Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Plans > 1850 and 186 horns
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Could I use this Bass driver for the 1850

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bassface1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Could I use this Bass driver for the 1850
    Posted: 06 March 2011 at 5:08pm

Hi there, was wondering if someone could tell me if i could use this bass driver instead of the one recomended due to price. And if anyone has any experience of it such as quality.

rich_gale View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rich_gale Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 March 2011 at 5:47pm
I have heard 1850 horns loaded with fane neos and they worked well.  maybe look at the 186 horn aswell.  one will suit this fane better than the other.
REFLEX ALL THE WAY.... (however, im playing with horns again...) That ok Mister Valiant? :)
bassface1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bassface1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 March 2011 at 5:58pm
Cheers for the reply , would you be able to post a link to those fane neos .cheers
rich_gale View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rich_gale Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 March 2011 at 7:03pm
they were a fk1/fane neo prototype.  600w.  long before fane started offering neo 18" woofers to the public.

maybe look into the type of 18" horn FK1 were manufacturing with neo drivers back between 2001-2005. 

if price is a factor, but you want a definite success with your cabinets, why not go for the 186 horn/pd186 driver combination?   this is a proven design, and is supposed to sound better than the 1850 horn.
REFLEX ALL THE WAY.... (however, im playing with horns again...) That ok Mister Valiant? :)
Dilux View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dilux Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 March 2011 at 2:51am

186 horn:
black sovpro18
grey 186

Fane recomend this driver in BR or closed box, so the mecanical resistance may not be enought for horn load. It could break fast. I dont think its going to do a lot better in the 1850 horn. If you dont want to pay the price of a pd I would go for the v1000.
djeddie View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote djeddie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 March 2011 at 9:25am
If you've put the SovPro 18 in to HR, have a look at the Cone displacement. If it's anything like I did, it'll be way over xmax!
Chas n Dave : it's like Drum and Bass but with beards.             E=mc² ±3dB
 Post Reply Post Reply