Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Chat > Computer Talk
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

wireless speed??

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mikey bear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: wireless speed??
    Posted: 10 December 2010 at 10:26pm
on my laptop i'm geting a connection speed of 54mbps and internet connectivity is super fast (RT73 USB Wireless LAN Card) but on my desktop (connecting through the same router) i am getting on average 81mbps but connectivity is very slow (asus n-13 usb wireless adapter).
is there anything i can do to improve the internet speed of my desktop? or is the asus simply rubbish?

thanks in advance
shagnasty View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shagnasty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 December 2010 at 2:25am
Don't wanna give you a lesson on sucking eggs here... but:-

the link speed is a bit academic as you probaly have less than a 10MB pipe to the internet anyway so you may be better seeing if you can disable wireless n and just run g which is 54mbs, if you only surf and don't move file over your network wireless b is stillt eh best bet as @ 11mbs it seems to move more data and do a lot less re-tries for fried packets.

Also what router do you have? it could be as simple as downloading the latest firmware for it to make it more "n" freindly, I have not run out n anwhere yet as the standard took an age to be ratified and frankly is a shakey as you like...

Try a linksys WAP54G and see how you fair with that (£12 kinda money off the 'bay) will lug into your existing router and just give G/B connectivity...

I doubt the Asus device is sh*t, Asus just don't do sh*t!!

Smile
slaz View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote slaz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 December 2010 at 9:28am
Originally posted by shagnasty shagnasty wrote:

the link speed is a bit academic as you probaly have less than a 10MB pipe to the internet anyway so you may be better seeing if you can disable wireless n and just run g which is 54mbs, if you only surf and don't move file over your network wireless b is stillt eh best bet as @ 11mbs it seems to move more data and do a lot less re-tries for fried packets.

Also what router do you have? it could be as simple as downloading the latest firmware for it to make it more "n" freindly, I have not run out n anwhere yet as the standard took an age to be ratified and frankly is a shakey as you like...

Try a linksys WAP54G and see how you fair with that (£12 kinda money off the 'bay) will lug into your existing router and just give G/B connectivity...

Smile

I'd agree with most of that, but also - I'd say if possible just use the friggin wire - only use wi-fi when you _need_ to. The wire is just more solid, reliable .... wi-fi is fine and dandy, but inevitably introduces several layers of complication (i.e. "stuff" to go wrong).
Its always recommended to have a wired connection "to hand" as it were anyway - so you _know_ you can connect to the router and get to its interface to debug it, view settings etc.

slaz View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote slaz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 December 2010 at 9:43am

Smile

Oh yeah ....

[pedant mode = on]

You see to be using using mb and MB interchangeably - well most of the time "we know what you mean", but

M = Mega (x 1,000,000)
m= milli (one-millionth)
B = Byte
b = bit

.... can (and does) cause plenty confusion when calculating speeds/transfers etc.

99% of the time network speeds (well - signalling rates) are expressed as Mega-bits per second, so correctly should be Mb/s

[pedant mode = off]

slaz View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote slaz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 December 2010 at 9:52am
Originally posted by slaz slaz wrote:

Smile

Oh yeah ....

[pedant mode = on]

You see to be using using mb and MB interchangeably - well most of the time "we know what you mean", but

M = Mega (x 1,000,000)
m= milli (one-thousandnth)
B = Byte
b = bit

.... can (and does) cause plenty confusion when calculating speeds/transfers etc.

99% of the time network speeds (well - signalling rates) are expressed as Mega-bits per second, so correctly should be Mb/s

[pedant mode = off]

Doooh !!!!
richardhx View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richardhx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 December 2010 at 6:52pm
OK.... my £0.02 worth...

Laptops are designed for wifi use, strangely though not an external aerial, seem to do quite well in many orientations.

Desktops have much metal work near a rear mounted wifi aerial complicating reception, frequently backed towards a wall, noisy internals, maybe a noisy graphics card. In short Not designed for wireless use.

In our house, laptops rule on wifi, desktops need the wire for good connection. Even given same Operating system.

Other possible differences are OS & version, how much free space Hdd has, RAM, state of maintenance... tmp files, OS version and updates, Anti virus, firewall, browser cache...
making the word clear
The Builder View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Builder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 December 2010 at 1:29am
Afreed. N flakey, G solid, B still good.
Set router to G.

Encryption though. Changed somebody from WPA back to WEP the other day, massive boost in file transfer speed.
It just is.
numtie View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote numtie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 December 2010 at 1:38am
i shat in my shoe
Disco Hire Wales
shagnasty View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shagnasty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 December 2010 at 2:30am
Wep ain't too crash hot you may want to enable MAC locking as well this isn't bomb proof but helps
Also if you aren't using iPhones (they don't sem to like it) don't transmit the I'd from the router

Anyone running weplite on an iPhone won't take long to bust through this lot but at leat you have made it a bit tricky!!!!
The Builder View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Builder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 December 2010 at 11:10am
Shit is shoes, no matter, it happened and worked. Orange's new livepox on modernish XP laptop.
File transfer speed was so bad that on cable the BT speedchecker was lovely, on WPA it couldn't even raise a test. Changed to WEP and the test ran, file download speeds went to what I'd expect from 4mb BB.
I KNOW it's not secure, drops packets etc. On this occasion it worked.
MAC's do seem to hate WEP. Had some refuse to connect on it, probably not secure enough for their little tantrumus minds. They are however happpy to connect with NO securty. Apple! Angry
It just is.
mikey bear View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mikey bear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 December 2010 at 6:34pm
thanks all for the info. i've ditched the dongle in favour of a cable. much faster. cheers!
slaz View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote slaz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 December 2010 at 8:29pm
Originally posted by mikey bear mikey bear wrote:

thanks all for the info. i've ditched the dongle in favour of a cable. much faster. cheers!

Good move. More reliable too....
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>