Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Chat > Roots n Culture Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Building a reggae soundsystem

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
jahmountain View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jahmountain Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Building a reggae soundsystem
    Posted: 11 August 2011 at 1:42am
ok thanks for the anserw.I really dont know anything about build a sound, here in my country theres not so much knowledge about this. So if anyone can guide me please let me knowSmile

more love.

burningbush View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote burningbush Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 July 2011 at 12:00pm
You will be best PMing Mykey on here (the designer).  You will need 10 or mre posts though so pat a few guys on their backs in the show off your rig thread.
music is the message
jahmountain View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jahmountain Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 July 2011 at 4:07am
hey anyone know where can i get plans of rhino scoops? and what you think about this ones to start building my first sound?

thanks
ukdubwise View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ukdubwise Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 July 2011 at 8:22am
why should you pay for a design tom?
there are plenty of them circulating on i-net.

when your capable to build gsubs you can build the rest too.
tomboothy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tomboothy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 July 2011 at 1:06am
if i paid would you design me a reggae sound system? i already have a sub built from these plans  http://www.speakerplans.com/index.php?id=gsub - http://www.speakerplans.com/index.php?id=gsub, PM me or email me if your interested and how much you would want paying :) thanks
SSS View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SSS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 February 2011 at 2:32pm
Hey, after thinking what to build etc. we kinda need to know how to get a clear sound and how to maintain clarity in different rooms. We gave a party with speakers that where simple reflex builds and that sounded good in the room we tested them in but they where a bit lacking in definition at the dance. The high mid was very sharp but there was no sparkle at all.
I'm asking this because I want to build a sound that is capable of been clear all the time.

Thanks,
SSS
studio45 View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote studio45 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 February 2011 at 2:32pm
SO what have you got that is working?
Studio45 - Repairs & Building Commotion Soundsystem -Mobile PA
I-ona View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote I-ona Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 February 2011 at 5:17pm
Originally posted by studio45 studio45 wrote:

Need a preamp - no. You can run a very good sounding system without one. If you want one, then that's fine too. They are pretty cool when they are working right. But lack of a preamp won't really hold you back in any major way.
I've no idea how much preamps cost, if indeed you could get one for £350 that sounded good, was built properly and did everything you wanted it to, that might well be cheaper then buying a seperate mixer, EQ and crossover(s).
What boxes are the peavey 18's in? Ported boxes? If so you want some scoops.... Peaveys aren't very good drivers in the grand scheme of things, nor are they ideal for scoop loading, but they'll probably go a bit louder and lower in a scoop. There are as many scoop designs as i've had hot dinners, so reccomending one is difficult. Best thing is to try them out in a few different ones if you can, and listen for what sounds best.
Your "non descript" mids will probably work quite well in a simple sealed box, if midrange is all you want them to play. Put two in a box about two feet wide, one foot tall and 18 inches deep (very approximately). You can split the front panel of the box to allow them to be angled apart a bit, maybe 20 degrees. This will widen the dispersion. 
What's in the Links tweeters? Are the drivers themselves blown or is it the crossover?

Hey  thanks Im taking all this in guys. The drivers have blown and all need replacing. Not a clue how I go about that either. haha what a mess!
studio45 View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote studio45 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 February 2011 at 4:36pm
Need a preamp - no. You can run a very good sounding system without one. If you want one, then that's fine too. They are pretty cool when they are working right. But lack of a preamp won't really hold you back in any major way.
I've no idea how much preamps cost, if indeed you could get one for £350 that sounded good, was built properly and did everything you wanted it to, that might well be cheaper then buying a seperate mixer, EQ and crossover(s).
What boxes are the peavey 18's in? Ported boxes? If so you want some scoops.... Peaveys aren't very good drivers in the grand scheme of things, nor are they ideal for scoop loading, but they'll probably go a bit louder and lower in a scoop. There are as many scoop designs as i've had hot dinners, so reccomending one is difficult. Best thing is to try them out in a few different ones if you can, and listen for what sounds best.
Your "non descript" mids will probably work quite well in a simple sealed box, if midrange is all you want them to play. Put two in a box about two feet wide, one foot tall and 18 inches deep (very approximately). You can split the front panel of the box to allow them to be angled apart a bit, maybe 20 degrees. This will widen the dispersion. 
What's in the Links tweeters? Are the drivers themselves blown or is it the crossover?
Studio45 - Repairs & Building Commotion Soundsystem -Mobile PA
Gee136 View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gee136 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 February 2011 at 4:33pm
Originally posted by I-ona I-ona wrote:

I hear that. But to play out, say carnival,  Im going to need a pre amp eventually arent I?

Like you I'm a loyal fan of pre amps, I've got 3 custom built units, so I'll always opt for a pre to control my amps any day of the week!!

If you have enough power amps & boxes to play on your system outside to lets say 500 people?? Then I'll say invest in a pre amp NOW!! But if you are solely playing in house parties & your system isn't that big, then if I'll concentrate on speaker boxes & amps 1st (even though I didn't when I built my soundsystem) it took me years to get the system sounding the way it does with a pre amp!!

I'm not saying don't get a pre amp, but you'll need to decide on the equipment that you will be powering??? (a lot of info to take in I know)

peace..................Big smile
Goverment Sound (weight & treble roots machine)

When Goverment ah play, infidels, ginals & masqueraders run away.....
burningbush View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote burningbush Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 February 2011 at 4:14pm
Eventually, after time and experience let you pick what and if you need.  But that could be 10yrs from now or never.  Concentrate on the speakers  and amps and cables.
music is the message
I-ona View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote I-ona Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 February 2011 at 4:05pm
I hear that. But to play out, say carnival,  Im going to need a pre amp eventually arent I?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>