Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Amp Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Amp Internals 2

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 244245246247248 260>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Earplug View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Earplug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 June 2023 at 5:26pm

Gordian Knot.

Get out the angle grinder!   LOL

Earplugs Are For Wimps!
ceharden View Drop Down
The 10,000 Points Club
The 10,000 Points Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ceharden Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 June 2023 at 12:01am
Once I got in by removing one of the latches, I was greeted by another wonderful piece of design.  The remains of the (under-rated) integrated SMPS controller/MOSFET soldered to what can loosely be described as a heatsink (bit of bent tinned copper sheet).  The top of the IC had in fact fallen out of the chassis at the customers house but by some miracle they managed to find it, photograph it and I've been able to determine the part number.

I had to remove the two electrolytic capacitors in front to get access and it was a good thing that I did because one of the capacitor legs was broken and had either been arcing or had melted when the IC blew.

I'm not giving the repair a high chance of long term success but I have managed to remove the old IC and order a new one.  Given the price of a new board it's worth a go!

Earplug View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Earplug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 June 2023 at 9:22am
Got a couple of these in for repair a few days ago:-

I'm not sure how long they'd been in storage, but given the dust (& cobwebs Smile), quite a while.   LOL

Anyway, the guy would like to get them up & running.

Just cracked open the first one and found this "improvement":-

Oh man....  LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL

Funnily enough, the rest of the board looked (& tested) ok.

In the end, the problem was the 12" driver - totally cooked. Got the thing running ok now. Will tackle the other asap.  Smile

Earplugs Are For Wimps!
EmPro View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote EmPro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 June 2023 at 10:38am
,,I'm not giving the repair a high chance of long term success but I have managed to remove the old IC and order a new one.  Given the price of a new board it's worth a go!''

The main reason i hate SMPS....good only for low power aplications,smps should be banned from AF aplications Confused and insteed of makeing 20kw power amplifiers...maybe they should focus to make god damn efficient speakers that don't require 10kw of power for 130db of sound pressure....

Edited by EmPro - 10 June 2023 at 10:44am
EmPro Audio
EmPro View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote EmPro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 June 2023 at 10:43am
Originally posted by Earplug Earplug wrote:

Got a couple of these in for repair a few days ago:-

I'm not sure how long they'd been in storage, but given the dust (& cobwebs Smile), quite a while.   LOL

Anyway, the guy would like to get them up & running.

Just cracked open the first one and found this "improvement":-

Oh man....  LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL

Funnily enough, the rest of the board looked (& tested) ok.

In the end, the problem was the 12" driver - totally cooked. Got the thing running ok now. Will tackle the other asap.  Smile

Never liked any of the BOSE's craps...except the ones BGW made for them the 1800 series,those are proper power amps,basically BGW under the hood Smile

Edited by EmPro - 10 June 2023 at 10:49am
EmPro Audio
Earplug View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Earplug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 June 2023 at 11:39am
Yes - Bose is/was more about BS than reality - but some people love them. I do believe that their noise-canceling headphones are quite good. What I call ironic!!   LOL LOL LOL

Earplugs Are For Wimps!
EmPro View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote EmPro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 June 2023 at 11:45am
indeed they do good headphones LOL
EmPro Audio
jbl_man View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbl_man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 June 2023 at 1:33pm
We have a winner! Well done Earplug, congratulations on posting the worst, and ugliest speaker ever made.  What on earth were Bose thinking when they made these things? They look like the back-end of a 1980's Cathode ray tube TV. LOL
Be seeing you.
Earplug View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Earplug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 June 2023 at 1:45pm
Thank You!

It's called Innovation!  LOL

Earplugs Are For Wimps!
EmPro View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote EmPro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 June 2023 at 1:51pm
looks more like a 1930's valve radio LOL

Edited by EmPro - 10 June 2023 at 4:51pm
EmPro Audio
madboffin View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote madboffin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 June 2023 at 8:41pm
That radio looks (and probably sounds) much better than the Bose...
EmPro View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote EmPro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 June 2023 at 8:42pm
Originally posted by madboffin madboffin wrote:

That radio looks (and probably sounds) much better than the Bose...
That's for sure LOL
EmPro Audio
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 244245246247248 260>