Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > General Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

JBL JRX 125 vs. Cerwin Vega V253

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bluishbob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: JBL JRX 125 vs. Cerwin Vega V253
    Posted: 10 November 2010 at 12:06am
Had my eyes set on the JBL until i have a little look at Cerwin Vega.

Both 2x 15" with 1" Cd.

The cerwin vega have another 250w and 3db (average and max) on the JBLs.

I get the impression they are worth about the same second hand.

I have never heard Cerwins so don't know what to expect.

What do you think? Thoughts and feelings!!!

(does anyone know what the Cerwins are loaded with?)

dj scratchy View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dj scratchy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 November 2010 at 12:10am
not sure about the duel 15 cv but have heard the singles and didnt think much of them and having owned a pair of the jrx 125's i would recomend them very solid very loud and proberbly worth more second hand
sound, light, trilite, stage decks, complete stage packages indoor and outdoor 07568188104 sl systems sound&light
subbass View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote subbass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 November 2010 at 12:18am
JBL JRX 125s are fun Approve
Conanski View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Conanski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 November 2010 at 3:49am
Both are crap, the CV horns will fail the first time you use them and while the JBL's probably won't die that quickly they have absolutely no top end.. 13khz is all you get.
Calculus View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Calculus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 November 2010 at 5:32am
definitely niether, bu the jbls would be a bit better,  go for some older sr series jbl... you'll be happier soundwise.

Edited by Calculus - 10 November 2010 at 5:33am
Always a compromise, You can't have everything...

Where would you put it all.
bluishbob View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bluishbob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 November 2010 at 10:46am

Actually I had never thought of going for the SR series. Just thought it was out of my price range. 

Any ideas what a pair of SR4722X would be second hand?

Edited by bluishbob - 10 November 2010 at 10:46am
SamV View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SamV Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 November 2010 at 3:34pm
I'd go for the JRX. Near indestructible.
Strange Daze View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Strange Daze Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 November 2010 at 3:38pm
Originally posted by SamV SamV wrote:

I'd go for the JRX. Near indestructible.

This.
And with the mods, they sound great.
I started a thread about it a while ago, when I owned four.
A search may reveal some info...
Smile
The Builder View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Builder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 November 2010 at 8:18pm
JRX, stick some of the new P Audio (Blue Aran) or BMS (Tony) in there. So add £100 then sell the JBL's for £50 on Fleabay. I put some Beymas in mine, sounded lovely. Crossover seems very robust.
It just is.
phildat View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phildat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 November 2010 at 8:21pm
JBLs all the way..do the modifications and you wont be dissapointed. see feedback forum section for the definitive Speakerplans thread on them there boxes....
Its just a ride.
rich_gale View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rich_gale Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 November 2010 at 8:26pm
are all of you mad?  jbl jrx125 vs vega v253's?  cerwin vega 253's have much better woofers (cast frame, real sensitivity, plywood construction.  they have a high power compression driver on a large horn, and a supertweeter.  the v253's are from an era when cerwin were capable of making good speakers.  v253's wont touch the jbl sr range, but are way better than the jrx range.  (JRX are to blame for the recent 'Junior Bass Line' derogatory name for jbl.) 
REFLEX ALL THE WAY.... (however, im playing with horns again...) That ok Mister Valiant? :)
rich_gale View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rich_gale Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 November 2010 at 8:30pm
the vegas will also command significantly less money on ebay meaning you get a bargain.  just make sure the v253's are mk1 because they cut costs with cheaper components on the mk2's.
REFLEX ALL THE WAY.... (however, im playing with horns again...) That ok Mister Valiant? :)
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>