Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > General Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Berry DCX vs DBX Driverack PA

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SYG Media Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Berry DCX vs DBX Driverack PA
    Posted: 08 January 2011 at 11:07pm
Both at £200, which one would you recommend is better for running a 4 way mono rig, mainly club.

Cheers
Video Production, Sound & Lighting Hire
shagnasty View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shagnasty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 January 2011 at 12:49am
berry.... £180 of dsp £20 brand name

Dbx £180 of brand name £20 DSP...

Smile
4D View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 4D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 January 2011 at 1:15am
Originally posted by shagnasty shagnasty wrote:

berry.... £180 of dsp £20 brand name

Dbx £180 of brand name £20 DSP...

Smile

As above plus

the dbx is very limited in its functions, has a very poor interface, cannot be controlled from a pc and possibly worst of all the settings cannot be password protected.  ie, perfect for disco dave.

the Dcx offers all you could need function wise is lockable, sounds reasonable enough only issue is the need  for usb to serial for comms and un-conventional calibration for limiter settings.

no contest dcx wins hand down
DMZ. "The bass was intense. Girls were literally running up to stand next to the subs"
SYG Media View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SYG Media Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 January 2011 at 1:30am
roger that and understood! will wait for a 2nd hand DCX to come up i reckon
shagnasty View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shagnasty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 January 2011 at 1:36am
If your are not familar with processor chatting please ignore 4d, the DCX requires a REAL serial port unless U R 120% sure what you are doing just get  a shit box dell latt c600 and use a proper serial link.

But the rest is real knowledge from a real engineer..

The limeters are comedy on numbers but works great, the X-over curves are good, SNR is fine, if you can mix with your ears not your eyes then the Berry is fine...

Also a DCX will hold more resale value than a DBX

Again I say it but the prob with Berry is the upgrade path is a 10x cost incredment..

Get the DCX, play, try enjoy, when you feel you need better A -B with anything, upgrade is XTA, or if you really hear the difference BSS FDS366(T) or BSS Soundweb BLU (just amazing and not brittle a la XTA)

Smile
shagnasty View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shagnasty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 January 2011 at 2:00am
Originally posted by SYG Media SYG Media wrote:

roger that and understood! will wait for a 2nd hand DCX to come up i reckon
Watch DV247.com these units aren't expensive ans SH they hold their value like hell!!

FSD366T in xcess of £2K, SH around £600, DCX £220 new S/Hand £180 on ebay ........!!!

If you buy a used one PLEASE check it works, 3 finger stab to Clear it, pump a signal thru, any yitter on the display is probably a faling PSU, rig a 3 > sum FR > 6 program and check everything can get out of everything!!!!!!

If you buy blind it needs to be F ucking cheap or PayPAL money back type deal...

These units are fine if they work, and generally they do but like a Midas XL4, no-one want the Mk I!!!!
Smile
t.geessounds View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote t.geessounds Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 January 2011 at 4:27am
i dont think u can run 4 way with a dbx pa better go with the berry,,,,,
Conanski View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Conanski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 January 2011 at 5:03am
The DRPA can't do 4-way mono! When it comes to PA processors life begins with the DCX and skips right over that POS DRPA.
SYG Media View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SYG Media Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 January 2011 at 11:49am
Thanks guys, i've taken note and will go for the berry as my first lms!
4D View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 4D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 January 2011 at 12:59pm
Originally posted by shagnasty shagnasty wrote:

If your are not familar with processor chatting please ignore 4d, the DCX requires a REAL serial port unless U R 120% sure what you are doing just get  a shit box dell latt c600 and use a proper serial link.

But the rest is real knowledge from a real engineer..

Smile

Thanks..

People say they have connectivity issues. For me it seemed to work straight out of the box, Vista running on a cheap Medion Hoky-cokey 1000 laptop, went to Maplins and purchased a nice blue usb to serial adaptor, had a brief wrestle with the OS to assign the req'd serial port number and baud rate to the usb slot hooked it all up, loaded the warez off it went...

There is one other major hitch with the DCX  is that when making changes to some/all ? of the settings any alterations made cause the audio to drop out & back in momentarily.  On a big show this is beyond embarrassing.  

Edited by 4D - 09 January 2011 at 1:02pm
DMZ. "The bass was intense. Girls were literally running up to stand next to the subs"
Steve_B View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steve_B Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 January 2011 at 1:25pm
Originally posted by 4D 4D wrote:

There is one other major hitch with the DCX  is that when making changes to some/all ? of the settings any alterations made cause the audio to drop out & back in momentarily.  On a big show this is beyond embarrassing.  

I'm all for using equipment in novel ways, but the DCX is primarily a loudspeaker management system or as we used to call them cross-overs. As such once set up for a system there is no need to change anything.

I find the audio drop out extremely useful. It does it when the gain setting goes through 0dB. It speeds up dialling the jog wheel back down to 0 when adjusting filters. I always thought that it was a deliberate feature.

For eq adjustment during a gig, why not get the Ultracurve? You get the choice of graphic or parametric.

4D View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 4D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 January 2011 at 2:12pm
Originally posted by Steve_B Steve_B wrote:

Originally posted by 4D 4D wrote:

I'm all for using equipment in novel ways, but the DCX is primarily a loudspeaker management system or as we used to call them cross-overs. As such once set up for a system there is no need to change anything.

In  perfect world you are right and I was going to add that because of this feature it is best to make sure the unit is set up correctly and trust that nothing needs to be changed when live.  Using the null as a locator.. yep seems novel to me but will try it.  :)
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>