Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Plans > MT122
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

MT121 vs MT130

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jerronimo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 February 2012 at 11:58am
Bump!

Yes good question, I'm planning to build the mt-130 for my next spring project.
Marc the designer recommends the pd121 as a budget driver.
But there must be other(more expensive) drivers that have better soundquality.

How about these:

18sound mb600
b&c 12pe32
Beyma 12MI100

All of these are around 150 euro's so not that much more expensive.

jerronimo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jerronimo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 February 2012 at 5:48pm
No one?
CCAV View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CCAV Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 February 2012 at 6:41pm
Originally posted by CCAV CCAV wrote:

Has anyone made an MT130 with double 12 and 2" I'm planning on 2-12" speakers with a 2" over top of the 12's I was wondering if by adding another 12 would this cause any problems and also most importantly, would I need to make two completely independent horns for the 12"s or could they be combined sharing the horn mouth area without a divider in between Thanks in advance for any input

Here's an update of what I'm working on This is a pic of a double MT 130 I'm working on This is just a mock up of my patterns to build this box. They are to go on top of Stipe's CBe 18 I've shortened the depth of the cabinet (horn length by about 2 1/2") so the width of the cabinet will fit on top of the Cyclops side by side The horn properties are still the same. I know I will lose some of the lows but I'm hoping to pick it back up by doubling the 12"s

Edited by CCAV - 27 February 2012 at 6:46pm
In my early years my favorite phrase was "If it's too loud your too old" Now I'm just too old
jerronimo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jerronimo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 March 2012 at 8:35pm
What driver's are you going to use ccav?
CCAV View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CCAV Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 March 2012 at 10:19pm
I have about 20- EV 12L laying around, so I emailed Marc (the designer of the MT 130) and he said this driver will work in this box. I know it's not the most efficient driver these days but I've got a feeling if I'm running 8 tops over 8 Cyclops I can make enough noise to keep me happy. LOL   I've always been a do it on a budget type of guy.I'm hoping to finish up the woodwork on the first 4 tops for testing, this weekend
What are you using for your rig?

In my early years my favorite phrase was "If it's too loud your too old" Now I'm just too old
jerronimo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jerronimo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 March 2012 at 9:03pm
Yes that should make plenty of noise!Smile

Still not decided about the mid drivers, it's going to be the B&C or the Beyma.
The b&c is a bit more efficient but the beyma has higher powerhandling and xmax, and therefore should be able to be crossed a little lower without hitting the xmax.

I'm planning to build:

4x mt-130 loaded with b&c or beyma and BMS 4550 comp. driver
4x MHB-46 loaded with rcf lf18n401 or lf18g401 or maybe the void V-1000

So I can use 1 mhb-46 and mt130 a side for small events and 2 of both a side for larger events.
Or 4x mhb-46 centre stacked when space is available.Smile

Keep us updated with your buildprogress, allways nice to see other people's efforts.Thumbs Up

Absulum View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Absulum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 2012 at 6:08pm
How much does the rear chamber size matter with a box like this? Thinking of making two of these without the HF horn section. By no means a master carpenter, and would like to make the box square rather than trap, which would result in a larger rear chamber (and less mitre joints).
There is also mention of this being long throw - will it sound ok in smaller venues too?

jwdrain View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jwdrain Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 May 2012 at 11:00pm
what are the differences between MT121s and MT130s? Just the throw?
kevinmcdonough View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kevinmcdonough Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 May 2012 at 11:18pm
hey

both are hornloaded mids and both add a good chunk of sensitivity to whatever 12" you use. The MT-130 reportedly goes slightly lower, and it a little bit flatter. They will have a slightly different sound with the 130 being a slot throat, and people describe the fact that the seem to give the impression of being VERY "long throw" to the point of almost sounding weird up close.

Once I get my current build out the way i plan to make up some mock ups of the 12" section over the summer and try it out, both with a BMS 12N810 (have two for testing already had this in the back of my head for a while) and an either an eighteensound mb600 or mb1000 (which i'll have to get) and see what they sound like.

Long term plan is to make two tops a side that are double 12" high sensitivity drivers (much like above) with the big coax BMS compression driver, and have a go at a double 15" bifurcated ported horn and make three of them a side to sit under.

The main problem is that while loads of people have built MT-122s or MT112s,  there seems to be very few that have built 130s and no one that I know that has both, so there hasn't really been a huge amount of feedback on them or any chance to properly compare the two.

k

Edited by kevinmcdonough - 15 May 2012 at 7:27am
MarjanM View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MarjanM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2012 at 12:59am
Kevin, please do report on those 12N810. I am also planing some box with those. On paper they look extremely good.
Marjan Milosevic
MM-Acoustics
www.mm-acoustics.com
https://www.facebook.com/pages/MM-Acoustics/608901282527713
DiscernAudio View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DiscernAudio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 June 2013 at 3:14pm
Not my build, nor my speaker, I was just tasked to design the 15" reflex on the bottom.
It is what the customer wanted.
What do you think?

Edited by DiscernAudio - 05 June 2013 at 3:18pm
t.geessounds View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote t.geessounds Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 June 2013 at 7:11pm
Nice Box DiscernAudioWink
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>