Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Amp Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Amp Internals 2

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 45678 260>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
kedwardsleisure View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kedwardsleisure Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 December 2010 at 8:37pm
Yes the myriad of little caps on the right on the camco are the bus caps high and low. The ones on the left bottom are the mains reservoir caps for the SMPSU.

I dont suppose it matters if they're small if the SMPSU is high enough frequency!

Camco vortex 6 will do 6600W into 1 ohm in parallel mono or 4 ohm bridge.

Kevin

North Staffordshire

njw View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote njw Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 December 2010 at 12:03am
Originally posted by andyamp andyamp wrote:

I used them in the early days big mistake.
they leaked electrolyte.
LCR stands for "leaky capacitor rubbish".
compleate useless.
put them in the bin.

LCR electronics were very local to where I live, they had two workshops, one of them burnt down......
Monitech View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Monitech Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 December 2010 at 5:07pm
LCR caps were always great fire starters
phoenix out of the ashes
andyamp View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote andyamp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 December 2010 at 5:33pm
LCR POS
a wise man changes his mind a fool does not.
http://www.matrixamplification.com/
njw View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote njw Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 December 2010 at 8:28pm
A couple of oldies, A late HH MA150 and an early MA100

Note the additional 'soft start' circuit(also converted to IEC inlet) which seems to work well.
Powered by these(RCA 2n3773)

The best part of these amps(apart from the sound obviously)!!

Apart from a few crackly pots both these amps work perfectly although the earlier MA100 does run slightly hotter than the later 150 but it also sounds sweeter, they're also suprisingly loud!! 

DjLeco View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DjLeco Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 December 2010 at 12:51am
Originally posted by kedwardsleisure kedwardsleisure wrote:

Camco vortex 6 will do 6600W into 1 ohm in parallel mono or 4 ohm bridge.

From an ETD 59 Core?
 Be serious!LOL

With alot of hard, I obtained 4400Watts of Pure Power from an ETD 59 core, on mine Resonant mode SMPS.

3500 Watts continuous from ETD 59 yes, is believable, but 6000Watts, regarding amplifier and SMPS randament,means around 7200-7500 Watts from the power supply stageDead.

Also EMI filters are rated for 16 Amps, and power cable looks to be 2,5mm section, usable till 4 Kw.

Edited by DjLeco - 23 December 2010 at 12:55am
I'm A Stupid SMART Romanian...
kedwardsleisure View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kedwardsleisure Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 December 2010 at 1:19am
I didnt make that up, I just read it off the back label
Kevin

North Staffordshire

cilla.scope View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Legs all the way to her bottom....

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cilla.scope Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 December 2010 at 7:24am
ahh .. wow.

Now, that is NICE! ... got to be right up there with the Peavey IPR stuff in terms of production engineering.  Cooling layout is good, someone thinking "out of the box" there ... few too many relays, but, very nice layout .. thats a neat amp!

I think they could have offered a lot more in that little DSP than just two filters, but I suspect thats a marketing decision rather than a technical limitation. You can just see their custom drive chips to the left of the two main output heatsinks .. from reading their blurb, they are a custom ASIC from TI ... you don't go that route unless you are planning on making a LOT of them ... and it helps keep the competition from copying them :)

Interestingly, the DSP area appears to have been auto-routed .. quite unusual to see much autorouted layout on audio gear ..
My girlfriend thinks I'm a stalker.
Well, she's not exactly my girlfriend yet ...
tweeter box View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tweeter box Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 December 2010 at 1:10pm
is there an internall pic up anywhere for the MC2 E90?? 
VentureSound View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VentureSound Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 December 2010 at 2:01pm
Originally posted by cilla.scope cilla.scope wrote:

ahh .. wow.

Now, that is NICE! ... got to be right up there with the Peavey IPR stuff in terms of production engineering.  Cooling layout is good, someone thinking "out of the box" there ... few too many relays, but, very nice layout .. thats a neat amp!

I think they could have offered a lot more in that little DSP than just two filters, but I suspect thats a marketing decision rather than a technical limitation. You can just see their custom drive chips to the left of the two main output heatsinks .. from reading their blurb, they are a custom ASIC from TI ... you don't go that route unless you are planning on making a LOT of them ... and it helps keep the competition from copying them :)

Interestingly, the DSP area appears to have been auto-routed .. quite unusual to see much autorouted layout on audio gear ..

What do you think all those SMT resistors and leaded poly caps are underneath the speaker terminals are? Looks like it may be part of the output LPF? Not sure why there are all those resistors.
cilla.scope View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Legs all the way to her bottom....

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cilla.scope Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 December 2010 at 2:31pm
I suspect they are the output Zobel network, you can't get very big SMT resistors, and they obviously preferred 50 SMT resistors to 1 hand inserted leaded device ... 50 SMTs will have been cheaper both in component count and assembly costs.
My girlfriend thinks I'm a stalker.
Well, she's not exactly my girlfriend yet ...
jbl_man View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbl_man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 December 2010 at 3:19pm
Originally posted by njw njw wrote:

A couple of oldies, A late HH MA150 and an early MA100

I allways wondered why HH never added an extra output stage,and made it a stereo (2x100w) amp.there was allways plently of room to have done it.....especially in the S130 slave,which was mostly fresh air inside!
Be seeing you.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 45678 260>