Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Newbie Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Speaker cab paint

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote `Matt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Speaker cab paint
    Posted: 06 February 2011 at 9:13pm
When it comes to painting speaker cabs, what do you guys use. I wanted a 5kg of "Tuff Cab™ Black Speaker Cabinet Paint" but there out of stock on blue aran, and i could really do with it before friday.

Anyone got any suggestions of paint makes?

I will be giving 4 186 horns a fresh couple of coats, for my first paid bit of work on saturday.

PS. Black paint please
Naff_monk View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Naff_monk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 February 2011 at 9:24pm
search on here for alcroft adhesives, tuffcab is made by them and will sell to you direct. 

Edit: just noticed you're new, welcome to the forum. Thumbs Up

Edited by Naff_monk - 06 February 2011 at 9:25pm
WiredOne View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WiredOne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 February 2011 at 6:30pm
On the subject of TuffCab paint, I painted a sub with it for the first time a few days ago (in 'wine red') and have followed the advice elsewhere on this site (several coats with a roller, applied at room temperature, left for a few days to set and toughen up).
In the past I have used any old black paint and covered in yacht varnish to protect the paintwork/toughen the cab up. Is it necessary/advisable/waste of time to cover Aldcrofts/TuffCab paintwork in varnish? Or does the paint itself do the job?
I bought the paint from BlueAran but it didn't come with any instructions or advice on preperation/application/finishing etc. (I read somewhere in a thread on here that it did come with detailed instructions, but that may have been ordered directly from aldcrofts).
A quick answer from anyone would be much appreciated as the cab is sitting there waiting for me to decide wether to varnish it or start fitting the corners/connectors etc. and I want to see the end result before I start on the other three and my tops.
Cheers.
hmaudio View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hmaudio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 February 2011 at 6:39pm
if your in a real rush and cant get any i suggest chalk board paint. very tuff and its about 7quid a kg.

Nottingham based cab builder. https://www.facebook.com/HMAudio-154352667920145/?ref=bookmarks
This account is used by 2 people.
WiredOne View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote WiredOne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 February 2011 at 6:51pm
I've got a 5kg tub of TuffCab 'wine red' and a tin of yacht varnish. Judging by the amount I used doing five coats on one cab, I reckon it will easily do the other three subs and hopefully both tops.

I've got the paint an' tings, just need to know if the yacht varnish is needed.
krazyneil View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote krazyneil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 February 2011 at 10:29pm

i wouldnt varnish them

the thing with painted cabs is if you get any scuffs or marks you can just get your rolller out and go over the bit in questionSmile
GOD TOLD ME TO DO IT !!!!!
WiredOne View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WiredOne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 February 2011 at 11:47pm
Cheers for the advice krazyneil. 

That makes sense, but it also makes sense to use some sort of external varnish or protection on wood for outdoor use.

Although, if the aldcrofts/tuffcab paint is all its cracked up to be then it should do the job that varnish etc. would do, right?
djscooby View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote djscooby Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 February 2011 at 4:28pm
Aldcrofts are based in bolton if you ring them tell em your on sp they may knock you a couple of quid off (but dont quote me on that)
Well my wife has kicked me out saying it's over due to my obsession with speakers don't know watt I'm gonna do with no ohm to go to
CCAV View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CCAV Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 February 2011 at 5:29pm
Ive been using Truck Bed Liner and having great results It comes in many colors You can pick it up at almost any auto parts store here in the states It's water Proof dries very quickly and can be rolled or sprayed with a texture gun from Harbor Freight ($19) 
In my early years my favorite phrase was "If it's too loud your too old" Now I'm just too old
CCAV View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CCAV Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 February 2011 at 5:30pm
It also comes in a spray can for touch up 
In my early years my favorite phrase was "If it's too loud your too old" Now I'm just too old
likshot View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote likshot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 February 2013 at 3:46pm
Has anyone used protectakote black on cabs before.
Intouch soundsystem
swan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote swan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 February 2013 at 11:00am
I used something called stone chip that is used on cars and very chip resistant. I used it on my light boxes with a textured roller and sprayed over it with satin black. Came out very nice. Must still do my subs and 15" boxes. It is also very cheap and dries quickly. It comes in black, grey and white. Cost is about R50-00 (about £4) per liter. It is water based.
Music is my adiction
 Post Reply Post Reply