Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Advanced Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

phase plug design, simple or not ?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rogerharris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: phase plug design, simple or not ?
    Posted: 30 May 2011 at 11:12pm

Trying to knock together a phase plug for the Funktion 1 Ax88 driver.

according to this the principle is not complex in terms of calculations. Its just a blocker for phase cancellation and thats it. high frequencies come from the centre of the cone, and the plug stops them crossing each other.

http://www.preference-audio.com/phaseplug.htm

So if this right, then all the the fancy angles on the F1 horns are really just dispersion. There is no real maths to the actual phase plug action itself ? All it has to do is prevent cross cancellation,and sit near the cone centre. 

infrasound View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote infrasound Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 May 2011 at 11:18pm
rogerharris View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rogerharris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 May 2011 at 11:26pm

I know there is the compression driver aspect to phase plugs in Compression drivers...

i.e.

but this does not appear to be present in the F1 driver. It just a cross cancellation plug and horn located next to the driver for wide dispersion. 

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rogerharris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 May 2011 at 11:29pm

Originally posted by infrasound infrasound wrote:

http://www.centauriaudio.com.au/diy/plugs.html

I was just referring to this, but this is to engineer higher frequencies from a cone not setup for it.

The F1 cone is not like a normal driver. The voice coil does not protrude from the magnet and there is practically no up and down cone movement.   Its already a paper diaphragm.  I can hear up to 7k coming from it. its just not as loud in that region as it is up to 3.5k. 

I presume thats because there is no plug in there and the high frequencies are canceling out when coming from the cone centre rather. With the plug they would than be blocked from doing that and dispersed out by the plug as in first image posted here.

Edited by rogerharris - 30 May 2011 at 11:35pm
kevinmcdonough View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kevinmcdonough Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 May 2011 at 11:48pm
Originally posted by rogerharris rogerharris wrote:

So if this right, then all the the fancy angles on the F1 horns are really just dispersion. There is no real maths to the actual phase plug action itself ? All it has to do is prevent cross cancellation,and sit near the cone centre. 

Well, in theory yes.

In practice it will also affect the sound greatly, in subtle ways that aren't always predictable just going by the maths. Almost always takes LOTS of prototyopes and modifications to get a result.

There was another thread over the last few weeks where (possibly Centauri again) was comparing lots of different phaseplugs on the same driver, all basically the same bit with the "ring" of sound output in different places. And was noticably different results for each one.

k
pfly View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pfly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 May 2011 at 12:13am
F1 Axehead creates in essence a ring radiator, it matches path and time differences before the throat and eats away compression chamber volume. After the throat phase plug is part of horn expansion, at the same time taking care of even dispersion throughout the intended range of whole device and at the same time keeping horn profile in check thus making mad efficiency possible.

It is possible that cone produces 10khz tone but it will probably be too narrow dispersion to be of any use whereas if you'd put horn in front of it, the horn not only even the dispersion, but would amplify (match the impedance between cone and air) certain fq range while attenuating others. Put it simply, horns generally make usable frequency range narrower but on the other hand make things more efficient. Here the real art of F1 starts, how they seem to make things possible no one else can, to get as much efficiency and clean sound out through that wide bandwidth as F1 Resolution mid devices do is pretty amazing.

Edited by pfly - 31 May 2011 at 12:55am

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rogerharris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 May 2011 at 12:13am
Originally posted by kevinmcdonough kevinmcdonough wrote:

Well, in theory yes.

In practice it will also affect the sound greatly, in subtle ways that aren't always predictable just going by the maths. Almost always takes LOTS of prototyopes and modifications to get a result.

There was another thread over the last few weeks where (possibly Centauri again) was comparing lots of different phaseplugs on the same driver, all basically the same bit with the "ring" of sound output in different places. And was noticably different results for each one.

k

Ill PM him about this. I think the problem he is having is that the plug is not right on the cone centre and the cones are not designed as a diaphragm in the first place.  

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rogerharris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 May 2011 at 12:39am

a few pics for thought.

the AX88 drivers i have. Notice the paper is over where the voice coil usually protrudes. the cone vibrates rather than moves up and down.

The res 2 and the AX88.

both have similiar frequency response and the same 8" driver.. yet the horn design is pretty different. The diameter for both of these boxes are the same.  It does not look like there is precise maths in terms of spacing i.e. which would be needed to alter the speed of a compression wave. . Looks mostly like its all about dispersion differences..

