Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Newbie Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

What van for £3000

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stray-Sounds Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: What van for £3000
    Posted: 26 January 2011 at 4:58pm
Hello

My old transit has finally given up.

I have £3k to spend on a new one.

What is my best bet?

Geth

<a href="http://www.soundhirewales.co.uk/">PA & Lighting - Sound Hire Wales</a>

login4 View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote login4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 January 2011 at 5:08pm
hi geth

look no further than a LT35 109bhp TDI if you can find one for that money.

CELTIC SUBSONIC SOUND SYSTEMS
burningbush View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote burningbush Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 January 2011 at 5:23pm
Van for sale in For Sale section under Adamski's listing (Perth, Scotland though). £2400 AFAIK.
music is the message
Stray-Sounds View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stray-Sounds Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 January 2011 at 5:32pm
I'll have a look at some LTs

Scotland is too far i think :(

tmg View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tmg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 January 2011 at 5:35pm
Another transit all the way. LT35's and sprinters are great but I struggled to find anything remotely decent for that price when I was looking recently. Ended up with an 04 plate LWB hi top transit for 3k. Worth every penny.
shagnasty View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shagnasty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 January 2011 at 7:29pm
As a sprinter driver I can confirm that it is worth waiting to find another Transit, the Sprinter is one of the biggest and most useless peices of junk on the road....

tomschute View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tomschute Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 January 2011 at 7:46pm
Hi Geth,

I have a 02 LWB mk6 Tranny, 106,000 on the clock. It's the beasty 125 engine which is fast. It returns about 27/8 mpg when loaded to the roof. Couple of dings but is very solid - make me an offer ;)

I need a XLWB and was gonna convert it into a camper and sell on but could be tempted for a quick local mates rates.

Tom
Out to lunch... stableaudio@hotmail.co.uk
www.stableaudio.co.uk
Speaker Building Services
tomschute View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tomschute Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 January 2011 at 7:48pm
Originally posted by shagnasty shagnasty wrote:

As a sprinter driver I can confirm that it is worth waiting to find another Transit, the Sprinter is one of the biggest and most useless peices of junk on the road....

please elaborate?

I must say the tranny is a joy to work on compared to many new vans.

Nothing will beat my old '91 LT for ease of maintainance though.
Out to lunch... stableaudio@hotmail.co.uk
www.stableaudio.co.uk
Speaker Building Services
cravings View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cravings Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 January 2011 at 8:06pm
i like my sprinter a lot actually.. y2k mwb 313.. does me very well.
Stray-Sounds View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stray-Sounds Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 January 2011 at 8:13pm
Tom, PMd Smile

Any reason why this wouldn't be a good van for me?

shagnasty View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shagnasty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 January 2011 at 8:14pm
First, the new transit has 6 cup holders!!!!

And if that isn't enough....

Which it is by the way, buy the transit!!

Mercs have a notorious issue with their smart chip keys where they blow the imobliser which is coded to the ECU and leaves the van with the word "start error" and a nasty bill...

On ECU no 3 with mine...

Getting into one without keys can be quicker than with (you need the lock cover plates to prevent this, why aren't they factory fit?)

As standard the transit has a split cahrge battery system, as standard Sprinter flatten the battery from the interior lights...

The payload on the big sprinter is actually only any good for delivering boxes of crisps (and I mean standard Walkers, not Kettle Chips)

The sprinter is also the most commonly written off vechile in it class, not good for insurance purposes..

And if you do get the thing started pray you have a clutch pedal because automatic one needs a mechanic and a spare gearbox in the back to be useful..

Also, while I think of it the cab of the sprinter is noisy with a load of dead space above your head and the transit has a hand cubby hole above the driver for a couple of rolls of cable, spare connectors and a slab of Diet coke...

The transit has a nicer gearbox and smoother engine which doesn't use oil the way the sprinter does...

Oh and for a few Quid the transit can have an electrically heated windscreen, which frankly, you need!!!

Smile

Edited by shagnasty - 26 January 2011 at 8:15pm
Plaguesguitarist View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Plaguesguitarist Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 January 2011 at 8:34pm
If it were me i'd try The Iveco turbo daily. Huge 4.2m wheel base version. Like stepping into a cave.

Fairly reliable as well. 

Sprinters are good vans to drive but a bit too expensive and do suffer reliability ( having said that, delvery companies use them a hell of a lot so they can't be that bad)

My old man told me years ago : Look at what the police use and you can't go wrong.   
Why did the lampy cross the road?

To steal MY sharpie.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>