Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Amp Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

QSC PLX3002 for bass?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mk2_ginger_biscuit69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: QSC PLX3002 for bass?
    Posted: 28 January 2011 at 4:55am
noticed an install i was working with today has a PLX3002 driving 4x dual18" reflex subs. Now this theoretically means a 2ohm load per side depending on the wiring all done 4core so could be some series parallel going on? Was installed by a reputable company who i have full faith in + did a good job!

I know the cabs by default are 4ohm (8ohm drivers), and the drivers are 1k each.

So despite being underpowered at 1500w per side = 375w/driver which seems rather odd. Sounds pleasant out front with just enough volume on the dance floor in a balanced manor, but lacked potential i know these cabs have, on the stage behind the stacks you cant really hear a thing of the FOH which is rather bizarre.

Ive only used these amps on midtop, whats their performance generally regarded as for the lower stuff?

''Remember that the object of a subwoofer is to enhance the output of your main speakers, not overpower it''

''Dubstep - an elongated electronic fart''
QSS View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote QSS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 January 2011 at 9:14am
I've used both the PLX3002 and PLX3402 on bass and they do a pretty good job. The difference is I bridge them to run two PD186 loaded bins on each amp, so there was enough power.

"Music is life"
mk2_ginger_biscuit69 View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mk2_ginger_biscuit69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 January 2011 at 5:02pm
forgot to add this rooms got 750 person capacity!
''Remember that the object of a subwoofer is to enhance the output of your main speakers, not overpower it''

''Dubstep - an elongated electronic fart''
Tekasis View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tekasis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 January 2011 at 8:44pm
Where's Sufferer! was it one of these amps (PLX3002 and PLX3402) you used on sub at the best entertainment last year?
**Heavy Weight-Line**
A home without books is like a body with no soul.
swannie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote swannie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 January 2011 at 12:20pm
+1 on the PLX3002's .. ive got 4 of them, often run 2 in 4ohm bridge mono for bass. Seem to cope very well with loads of headroom + i can lift all 4 amps in one flight case :0)
darkmatter View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darkmatter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 February 2011 at 2:27pm
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?p=12938838#post12938838

Think the general consensus is they meet specs for bass, exceed them for mid/hi. The heavily compressed sustained sub heads might be left wanting more but other than that I think they're really good.
 Post Reply Post Reply