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rogerharris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 May 2011 at 12:49am
Originally posted by pfly pfly wrote:

F1 Axehead creates in essence a ring radiator, it matches path and time differences before the throat and eats away compression chamber volume. After the throat phase plug is part of horn expansion, at the same time taking care of even dispersion throughout the intended range of whole device and at the same time keeping horn profile in check thus making mad efficiency possible.

It is possible that cone produces 10khz tone but it will probably be too narrow to be of any use whereas if you'd put horn in front of it, the horn would amplify (match the impedance between cone and air) certain fq range while attenuating others. Put it simply, horns generally make usable frequency range narrower but on the other hand make things more efficient. Here the real art of F1 starts, how they seem to make things possible no one else can, to get as much efficiency and clean sound out through that wide bandwidth as F1 Resolution mid devices do is pretty amazing.

Ok, back to drawing board. I thought i might be trying to simplify it. So basically the horn design is helping the driver become a ring radiator ?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tweeter

Dome tweeter

A dome tweeter is constructed by attaching a voice coil to a dome (made of woven fabric, thin metal or other suitable material), which is attached to the magnet or the top plate via a low compliance suspension. These tweeters typically do not have a frame or basket, but a simple front plate attached to the magnet assembly. Dome tweeters are categorized by their voice coil diameter, and range from 19 mm (0.75 in), through 38 mm (1.5 in). The overwhelming majority of dome tweeters presently used in hi-fi speakers are 25 mm (1 in) in diameter.

A variation is the ring radiator in which the 'suspension' of the cone or dome becomes the major radiating element. These tweeters have different directivity characteristics when compared to standard dome tweeters.

so does the ring radiator horn design of the F1 also compress the sound or is it all about directivity ?

pfly View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pfly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 May 2011 at 12:49am
Dedicated mid range cones have typically xmax of 0,5-2mm. The felt suspension thing that is stuck between plug end and pole piece can flex enough. Of course cone moves back and forth, it is just so small and fast movement you'd think its just vibration.

Quote alter the speed of a compression wave

?

Wikipedia doesn't tell whole thruth about ring radiators, actually I think someone got this completely wrong there. I suggest you to check out things like jbl 2402 and any bms compression driver for example.

http://forum.speakerplans.com/f412m-as-promised_topic40322.html

Edited by pfly - 31 May 2011 at 12:52am

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rogerharris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 May 2011 at 1:12am

ok that explains it somewhat. So it looks as if the F1 is a massive paper version of this.

interesting plots of all this various stuff here

http://www.aeronet.com.au/waveguide.htm

Edited by rogerharris - 31 May 2011 at 1:15am
Centauri View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Centauri Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 May 2011 at 1:38am
A lot of this depends on what you are doing with the driver - if you are just mounting it on the front of a baffle, then the small centre bullet may be of some use, however, if you are horn loading it, then it is a different kettle of fish.

high frequencies come from the centre of the cone

High frequencies might originate from the centre of the cone, but they propagate through the cone and are still radiated from the entire cone surface, with such radiation being delayed in time the further from the centre.  In theory, the speed of the waves through the cone should be different to the speed in air, but in practise the difference is not significant.  If the radiation from the centre of the cone is channelled to the outer edge, then it is more or less in phase with the radiation from the outer edge.

I was just referring to this, but this is to engineer higher frequencies from a cone not setup for it.

Not really - it is about keeping the driver's normal response once it is horn loaded.  The 6" driver I am currently playing with is quite capable of output above 4kHz, and I am looking at trying to maintain that once it is mounted on a horn.  If you just put your F1 driver onto a horn with no phase plug, you would probably kill usable output above 1.5 to 2 kHz.

If you look at the diagrams in the F1 patent, you can see the back of the phase plug is very close at the centre of the cone and gradually has a larger gap near the edge, forming an expansion right from the centre of the cone into the actual throat of the horn (which needs to have a small effective area).  Once in the throat, then the shape of the horn and plug is all about dispersion whilst maintaining the correct flare rate to the mouth, and this would take a lot of experimentation to get right.

One thing I will try when I get the final horn plug working in my 6" design in the other thread mentioned, it to take some readings with the front loaded with the large plug, and compare that with the original unaltered driver - might even run up a small bullet style plug for comparison as well.

Edited by Centauri - 31 May 2011 at 1:43am
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>