Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Plans > New Projects Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Extended CB-18 Cyclops

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 17>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote streetsounds Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Extended CB-18 Cyclops
    Posted: 06 November 2010 at 1:58pm
Asked Staip to extend the depth to 700mm, built it and tested it and here it goes..Amazing sub...loaded them with SD18ELClapClapClap

.. loud, heavy and clean..no movement of any sort was noticed on the bins during the testing, even the RCF on top stands still..lovely

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1wKKIQDv7x4
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R-jkwXbnYbQ
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c4Ki6vcv8hk&feature=player_embedded

Edited by streetsounds - 06 November 2010 at 2:46pm
Bass matters...
Teunos View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Teunos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 November 2010 at 2:34pm
Looks like a nice rigid cab you built, very pro. I like it that more and more people router their own handles in the wood like you've done . It looks wAAAAy better,  allows for lifting in multiple directions and it's cheaper. Nice job.
Best regards,
Teun.
streetsounds View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote streetsounds Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 November 2010 at 2:39pm
Thanks Teun, gonna be coating it with fiber matting and polyurethane tomorrow..
Bass matters...
MarjanM View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MarjanM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 November 2010 at 3:40pm
Great job there. How do they compare with your old subs?
Marjan Milosevic
MM-Acoustics
www.mm-acoustics.com
https://www.facebook.com/pages/MM-Acoustics/608901282527713

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote streetsounds Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 November 2010 at 10:43pm
On the the upper freq 186 and this bin well I would almost behave similarly but on the lower end its getting flat at 40hz and even lower in single. It will do its job even the eq is flat.
Bass matters...
Speaker Sol View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Speaker Sol Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 November 2010 at 12:15pm
Looking Good Thumbs Up
VECTORDJ View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VECTORDJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 November 2010 at 5:10pm
Hi, Is there a drawing for the 700mm model? Can this be expanded out to 900mm or 1200mm deep for a Super One Eye Monster???? Thanx, VECTORDJ
MarjanM View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MarjanM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 November 2010 at 5:36pm
I am sure it can. But you will win some and loose some.
It will go lower but at SPL loss i think.
Marjan Milosevic
MM-Acoustics
www.mm-acoustics.com
https://www.facebook.com/pages/MM-Acoustics/608901282527713
staiper View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote staiper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 November 2010 at 7:16pm
Hello,

Beer Streetsounds,  CBe-18 looks built great and I am glad to hear that you are happy with results of first testing.

Just do it! ..or do not.. ;)
staiper View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote staiper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 November 2010 at 7:40pm
Originally posted by VECTORDJ VECTORDJ wrote:

Hi, Is there a drawing for the 700mm model? Can this be expanded out to 900mm or 1200mm deep for a Super One Eye Monster???? Thanx, VECTORDJ

In fact there are drawings for few slightly modified variants every made on specific demand.

1. Standard CB-18
2. Extended front CBe-18  (streetsounds version, 700mm deep)
3. Full extended CBX-18 (extended pathlength, front and mouth area) - made on demand for extra few hertz LF extension

+ there is also standard CB-18Light version plans for 15mm plywood (extralight version ... as much as it can Big smile :) )

Ofcourse it is possible to make to modify design to suit some new goals but all comes with some compromise .. If you want additional LF extension in compact size ..SPL suffers, If you want booth , max SPL and LF extension too cabinet size goes up rapidly.. etc :)

It is not big problem to make one "monster mega, giga, cyclops" but than size and weight will go much out of margins of regular "usability" and muscle and spines will hate em (however may be good for showing and shootouts)

I have thought about Cyclops idea to be good bass solution with "ideal" bandwidth for most jobs (flat ~40- ~130Hz), pretty easy manageable size and truckpack friendly. Any further increasing size (more than CBX-18 version) will go out of this goals.Broken Heart

Just do it! ..or do not.. ;)
Crazy Dane View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Crazy Dane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 November 2010 at 11:00pm
Which of the 3 versions performs the best then?
And is it possible to get plans for them all?
Best regards... Frank

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote streetsounds Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 November 2010 at 11:01pm
Thanks Staip for tweeking the design a bit as I requested. I cannot ask for more  after hear the first testStarStarStar. Its not that heavy anyway as I expected and can still be easily managed mobility wise.

Well may be, I was thinking, the reason why its not moving at all even when playing  heavy bass is because of its symmetrical design.. additonal plus factor
Bass matters...
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 17>