Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Amp Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Amp Internals 2

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 229230231232233 260>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Sonic the hedge View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sonic the hedge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2020 at 12:39am
Originally posted by Earplug Earplug wrote:

Yup - nice amps. I doubt whether too many of the modern Class D, etc. will make it into the next decade or two, like the stuff that was made back then. 

Agree, my DXs are over 30 years old, the first 12 years in a club install getting ragged week in week out. But well looked after. 

Modern class D stuff just isn't as maintainable IMO.

Originally posted by Earplug Earplug wrote:

I have loads of old Crest - and an old Harrison P900 Mosfet that I still use. Recently "modernised" the Harrison by adding some speakons!   

Always nice to see user mods keeping these oldies useful Thumbs Up

Not much experience with Harrisons, but a K1000 was the only amp I ever managed to thermal. Again not one of mine, perhaps there was something wrong with it? And to be fair to the K1000, I was dealing with a pretty clueless FOH engineer at the time, which didn't really help LOL

Edit - well apparently the newer K series are known to be a bit rubbish but the older Harrison's are all good
Originally posted by evolution evolution wrote:

harrison amps used to b nice bits of kit 
we had about 20 of them at one point  still got a few k 2000 /k3000/k 4000. xi 1000/950 ect
the earlyer k series are loads better than the later ones that were produced basicly the ones with the block leds are sweet 
the later k seres with the round leds are all crap more faluts than u can shake a stick at stay well away 

Edited by Sonic the hedge - 20 May 2020 at 1:43pm
Earplug View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Earplug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2020 at 10:22am
" Friend of mine has one special model which I cannot find any information, model is X1600.
It weights about 40kg. It has two stacked toroidal transformers and 32 mosfets / channel. Rail voltage is +/- 60Volts so I think it has full bridge circuit for each channel."

Yes - I had one of those. It got left at a friends lockup - and knicked!  Cry

As you say, each channel wired in bridge.

Earplugs Are For Wimps!
Tonskulus View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tonskulus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2020 at 10:48am
Originally posted by Pinyorouk Pinyorouk wrote:

Yes, I have one X1600. Also a Harrison Xi2000. Out of interest, why do you call it special? 

"Special" because it seems to be pretty rare amp when it comes to google. 

Does someone have schematics for it btw?  Would be pleasure to find it :)

Edited by Tonskulus - 15 May 2020 at 10:48am
jjpa View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jjpa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2020 at 5:56pm
this thread just reminded me. I put a harrison x1000 in the loft around 15 years ago. used the amp for years and loved it on bass. will look tomorrow and post it's innards up. have a feeling after all these years it's not going to be pretty. I feel a restoration project coming on.
The music is only to loud when it's distorted!!!
JR.junior View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JR.junior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 May 2020 at 12:18pm
Repaired Crown XTi 4000. IGBT´s and driver fatals.

Support the scoop technology, larger mouth plays louder!
Sonic the hedge View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sonic the hedge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 May 2020 at 1:17pm
Originally posted by Tonskulus Tonskulus wrote:

"Special" because it seems to be pretty rare amp when it comes to google. 

Does someone have schematics for it btw?  Would be pleasure to find it :)

Have a looksie here

Old thread but member Mhamplification does mention that they had a schematic for x1600, not been active for a while but worth trying a PM I guess

Edited by Sonic the hedge - 20 May 2020 at 1:20pm
kedwardsleisure View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kedwardsleisure Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2020 at 2:23pm
Chinese amp with 'ICE 1400' marked inside.
Not sure it's a B & O ice power unit, mind you.

Kevin

North Staffordshire

jbl_man View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbl_man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2020 at 4:43pm
Nine seems an odd number of smoothing capacitors?
Be seeing you.
Peter Jan View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Peter Jan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2020 at 6:08pm
I see two different groups of capacitors, maybe one set is primary and the other secondary ?
Earplug View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Earplug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2020 at 6:27pm
Originally posted by jbl_man jbl_man wrote:

That´s B&O for you. Hifi. An even number would upset the cosmic equilibrium!     LOL

Earplugs Are For Wimps!
M4trix View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M4trix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2020 at 7:45pm
Originally posted by jbl_man jbl_man wrote:

Do you have some sort of OCD ? Like, everything needs to be in pair ? I have OCD as well but
didn't notice the 9th capacitor ! LOL
kedwardsleisure View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kedwardsleisure Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2020 at 8:55pm
4 mains dc smoothers and the other 5 are the secondary. Only a single ended power supply as it's class-D full bridge.

Switched it on and something went BANG
Kevin

North Staffordshire

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 229230231232233 260>