Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > 12v Powered Systems
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

wheelie bin system questions

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote samsavenger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: wheelie bin system questions
    Posted: 12 November 2010 at 5:45am
Hi all,

I'm planning on making a portable system out of a 140L wheelie bin.

I have a 4* tk2050, 2x 7ah 12v batteries, 2x eminence beta 12a drivers and a bunch of assorted car speakers.

I had an idea of mounting one or both of the eminence drivers firing downwards on a plywood board wedged about half way down and venting the bottom of the bin on 3 sides to create a sort of bandpass enclosure, then mounting 3 kenwood 6x9" car speakers in the top half of the enclosure firing outwards to take care of the mids and highs.

Would this type of design work? or would the eminence driver(s) cancel out the kenwood speakers in the top half of the enclosure?

Also... obviously wheelie bin plastic is not noted for its sonic qualities... but will this inevitable sound muddy or will I lose efficiency due to the pliable plastic type material?
rich_gale View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rich_gale Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 November 2010 at 7:44am
it'll probably end up sounding better than srm450's.  they're not that much more sturdy than a wheelie bin.  personally, id just bolt a sheet of 12mm ply onto the inside front face to strengthen the main baffle.  then use the beta 12's direct firing with a tweeter like the apt150 doing the highs.  the beta will be fine up to 5khz.

6x 9's are a waste of time for anything like this imo.  plus they will want a separate enclosure so the 12's dont interfere with them
REFLEX ALL THE WAY.... (however, im playing with horns again...) That ok Mister Valiant? :)
Saturnus View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Saturnus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 November 2010 at 8:17am
  I agree with the above. Ditch the car speakers. They are probably ranged in quality between stinking crap and smelly crap anyways. You get much better sensitivity and sound quality from the betas, just add some tweeter horns, which could be piezos if you're on a budget.  

Edited by Saturnus - 12 November 2010 at 8:17am
sonofalesbian View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sonofalesbian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 November 2010 at 9:11am
ive build a system out of a bin before, my advice to to make sure your speakers are mounted on a wooden baffle and then that should be attached to the bin, the plastic realy isnt suitable for holding the drivers in place, it can also get a bit rattly if you pump seriose power into it. make sure you get some pictures of your build up though! Thumbs Up
www.brotherhoodsoundsystem.co.uk
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sonofalesbian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 November 2010 at 9:15am

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Edited by sonofalesbian - 12 November 2010 at 9:21am
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sonofalesbian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 November 2010 at 9:26am
that was mine, the 15" woofer is in its own ported enclosure but i ran out of time to make a chamber for the 6" woofer so i just slammed it in there and hoped for the best. the battery and amplifier are inside the bin above the bass enclosure. (85ah battery and 500w car amplifier) 
if i were to do it again i would use a 12" instead of the 15" for bass (i only used that one because it was knocking about)
slaz View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote slaz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 November 2010 at 12:30pm
Yeah - I like the idea of wheelie bin as enclosure too :-)

Based on intuition rather than experience, I'd say :-

If there are sizeable areas of flat panels in the plastic, you could get some quite "nasty" resonant modes in there. Would prob help quite a bit if you can get some material like bituminous felt to dampen the panels (would need to be bonded tightly to the panels - dunno what kind of glue etc.).
Use bracing struts too - should help. Plastic/ABS enlosures can be very rigid, but this is achieved by virtue of the shape - curvature and ridges will greatly enhance the rigidity.

2 x 7Ah will prob give you fairly limited run-time if you figure on driving the 2050 hard into 4R loads.
2 x 17Ah - would be better - at the cost of some weight of course - but then - if the batteries are located at the bottom of the bin (close to the wheels) it should achieve better stability and wheelability.

I'd agree with mounting drive units on plywood sub-baffles if at all possible ...

Let us see if you get around to doing it :-)

subbass View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote subbass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 November 2010 at 12:57am
never ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever use 6*9s!

total waste of power and space!
samsavenger View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote samsavenger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 November 2010 at 11:30pm
yeah I think I'll do away with the 6x9 idea, I just need something cheap to give decent response above 2k hz... I figured a wheelie bin isn't gonna sound fantastic anyway, but perhaps I'm wrong if it's done correctly. I have some mid range/tweeters from some old hifi speakers with will probably sound better anyway, I might even be able to recycle the crossovers.

How about the idea of loading the eminence driver into the bin on a piece of MDF facing downwards (or diagonally downwards) and venting the bottom? I figured if it was tuned more of less correctly it wouldn't be all that different to a bass horn or bandpass enclosure... Would this work? I was hoping to achieve some sort of omnidirectional effect and dividing the vents over 3 sides of the bin...
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sonofalesbian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 November 2010 at 10:03am
why bother with venting 3 sides of the bin? unless your going to have mids and hi's on all three sides its abit pointless.

samsavenger View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote samsavenger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 November 2010 at 11:25pm
^ I was thinking maybe I would if it worked alright...

I'm really just keen to experiment a bit I think... does anyone have any experience making a scoop out of a wheelie bin?.. haha
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sonofalesbian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 November 2010 at 9:34am
by all means make a scoop out of the bin but venting three sides isnt the best thing to do. bass is omnidirectional anyway... 
my advice is build the first one as you  have described but only use one face of the bin, then if you feel you need to rebiuld one using all three sides then do it.
i found that cutting the bin material took a while to do and was quite labouriouse aswell, so the less you have to cut the better!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>