Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Newbie Discussion
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - PD1850 vs Void Acoustics V18-1000 is it worthy???
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

PD1850 vs Void Acoustics V18-1000 is it worthy???

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote emperorfaith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: PD1850 vs Void Acoustics V18-1000 is it worthy???
    Posted: 27 April 2011 at 8:00pm
Ok, i know this is always dependent on cabinet etc, but just for theorys sake lets say it's for cabs that has been tried and tested for both like the 1850 cab etc.

Does the 1850 produce a sound that is worthy of its extra £80?? This is essentially 25% price increase so i would expect it to be 25% better, is that correct??

I'm just guaging if it is really worth the extra money as on an initial build it can add 800 odd quid to a build cost. 
emperorfaith View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote emperorfaith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 April 2011 at 8:01pm
Having said all that is the PD1851 worth an extra 130 over the Void?
cilla.scope View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Legs all the way to her bottom....

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cilla.scope Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 April 2011 at 8:06pm
if you can define exactly "better" I can easily tell you if its 25% better or not ... 
My girlfriend thinks I'm a stalker.
Well, she's not exactly my girlfriend yet ...
adambomb View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adambomb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 April 2011 at 9:12pm

Edited by adambomb - 27 April 2011 at 9:18pm

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote emperorfaith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 April 2011 at 9:20pm
Originally posted by cilla.scope cilla.scope wrote:

if you can define exactly "better" I can easily tell you if its 25% better or not ... 

Louder, more clarity, more musical, anything really. I'm the one trying to find out, so you should be telling me if one is better than the other and how...... Smile
adambomb View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adambomb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 April 2011 at 9:24pm
They are pretty much exactly the same application and sound wise - the void is just cheaper.

We have used PD1850 + V1000 loaded cabs next to each other many times and couldn't tell any real difference.

The real question is over recones - I'll bet you can still get a PD1850 recone in ten years, the void - well I'm not so sure. (not that Void won't be there, just wonder if they will still support the driver - as dropping it has come up in the past).

Edited by adambomb - 27 April 2011 at 9:26pm

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote emperorfaith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 April 2011 at 9:40pm
Cheers for that, you are kind of confirming what i'm thinking. To me you are paying for convience with the PDs, i've been seeing the reason for this is the availabilty of cones, how long they've been about, generally they are the industry standard, with i'd guess the 1851 replacing it over time.

As i am only planning to keep the subs for about 2 years then upgrading, and on top of that they are only gonna get used a couple of times a month, it looks like it would make more sense to me to go witht he Voids.
toastyghost View Drop Down
The 10,000 Points Club
The 10,000 Points Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote toastyghost Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 April 2011 at 2:21am
Saying that, there was a period just a year or so ago where PD were on slightly shaky ground prior to a buy out...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote emperorfaith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 April 2011 at 10:14am
Originally posted by toastyghost toastyghost wrote:

Saying that, there was a period just a year or so ago where PD were on slightly shaky ground prior to a buy out...

So the advice is, if you are buying speakers go with the Void, if you are buy shares go with PD? LOL

tmg View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tmg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 April 2011 at 10:39am
i much prefer the sound of the voids over the PD, just a personal preference, we used to use 1850's then moved to V18-1000's, and i personally think they sound much smoother and more musical.

V18's are much harder to get hold of now than they used to be though, thanks to the closing of Pro Audio Parts, so i agree that more drivers and spares may be harder to get hold of in future if your planning to expand.

I'm sure many people on here will have differing opinions, so it might be a good plan to try and listen to the difference for yourself before making a decision.
tmg View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tmg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 April 2011 at 10:48am
oh, and we had some very dodgy drivers from PD a while ago, I was reliably told this was a "bad batch" but they all had magnets slightly offset which caused several drivers to blow. And we had to rip them apart before realising it was a manufacturing fault, voiding our warranty.
norty303 View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote norty303 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 April 2011 at 11:24am
Quote As i am only planning to keep the subs for about 2 years then upgrading, and on top of that they are only gonna get used a couple of times a month, it looks like it would make more sense to me to go witht he Voids

Bear in mind that people who may be prospective purchasers of your used cabs in 2 years time may well also be looking for something with longevity and support.

In 2 years you could find yourself stuck with cabs loaded with blown drivers and no opportunity to obtain recones that nobody is interested in.
Alternatively you could be in possession of cabs loaded with classic drivers that lots of people respect and desire and a spares network as long as your arm...
My laser stuff: Frikkin Lasers
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>