Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > 12v Powered Systems
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Makita 18v li system

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Heathrow_B_line Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Makita 18v li system
    Posted: 15 April 2011 at 5:39pm
I havegt a lot of makita li bats, could i make use of them for a portable sound system power source?

i was thinking of buying a makita radio and uprating the amp and speakers.

is it worth it?

i like the radio as it alread has a mounting for the battery
Produce a killer sound. Take no prisoners.
rich_gale View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rich_gale Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 April 2011 at 7:02pm
those makita radios are great.  id imagine feeding some higher effieincy boxes from the makita might work well.  i used some bosch 12v nicads a few years ago.  each one lasted about an hour on a cheap sony 2 channel car amp.
REFLEX ALL THE WAY.... (however, im playing with horns again...) That ok Mister Valiant? :)
RAGING PROMOTIONS View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RAGING PROMOTIONS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 April 2011 at 1:01am
i dont know about the makita radio but the batteries are wicked, had one on a battery powered angle grinder, long life and you can recharge them in 20 mins on their super-duper charger!  might be worth buying a broken makita drill and hacking it into another project using the handle as a battery holder?

Jake
PatM View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PatM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 April 2011 at 9:50am
You need to keep the batteries charged up when in storage, as the charge monitoring circuit slowly runs down one cell.  I charge mine every 3 weeks even if they haven't been used as otherwise that cell dies.  Also I've had one battery die from overuse, but it was out on loan at the time with a circular saw that I think was run to overheating - I'm never lending them again....

Tom Tapey View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom Tapey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2011 at 6:24pm
You would be surprised to how good the makita radios are....i've played around with new drivers and decided that the drivers they supply are very good for that box. I have the 18v lipo battery's and with the class ab amp they supply it will last for around 20hr maybe more, also this amp has been set very well for sound quality so to fit a class d would be pointless due to the work involved to gain the correct sound for that box using the new amp, also efficiency would need to be considered when setting the eq.
Tom Tapey View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom Tapey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2011 at 10:44pm
http://www.power-tools-pro.co.uk/makita-bmr100-job-site-radio-p-3408.html?currency=GBP

Quite a cheap price.

This bosch radio is quite cool, much louder than the makita due to having a bass speaker underneath & 4 little speakers, one on each corner.

Edited by Limited - 03 May 2011 at 10:46pm
Saturnus View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Saturnus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2011 at 11:06pm
  It's funny how we rate sound quality. Having been working in the woodworking industry (specifically with loudspeakers) for many years, I have indeed heard both the Makita and the Bosch, and I'd rate their sound quality to be only slightly above a clock radio. Efficiency on either is horrible as well, especially for the Bosch which will only last a couple of hours on a large cordless battery. If I had to chose between the two, I'd go for the Bosch but I think I'd rather have my head beaten in repeatedly by a 4x4" than having to listen to that quality of sound all day.    

Edited by Saturnus - 03 May 2011 at 11:07pm
Tom Tapey View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom Tapey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2011 at 11:48pm
Originally posted by Saturnus Saturnus wrote:

It's funny how we rate sound quality. Having been working in the woodworking industry (specifically with loudspeakers) for many years, I have indeed heard both the Makita and the Bosch, and I'd rate their sound quality to be only slightly above a clock radio. Efficiency on either is horrible as well, especially for the Bosch which will only last a couple of hours on a large cordless battery. If I had to chose between the two, I'd go for the Bosch but I think I'd rather have my head beaten in repeatedly by a 4x4" than having to listen to that quality of sound all day.    

I agree about the battery life of the bosch. As for sound quality.......its all about the bass on that radio Big smile

But yea i wont get to carried away but looking at the products for what they are, they both are very reasonable and i,m sure the designers could of improved them with out the boundaries they are faced with i.e. production costs vs profit margins.

If i was going to sit at home and listen to some of my favorite music it would not be my first choice i must admit but if i was out and about and fancied a radio 4 fix maybe radio 2 its a winner!!

I don't no why i'm sticking up for either as i made my own portable speaker due to transport reasons.  LOL

Edited by Limited - 03 May 2011 at 11:58pm
bobadobadob View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bobadobadob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 July 2011 at 7:46pm
hi.

i am also looking to upgrade the makita's speakers but am a bit of a noob in the speaker world.

i was looking at either of these speakers to fit (as for dimensions they're good);

http://www.stagebeat.co.uk/product.php?product_id=113124&source=froogle - http://www.stagebeat.co.uk/product.php?product_id=113124&source=froogle

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=370509533034&fromMakeTrack=true&ssPageName=VIP:watch:top:en - http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=370509533034&fromMakeTrack=true&ssPageName=VIP:watchlink:top:en

what do you guys think and will other parts need uprating along with the speakers.

not that theres anything much wrong with the speakers at the moment, just want a bit more quality and volume.
 Post Reply Post Reply