Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Chat > Roots n Culture Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Building a reggae soundsystem

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gee136 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 January 2011 at 9:29pm
Originally posted by YoungBlood YoungBlood wrote:

Originally posted by Bush HB Bush HB wrote:

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

exactly LOL

some people hear one below par pre amp and think say all pre amps is the same LOL

maybe somebody should ask SSS which 18 driver him have or can get before recommend scoop

not everbody impress with rhino mini scoop some of us prefer eminence full scoop

That's correct SSS was asking about building a Reggae soundsystem, not a PA system................. Ermm
Goverment Sound (weight & treble roots machine)

When Goverment ah play, infidels, ginals & masqueraders run away.....
studio45 View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote studio45 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 January 2011 at 11:11pm
Originally posted by space-face space-face wrote:

Originally posted by studio45 studio45 wrote:

Well the one I got to play with wasn't a very good one, I think. The guys who own it think it's the best thing since sliced bread, but then I demonstrated how much louder and clearer their set was without it (using a DCX2496 instead) and that did raise a few eyebrows. 
I mean, this thing was a total spaghetti mess inside; didn't have proper crossover filters, only summed outputs from combined filters in the graphic EQ section, and the "parametric" was in fact a huge fixed boost which could only be moved around, not altered in level or bandwidth. When I swept it quickly thru 100-300hz ish, the box did a very good impression of Rolf Harris and his wobble board (Woopwoopwoop - oscillations!). The bass section had switches (operation of which caused some impressive thumps and bangs from the woofers) to set its response and that was .............

Hehe! Care to spill the beans of who is was?!

What do you think...I've got a living to make over here!
Studio45 - Repairs & Building Commotion Soundsystem -Mobile PA
SSS View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SSS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 January 2011 at 1:54pm
Thanks for the replies allready. Smile

We were going to wait with buying a preamp anyway for now, mainly because they are very expensive.
Thanks Studio45 for your detailed answer, but I don't know if the rhino's are what we're after.
I've been looking at superscoop and the eminence scoop designs, so if anyone can give info on these (good for the style we're after and driver wise?) it would be greatly appreciated! There's more info on the supers and the plans are much better than those of the eminence in terms of readability Tongue so in my eyes that's a plus for the supers but what about sound etc.

I don't think we will be able to afford 1850 or tmax 1500 and all those in that pricerange. The drivers we could afford are 18XB's or 186 or with a stretch tmax b1000.

We tried to design somekind of 15" kickbin (reflex) but I don't seem to have the file anymore so, I'll upload it later for advice.
We don't really know if it's a good idea to design a cab right away rather than build some tried and tested cabs. So from that point of view we were looking at 2 X15's as mids and tops and maybe JBL 4512 for kicks? Or the 15" reflex design? But again: wich drivers?

I know I'm asking allot, so thanks in advance for your answers.
Any suggestions are welcome!

Thanks,
SSS

sonofalesbian View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sonofalesbian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 January 2011 at 2:12pm
i can tell you fane XBs are nice in supers, they lack sheer power due to only being 600w (set your cut off at ~40 and you can put a bit more juice into them) but they have a warm tone and are a great budget option.
also if you can stretch the extra cash (or upgrade) go for v18-1200s over the pd or turbomax!
www.brotherhoodsoundsystem.co.uk
Nitz V1505 View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nitz V1505 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 January 2011 at 7:41am
Id cut around 30 and add more scoops if you want more pressure, and be carefull with the eq,this puts less stress on the drivers. Preamp wise the mostec mini pre is a great choice in terms of sound quality and build. Well versatile with existing equipment to.
LET THE BASS ROLL LIKE THUNDER
& THE TOPS LIKE LIGHTNING.....
mykey- View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mykey- Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 January 2011 at 7:53am
pre-amps should be banned
mykey- View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mykey- Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 January 2011 at 7:55am
Originally posted by YoungBlood YoungBlood wrote:

[QUOTE=Bush HB]
not everbody impress with rhino mini scoop some of us prefer eminence full scoop

that's why there are a incredible amount built already

Youngblood, do you have a mate called Toxic?
silworm View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote silworm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 January 2011 at 11:06am
mykey- View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mykey- Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 January 2011 at 11:12am
is it snowing there silworm?
SSS View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SSS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 January 2011 at 10:11pm
Bump :)
mikey bear View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mikey bear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 January 2011 at 11:15pm
i'd say it is worth looking at the hog scoop. they appear to play lower with less cabinets than the supers. although the superscoop/fane xb combo, whilst not the loudest, is a very nice warm cuddly bassline! for the record, the only driver  i have heard in the hog is the pd1850.

up top i'd go reflex to keep it simple for now. or maybe some tms-2 Big smile
mikey bear View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mikey bear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 January 2011 at 11:17pm
p.s. try not to get caught up in all this 1billion watt driver business.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>