Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Amp Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Amp Internals 2

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 260>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Earplug View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Earplug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 December 2023 at 1:38pm
Originally posted by jbl_man jbl_man wrote:

Yup, ditto, would run a mile from that nonsense. I bet even the manufacturers don't repair them, will just swap out for new modules, at silly cost. Pass. Dead

Yes, that's the norm. Depends on how bad they are. If there were burned out tracks, or similar, I would not have touched them.

These weren't too badly damaged - just some odd damage - a few blown O/P MOSFETS, some diodes gone and one had a bad LM317. Quite a mixture. I've managed to get a couple going already, so let's see. Otherwise it is just new modules & hope for the best!  Smile
Earplugs Are For Wimps!
EmPro View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote EmPro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 December 2023 at 1:35pm
well....then let him pay LOL
EmPro Audio
Earplug View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Earplug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 December 2023 at 1:33pm
Yes, I agree. I would never touch anything like that for my own system - but I still need to pay the rent! You can't always turn down the work. And he needs them for a New Years Eve party, so willing to pay to get them going. I did suggest just making the cabs passive & buying some decent amps, but he just laughed.   LOL LOL LOL

Earplugs Are For Wimps!
EmPro View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote EmPro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 December 2023 at 11:59am
Originally posted by jbl_man jbl_man wrote:

Yup, ditto, would run a mile from that nonsense. I bet even the manufacturers don't repair them, will just swap out for new modules, at silly cost. Pass. Dead

That's exactly what they do,they quote them as not repairabile and advice full replacement for silly money,if you want your crap back on...you need to pay,yeah....i'll pass as well LOL

Edited by EmPro - 23 December 2023 at 12:13pm
EmPro Audio
jbl_man View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbl_man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 December 2023 at 11:08am
Be seeing you.
EmPro View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote EmPro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 December 2023 at 9:51am
I don't ever bother to accept craps like that for repairs LOL the only way to have trust again in those is to buy new ones LOL so i don't even loose my time useless.
EmPro Audio
Earplug View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Earplug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 December 2023 at 9:30am
I've been fighting with these for the last few days:--

Owner thinks that it may have been a voltage spike on the mains that took them out, but the varistors/fuses were all ok, so I somehow doubt that. Most probably just coming to the end of their useful lives!    LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL

Edited by Earplug - 23 December 2023 at 1:27pm
Earplugs Are For Wimps!
Earplug View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Earplug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 December 2023 at 9:37am
Yes, I did like the fact that there is a bit of space in there to work - unlike the bigger models, that are far too crowded!  Smile

The owner also brought me an IMQ Stageline STA750 - quite badly damaged and a couple of BSS injection boxes to repair. 

All done now, so I offered to waive my fee for the repairs - in exchange for the Crest!   LOL

Still waiting for a reply from him.    Smile

Earplugs Are For Wimps!
EmPro View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote EmPro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 December 2023 at 9:10am
Had a P4000,the nice one with scale vu-meters,beast of an amp :) quite similar to this one internaly :)
EmPro Audio
ChrisWard View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ChrisWard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 December 2023 at 8:53am
That Crest does look well made and structured inside
Earplug View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Earplug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 December 2023 at 4:26pm
I've had an odd week, with 2 old Crests coming in for repair. 

An 8001, which just has a dodgy input select switch - no big problem - and this old beauty:-

I was at first a bit worried at seeing that it had been modified:-

But the problem turned out to be quite simple - just a dodgy multipin cable. All good now & ready for another 30 or so years of service!   Clap

I do like the lump of transformer it has. Good for life!   LOL

Earplugs Are For Wimps!
kedwardsleisure View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kedwardsleisure Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 September 2023 at 3:03pm
QSC PL380, made in USA.
A nice clean example which make a change from the norm.

Kevin

North Staffordshire

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 260>