Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Newbie Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

m6 or m8 bolts for pd1850

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote djslacka Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: m6 or m8 bolts for pd1850
    Posted: 06 April 2011 at 10:19am
I know it states on the spec sheet that the pd1850 needs m8 bolts and tee nuts to mount it. Is it possible to get away with m6 bolts in the holes? i have loads of m6 tee nuts, and it would be nice to use them, rather than buying more. 
Found used pd1850s!
jbinks View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbinks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 April 2011 at 2:56pm
Well, you can... but bear in mind the WEIGHT of the driver.

If you do use m6, then remove the foam gasket and re-locate it so that you use the 8 hidden bolt holes. (these are the same pattern as the void drivers, so it's handy to have the baffle drilled for these if you ever need to change to a void driver).

That way you are at least spreading the load over 8 bolts, not 6.

Personally I would use m8 for the strength. t-nuts have a habit of failing under heavy loads. The bolts should be fine.

If you use m6, you'll probably need washers unless the heads are quite large. Remember to lightly grease/oil the end of the bolts before you fit them otherwise you'll end up with seized t-nuts and a nightmare to remove in the future.

Bolts and t-nuts don't cost much.
Do a job properly - once.

John

Post Reply Post Reply