Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > General Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Tops with good kick section

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mykey- Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 March 2011 at 1:41pm
both 50hz - 20k

RosscoPico View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RosscoPico Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 March 2011 at 1:49pm
Very sexy!  What do they reproduce at 50Hz....

-3, -6, -10 dB?

Also it that in singles / pairs / quads?
.:ELEMENT 5 SYSTEMS:.
mykey- View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mykey- Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 March 2011 at 2:07pm
the tfr could be used as a fullrange cab, single
C4 would have to be in 4's, but was designed for kick mid hi only, and boy does it produce a good clean kick, I use them from 90 up above the D21's

tfr is a BPH, C4 is a FLH

I see you're using a bullet from 4k above a 6.5'' that doesn't have a phase bung, hows that coping?
Bm! View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bm! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 March 2011 at 2:15pm
Originally posted by RosscoPico RosscoPico wrote:

When using 2 per side, these have a good "upper-bass" response (-3dB @100Hz) or with 4 (-3dB @80Hz)

Each cab = 2x12", 6" midrange + bullet.

"Triax" 3D model with "a cutout cross-section"

i do love the look of these, they should definitely win an award for sexiest speaker!
mykey- View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mykey- Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 March 2011 at 2:17pm
it's just that when you add a horn to a phase bung'less driver (horn looks fairly biggish) a lot of the top end from the 6.5 will go for walkies, this is why you add a phase bung to get it right back up there again, or lots of EQ

toastyghost View Drop Down
The 10,000 Points Club
The 10,000 Points Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote toastyghost Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 March 2011 at 2:46pm
Originally posted by Smiter Smiter wrote:

X3 LF section goes lower than 80 and much higher than 150.

Have you or anybody else in the UK picked any up yet? Would love to hear them.
Smiter View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Smiter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 March 2011 at 2:54pm

We'll have ours soon! If you want to hear them then there is demo stock.

I'm not sure who else in the UK has them as they've only just been launched but there is some overseas.
toastyghost View Drop Down
The 10,000 Points Club
The 10,000 Points Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote toastyghost Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 March 2011 at 2:59pm
Originally posted by Smiter Smiter wrote:

We'll have ours soon! If you want to hear them then there is demo stock.

I'm not sure who else in the UK has them as they've only just been launched but there is some overseas.

Thought you might be jumping in, they do look well nice. Give me a shout if you're ever up this neck of the woods with them - demo stock would be nice but I don't really have the cash to make it worth their while at the moment, and I'd feel a little dishonest going in empty handed!
RosscoPico View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RosscoPico Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 March 2011 at 3:42pm
Originally posted by mykey- mykey- wrote:

the tfr could be used as a fullrange cab, single
C4 would have to be in 4's, but was designed for kick mid hi only, and boy does it produce a good clean kick, I use them from 90 up above the D21's  [Sure I seeWink]

tfr is a BPH, C4 is a FLH

I see you're using a bullet from 4k above a 6.5'' that doesn't have a phase bung, hows that coping?

and...

Originally posted by mykey- mykey- wrote:

it's just that when you add a horn to a phase bung'less driver (horn looks fairly biggish) a lot of the top end from the 6.5 will go for walkies, this is why you add a phase bung to get it right back up there again, or lots of EQ

Your absolutely right Mykey, I agree with what your saying there!

When we built our first batch of "Triax" cabinets which were phototypes, although they didn't have any phase bungs initially we'd considered that they'd probably need them and measurements also showed this to be true.

An original pic [before phase plugs were fitted];

And here's one after we fitted some;

It's a bit different from some other designs as they are a kind of "inverted conical phase plug", but they do the job just as well.  I appreciate that these particular phase plugs are by no means a perfect fit, however they do sit as close as possible to the dust cap of the midrange, only just allowing enough room for driver excursion!

The next ones we build will have nicer looking  phase plugs, as next time we'll use a lathe so they'll fit exactly to match magnet size of the rear of bullets.  I doubt this will make any noticeable "audible" difference really, just an improvement on the aesthetics! 

Edited by RosscoPico - 17 March 2011 at 3:45pm
.:ELEMENT 5 SYSTEMS:.
njw View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote njw Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 March 2011 at 5:52pm
  Martin Audio blackline H3
Risc_Terilia View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Risc_Terilia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 March 2011 at 5:54pm
Originally posted by biotec biotec wrote:

A lot of 3 way horn loaded mid tops ahve a short 12inch horn on low mid which wont work for kick. Examples include turbo flood and flash, void stasys 3, etc .

res 4 and 5 have a BPH but are only specced for 115hz and up. They can probably be run lower with compromised headroom.

Ah yeah forgot about those designes.  Think Floodlights only do 180 hz up right?
jonnyhonda View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jonnyhonda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 March 2011 at 11:56pm
+1 on the Martin H3, and for Funktion One with kick surely it would need to be a Res 3?
FFA 10k + 6004, Em Quake, Martin H3
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12