Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Feedback Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Best 8" Coaxial?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Meat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Best 8" Coaxial?
    Posted: 27 December 2010 at 4:33pm
By best I mean best sound quality, high SPL and light weight would be nice but its not the be all and end all.

Any opinions? I was looking at the B&C ferrite one as it has a dedicated crossover board available and dosen't seem to be daft money but are there any others I should be looking at?

It dosen't need to have a great bass response as it'll be used above something more 'thumpy' (most likely a 12"). I'm just wondering if some of the other ones from Volt, BMS, B&C or beyma might be worth going for instead.
Don't test the champignon sound
markie View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote markie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 December 2010 at 6:02pm
The Volt is superb. Not cheap but the dedicated crossover is included. Put it in a 20 litre box and you'll have a flat bass response down to 57Hz with a -3dB point of 50Hz.
If it's got wheels or tits it's gonna cost a fortune
hmaudio View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hmaudio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 December 2010 at 6:21pm
Nottingham based cab builder. https://www.facebook.com/HMAudio-154352667920145/?ref=bookmarks
This account is used by 2 people.
james folkes View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote james folkes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 December 2010 at 7:11pm
phl will do you an 8" coax if you ask nicely, probably kinda pricey though. their 1520 6" coax is divine, they often go for far too little money too as they're a bit esoteric. can't remember who it was that said the b&c crossovers weren't very nice, mykey maybe? the phl is a dedicated mid driver, no compromises for bass response, likewise the oem fane and later 18sound 8" coax that raey grant had made for the noise control audio mpm 1815. maybe worth buttering him up for some old line units?

james.
mardy hippy.
Steve_B View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steve_B Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 December 2010 at 3:10pm
I got a couple of the BMS units off Tony W. They are great for small gigs but don't go really low. I usually use them with a single BMS 12 sub in a small reflex box, but for acoustic type gigs I have used them on their own.

The 8" drivers are in a 20litre cab and the 12" in a 40litre. Both myself and Tony did a couple of designs for the bass cab and came to the conclusion this size cabinet, which gives a slight bump in response around 55-60Hz sounded better than a larger cabinet. This has been discussed in the reflex section before.

Measured response of the 8" using Ultradrive cross-over

Meat View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Meat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 December 2010 at 5:52pm
Which BMS was that? The neo and ferrite ones seem to be pretty different.
Steve_B View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steve_B Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 December 2010 at 7:55pm
The ferrite.

With just a single 8" drive unit the weight saving wasn't that great so I took the cheap route. I expect Tony will be able to give an opinion on the differences between the two.
Tony Wilkes View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tony Wilkes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 December 2010 at 12:02pm
Originally posted by Meat Meat wrote:

Which BMS was that? The neo and ferrite ones seem to be pretty different.

They are  different designs, if budget is not a problem then the neo offers better efficiency at a silly low weight.

I have heard Steve's ferrite ones a couple of times and have to say they do sound really detailed and smooth, he has obviously done a good job with the Ultradrive doing the X-over.

A pair of these over one or two of the 12" subs would make a very high quality mini system.

Tony
www.forteaudio.eu - BMS - db-Mark Processors - Lexon (SAE)
Steve_B View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steve_B Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 December 2010 at 7:49pm

I like co-axial speakers and first used then back in the mid 80s when I built a few studio monitors using 15” Tannoys. They never seem to measure as smooth as conventional horn loaded HF drivers, but it is not something that is detrimental to the sound.

I've got a few different combinations of speaker systems for live work but find myself using the 8” BMSs most of the time for my wife's gigs. I hang the speakers from a lighting stand above and behind them and pan my wife to one speaker and her singing partner to the other. Great for small pub gigs where space is a premium. With the 12”, as Tony said, a great mini system.

Slightly off topic, but one of the times Tony heard the system was when my wife was busking. I used a single 8” speaker speaker run off a Powersoft amp powered from a 12V battery and inverter. The whole system fit on one of the trolleys they use for shopping baskets at supermarkets which enabled us to move up and down the high street.

Tony also mentioned the cross-over settings, and the lack of such information for published plans is something that we discussed a couple of months ago. As such I have been intending to put all the details for this drive unit on my website for some time now and will do soon...... probably... when it gets warmer.... and my leg gets better. It is also something I intend to do for stuff I make in the future.

pfly View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pfly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 December 2010 at 10:52pm

Our theatre's studio's left hand Dynaudio Air 15 + AirBase 2 versus Tannoy 3836 dipole + EAW 2x8" sub. Tannoy + EAW combo has around 4 EQs used. 15" LPF @ 1240hz and compression driver HPF @ 1500hz. After that measurement I've taken 140hz sub to mid X-Over to 250hz and low mid sounds much better. Soundstage and detailing are much, MUCH better with Tannoys than Dynaudios. Tannoy is standing upright on top of said Dynaudio, so they are positioned approximately the same.
SamV View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SamV Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 January 2011 at 7:35pm
8CX300ND sound awesome.
Meat View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Meat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 January 2011 at 8:12pm
Looks like I'm going with the Volts for the short term at least. The ease of having the right crossover in them from the off is certainly something you'd have thought the other manufacturers may have picked up on but hey.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>