Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Electro Frying Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Crossover problems, Help!!

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jonspank Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Crossover problems, Help!!
    Posted: 08 March 2011 at 10:11pm
Hi All,

I'm currently baffled by a problem, and welcome any suggestions as to what is going on. I've put a small playback system in a friend's cafe. Two subs and two tops, very modest for acoustic acts doing open mic nights and the odd DJ.

It's all been running fine with a Behringer CX2310 crossover but a few of the, shall we say, overenthusiastic DJs have decided they know how to set up the system and started twiddling knobs. Suffice to say they managed to turn one side of the PA off completely, and totally screw up the crossover frequencies. To combat this, I bought the very budget T.Racks 2/4 digital crossover, mainly so that I can lock out all other users, and handily I could also put some limiting on the system.  

I bought one of the units, and spent a bit of time at home trying to work the software and finally got to grips with it and was starting to warm to it. Everything was running fine at home, and I managed to set it up based on the settings I had the Berry running on and was all ready to take it to the venue to install. The cafe is open day and night, so I didn't want to be spending too long setting things up on site as there would be plenty of customers about. 

I pulled out the old crossover, plugging in the replacement and fitted it into the rack. I did briefly think I should check it before screwing it back into the rack, but decided I was being paranoid and went ahead. 

When I turned the crossover on, things went a bit strange. Firstly it came up with a ROM error message, but once I turned the unit off and back on again this had gone, only to be replaced by another problem. Once the unit had gone through the whole wake up procedure, the meters for the output channels 1&3 (the sub outputs as I had it set up) were fully illuminated, ie clipping. I didn't want to turn the amps on a) because I didn't want to damage anything, and  b) I would've got a right telling off for disturbing the customers! This was without any input signal, so I can't quite work out what this was, maybe a very odd feedback loop. 

Anyway, to cut what has become a very long winded story slightly shorter even when I took the crossover back out of the rack, no input or outputs plugged in, just a mains cable, it was giving me the same problem. Once the unit was back home again, it was behaving perfectly normally again. The only thing I can put it down to is a problem with the power in the venue, but looking at the specs for the unit is says that it will accept 90-250V, 50-60 Hz. So I don't imagine low voltage would cause the problem.

Does anyone have any suggestions at all? Like I said, I'm totally stumped!

Many thanks,

Jon
Edd Jordan View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Edd Jordan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 March 2011 at 11:48pm
Earth problem? hot rack,  something shorting some where! go and check the rack with a volt meter. make sure the (i know this obvious) cables are pluged into the right sockets.

Let us know how you get on.  
I do a sideline in ply wood wheels.
subbass View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote subbass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 March 2011 at 12:54am
try plugging the unit into another socket in the venue, then try with one other thing in the power chain (extension lead)?, adding bits till you find the problem. it may get a little messy with the cables - but theres something in there thats not right!

hopefully its not their entire supply, otherwise you'll need to get a sparky in....
Jonspank View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jonspank Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 March 2011 at 12:47pm
Thanks for help guys. I tried it on a separate 13A socket, although on the same ring and had the same problem. This was with nothing else plugged in, ie audio. 

I guess I really need to speak to the electrician, it does seem a bit odd.

I will keep you posted.
service dept Steve View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote service dept Steve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 March 2011 at 11:30pm
Sounds like you might have a dry joint or a loose connector in there.
We are not "They", We are "The others"http://www.servicedept.co.uk -
 Post Reply Post Reply