Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Plans > Plan Requests
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Martin Audio F2B

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Peter Jan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 February 2011 at 12:11pm
Carefull with info on that database, more often than not it's just guesswork or plain nonsense.
That ATC speaker's X damage is 25mm peak-to-peak, not the same as an Xmax of 12,5mm.
X max is a good deal lower than that, about 5mm.

Noize-Guerilla View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Noize-Guerilla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 February 2011 at 3:08pm
Ok, I deleted the data from the previous post.

Thanks for the info

And 1 question about the rcf l15p200ak will it fit/work in the original martin f2b design?

Edited by Noize-Guerilla - 13 February 2011 at 3:12pm
I'm not poor, but money doesn't make me rich.
tv00 View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tv00 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 September 2013 at 11:27pm
One thing I wonder about these manifolds, sometimes they are like two separate horns put together, othertimes they are like two separate horns until they meet, and then they share the same exit path, I believe the wicked one is like that, how about f2b / mk3 ?
djeddie View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote djeddie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 September 2013 at 10:59pm
Originally posted by tv00 tv00 wrote:

One thing I wonder about these manifolds, sometimes they are like two separate horns put together, othertimes they are like two separate horns until they meet, and then they share the same exit path, I believe the wicked one is like that, how about f2b / mk3 ?

That's a good description of the F2B. If the pic shows, it's from MA themselves... not a plan, but a good side view (as drawings go!).

Chas n Dave : it's like Drum and Bass but with beards.             E=mc² ±3dB
a1olsen View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote a1olsen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 October 2013 at 3:37pm
Originally posted by Noize-Guerilla Noize-Guerilla wrote:

And 1 question about the rcf l15p200ak will it fit/work in the original martin f2b design?

Hi Noize-Guerilla,

YES - the RCF L15-200will fit and might even use the same bolt holes as the ATC drivers the bin was designed for, BUT - The RCF is quite a lot less sensitive than the ATC... it's in the order of at least 2db's...
They are also a lot slower, since moving mass is much higher and conversion efficiency a bit poor...
The RCF L15-200 is best used in reflex caps really.

A very good, but albeit 'Ol school' alternative here is old refurbished JBL's! 
2225H will do a marvellous job and so to E140 with a paper dust-Cap replacement (or damping/stiffening agent on the Alu alloy dome). 
Best would be E140 Baskets with 2225 kits in them! 
This due to E140 employing a slightly thicker magnet with about 10% more Magnet flux in the same size gap, than the 2225.

Of course there's modern drivers too and with a Neo magnet equipped one utilizing a shallow overall depth (Which is an issue in the 215Mk3 and the F2B, some very good results could be obtained, with a less 'back breaking' assembled Cabinet weight...

On a passing note; the F2B is a slightly wider/higher derivative version of the 215Mk3. 
The best overall performance probably belongs to the 215Mk3... 
I actually looked at the possibility of equipping the F2B with 17"-18" while I worked at the company, but there's was never (and still isn't to me admittedly humble knowledge) a suitable shallow depth enough drive unit in that size range available...
I have however made working proto's in me own CSW-ChiLi Sound Works shop, but it/that was never sufficiently commercialized.

Best regards and wishes for 'fair wind on Your quest'

'Doc'O

tv00 View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tv00 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 October 2013 at 4:20pm
@djeddie: I mean when simulating, you pic looks like two separate horns all the way because the width of the manifold is the double of the two horns, in wicked horns they seem to start as separate horns and then joins up like they where only one, I saw that in some other post somewhere.
burningbush View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote burningbush Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 October 2013 at 5:08pm
a "bifurcated" horn.
music is the message
tv00 View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tv00 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 October 2013 at 5:41pm
No I think that's a horn splitting up into two?
Look at the wicked one:
http://www.decware.com/newsite/images/wh4.jpg
The cross section area is bigger at the manifold where the paths join than just after this at the final conical part. This can be calculated like two separate horns sharing the last horn section, but I think it only has the size of one horn exit. Look at the right horn path, the color is lighter.
This horn is so strange look at the first bend, HUGE sudden expansion, same with the exit.

This saves a lot of space, but how does it work?
tv00 View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tv00 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 October 2013 at 5:42pm
HERE it is! U see:
http://forum.speakerplans.com/ported-bandpass-horn-with-a-v18_topic67172.html

"So the left driver would see the green path, and the right driver would see the blue path. Even though you have two horns, you don't get the lowering of frequency response that you get by placing two completely separate horns together,  because obviously your not doubling the mouth area. But you do get the increase in SPL because you are doubling the drivers, and as each one sees the same expansion as it would in a single horn then response stays the same......."
Robbo View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Robbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 October 2013 at 8:45pm
Anyone thinking of fitting non original drivers to F2B cabinets has to be extremely careful--yes a lot of drivers will fit and bolt on to the baffle OK but when you come to fit the speaker hatch back on to the cabinet, you will find that it fouls the magnet as the original ATC driver has one of the lowest front flange to rear of magnet profiles that have ever been made and this only clears the hatch by about half an inch and then you also have the potential problem of the cone hitting the slot baffle if the driver has a decent X max and obviously it is impossible to fit a spacer shim to the baffle as this makes the magnet fouling the hatch problem even worse---Just in case its any help to anyone on here reading this post, I think that I may still have a few ATC drivers in my pile of speaker chassis---Some working + some blown.
tv00 View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tv00 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 October 2013 at 9:19pm
I used the pd.1550 in the mk3, good punch, less high end i guess.
Perhaps check out the rcf neo drivers, they're good for horns, they're not that deep or at least not that wide.
You have to decide if you want the higher midbass mb15n401 or a deep harder punch with the lf15n451

Anyway check the thread with martin mk3 suitable drivers, I think there's even sims, the two cabs should be close to similar.
Robbo View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Robbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 October 2013 at 9:31pm
PD 1550 drivers will not physically fit inside standard Martin Audio F2B cabinets as they foul the hatch big time.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>