Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Amp Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Amp Internals 2

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 226227228229230 260>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Earplug View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Earplug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 August 2019 at 2:06pm
Originally posted by jbl_man jbl_man wrote:

A new one on me too. Looks like someone saw the front panel on an HH V800 and copied it.  Not seeing how that fan on the back is cooling those heatsinks on the sides though?

Yes - the design/look is a definite copy of HH, Studiomaster, etc, etc. The fact is that it is still going strong after maybe 40 years of service - and sounds good as well.   Smile

The fan:-  maybe there to keep the transformer cool...   LOL

EDIT: And 10 devices per side is how it was done when amps were amps.  Smile   Today they stick 3/4 per side and call it 5000W!  Ouch Confused Ouch

Edited by Earplug - 13 August 2019 at 2:08pm
Earplugs Are For Wimps!
TMH Music View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TMH Music Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 August 2019 at 8:58pm
Looks like our good old friend the classic J50 K135 Hitachi mosfet design. I think Ramses the third had one of these and it’s still going strong!!! Bomb proof amp design!!!
Nothing is foolproof because fools are so ingenious
bruce@bluff View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bruce@bluff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 August 2019 at 6:49am
And I will take one these any day over modern class d rubbish. Just got myself 2 x BGW7500 that where going to get thrown away still working perfectly after 40years may need a recap though
jbl_man View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbl_man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 August 2019 at 8:56am
^ Completely agree with the above comments, show me one of these modern amps that will still be working after 40 years. Can you imagine in year 2059 trying to fix a 40 year old Powersoft? LOL 
Be seeing you.
TMH Music View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TMH Music Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 August 2019 at 12:21pm
Originally posted by jbl_man jbl_man wrote:

^ Completely agree with the above comments, show me one of these modern amps that will still be working after 40 years. Can you imagine in year 2059 trying to fix a 40 year old Powersoft? LOL 

Too true sir, add trying to repair the Powersoft to the list of recreational impossibilities!!!
Nothing is foolproof because fools are so ingenious

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bruce@bluff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 August 2019 at 12:34pm
Here's the plan chaps, find a non working powershite rip out all the insides, find a transformer that will fit in a 2U case install 2 x Autona AL125 modules close it up and give it back to the client and see if he notices the difference, problem solved       

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bruce@bluff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 August 2019 at 12:37pm
OH and I forget to add that modification should work for another 40 years
Earplug View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Earplug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 August 2019 at 1:21pm
Originally posted by TMH Music TMH Music wrote:

Looks like our good old friend the classic J50 K135 Hitachi mosfet design. I think Ramses the third had one of these and it’s still going strong!!! Bomb proof amp design!!!

Yes - almost. This one uses the 'big brother' J55/K175, rail voltage +/- 90V.

And yes - very little, especially amps - are made to last these days. Sad, really as we destroy our environment with more and more (electronic) junk.   Cry

Edited by Earplug - 14 August 2019 at 1:21pm
Earplugs Are For Wimps!
kedwardsleisure View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kedwardsleisure Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 September 2019 at 5:39pm
Can't wait to test these 1800W EV active bass bins, from the blurb they sound awesome.

Kevin

North Staffordshire

jbl_man View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbl_man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 September 2019 at 5:54pm
Nice looking driver, surely that's not the amplifier above? Looks more like a car ECU!
Be seeing you.
M4trix View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M4trix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 September 2019 at 7:04pm
My Goodness ! Another doorbell ! Kevin, you've been repairing only doorbells lately. LOLWink
kedwardsleisure View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kedwardsleisure Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 September 2019 at 11:06pm
DVX3180A driver...and faulty.
The bass bin was dissapointing. Sounded loud in the room but stepping through the door and the SPL went to nothing, wonder what that signifies.
Kevin

North Staffordshire

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 226227228229230 260>