Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > General Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Pimp my speakers

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lgosdset Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Pimp my speakers
    Posted: 17 November 2010 at 3:49am
Well having blown the crossover in a pair of JBL JRX125 I have decided that enough is enough. By the time I finish with them the only thing JBL about them will be the cabinet itself.

both have already got, Paudio BM2-D450S comps

To this I am going to add 2x
SOVEREIGN PRO 15-600N it will be my first dealing with neo drivers.

I simed them in win isd and have found that the ports on them are nowhere near big enough, (might explane the port noise at very low frequencies) so I am going to add two more at the bottom of the cabnet. This gives me a tuning frequency of 63.58Hz in a 140L cabnet, the graph looks nice and smooth and the vent mach is 0.10 so hopefully no port noise.

I am going to put a bit of MDF over the back pannel, and put 2 NR4s there and run the cabnet bi-amped with a crossover of 2.5k. under it will be two fane 18xb reflex cabs I will cross them at 120Hz.

Finally I have stripped the carpet off rubbed them down (the fit of the pannels on this cab is quite bad! you don't notice with the carpet on) and applied some turbo blue paint.

Going to run the comps on a C-audio GB202, the mids and bass on a C-audio pulses.

anyone got anything to add that may be helpful to me?
lgosdset View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lgosdset Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 November 2010 at 3:52am
Do you think I should change the HF horn too? If so any recommendations? The largest horn I can fit in there is 180x380mm. Would anyone recommend changing to 1.4" comps?
cilla.scope View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Legs all the way to her bottom....

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cilla.scope Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 November 2010 at 3:57am
yep,  and the cabinet.
My girlfriend thinks I'm a stalker.
Well, she's not exactly my girlfriend yet ...
lgosdset View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lgosdset Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 November 2010 at 4:20am
Originally posted by cilla.scope cilla.scope wrote:

yep,  and the cabinet.

Thats a summertime job as the only wood working space I have is in the garden.
kevin tyler View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kevin tyler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 November 2010 at 7:59am
maybe you should of built some new cabs, and sold what you had
Wink
Strange Daze View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Strange Daze Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 November 2010 at 9:05am
PIMP EM UP!!!
Lets see pics :)
djscooby View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote djscooby Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 November 2010 at 9:09am
Originally posted by Strange Daze Strange Daze wrote:

PIMP EM UP!!!
Lets see pics :)

+1
Well my wife has kicked me out saying it's over due to my obsession with speakers don't know watt I'm gonna do with no ohm to go to
The Builder View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Builder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 November 2010 at 10:17am
Whoa! Sov PRO are cast, yours are pressed steel. Make sure they fit, it's a devil of a job opening out the holes in a built cab. You may want to consider the Sov non pro???
It just is.
cravings View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cravings Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 November 2010 at 1:02pm
yeah, opening out a driver cutout by a few mm is no fun. i haven't yet worked out a good way of doing it with a power tool that i have.... i have succeeded a few times with a lot of effort and a surform though..
lgosdset View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lgosdset Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 November 2010 at 2:17pm
Originally posted by The Builder The Builder wrote:

Whoa! Sov PRO are cast, yours are pressed steel. Make sure they fit, it's a devil of a job opening out the holes in a built cab. You may want to consider the Sov non pro???

well according to the fane website the cutout should be 352mm, The cut out in the cabs at the moment is 354mm, so it should be fine.

also what do you guys reccon of this comp/horn combo? The horn will just squeeze in if I get handy with a jigsaw. 

comp- http://www.paudiothailand.com/showproduct.cfm?id=530

Horn- http://www.paudiothailand.com/showproduct.cfm?id=556

I can then put the current horns and comps in another box.

As I have said before Its too cold and horrid outside for me to be slaving away making cabs at the moment. It will be a summer job. I am not too worried about resale value, I got the cabinets at decent price and when I am finished with them I will load them up with their original 15" drivers and use them as sidefills or sell them, or to save anyone else the hassle burn them.

mk2_ginger_biscuit69 View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mk2_ginger_biscuit69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 November 2010 at 4:24pm
Originally posted by cravings cravings wrote:

yeah, opening out a driver cutout by a few mm is no fun. i haven't yet worked out a good way of doing it with a power tool that i have.... i have succeeded a few times with a lot of effort and a surform though..

running a shallow semi circular file around the hole consistantly seems to work, enlarged my behingers to PD186 easily enough - just filled old holes, filed about 1.5mm out and added new holes+tee's.

Took all of 15-20mins!
''Remember that the object of a subwoofer is to enhance the output of your main speakers, not overpower it''

''Dubstep - an elongated electronic fart''
fuzzylogic View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fuzzylogic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 November 2010 at 11:55am
These sound like Backlashes old boxes??
If so one of those P-audio's still belongs to me.lol.

NEIGHBOURHOOD SOUNDSYSTEM
Infinitely baffled.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>