereo . which i also reccomend them for

...they gave you what?
Timber_MG View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Timber_MG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 May 2006 at 4:14pm
Yeah, been a little crazy of late. Am trying to make a round once a week or so but rarely get around to posting. A measuerment of these would certainly be interresting.
pooju View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pooju Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 2006 at 10:58am
@james/rich ind. st.  and  those in the Know

just wondering if you had any thought's on putting some of these celestions in a 15 verson of the WO, given the difficulties on modelling it? 
http://professional.celestion.com/pro/products/pdf/TF-1530.p df

Their output looks a little miserable below the 40 - 88 db but how about two, there's not much info on how it was measured.

the reason i ask is that their just under 50 quid a go, and i have some spare wood at the mo and free channel on a pv2600.

it would only cost me 110 for materials, hhmm

rich-ind.st View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rich-ind.st Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 2006 at 11:27am

do it, the origional wicked one i built was for 10's as per the plans, the drivers were the cheapest range from a awfull car driver manufacturer, they cost $11 each, with at most 88db efficiency and 3 mm x max they managed t produce a fair ammount of bass.

basically if you put speakers capable of any bass output in one of these cabs they will make bass, probably a reasonable ammount more than if you had em in reflex cabs.

having said that ive just looked at the pdf for that driver and might be inclined to say it probably wont sound great, culd be wrong though, maybe see what other drivers are available in that price range, even look at car drivers as thats what it was designed for?

getting to play with 2 wo's and 4 martin 215's tonight for some psytrance, finally in a venue big enough for them to be turned up and run stereo. took 2 martins and 2 wo's out to a small festival last year, got noise complaints from 3 and a half miles away which i though was pretty respectable :)

...they gave you what?
pooju View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pooju Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 2006 at 11:46am
Nice one Rich cheers for the info, I'll look into other drivers and lol yes the clue was in the question: i'll be looking into car drivers too!

I've been trying to find out if its only the 18inch celestion [as immortalised by the usb bin] that's worth having, will report back soon.

Let us know how it goes tnite, especially the compliant radius [3.5 ffffookin miles!! mwmwmwhahahaha!!!]

ashnono View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ashnono Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 June 2006 at 11:39am
right then.  Powered it up today.  The lid leaks abit cos I aint got the proper gasket tape yet but it'll do to get an idea.

At first I wasnt overwhelmed, but i've had it playing for a couple of hours now and its certainly gettin nicer.  I can deffo see that its gonna be a nice little box once the drivers are broke in and i'm making a pair for sure.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 7>