Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Advanced Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Amplifie gain and limiter calculation

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote malina Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Amplifie gain and limiter calculation
    Posted: 05 June 2011 at 7:05pm

I have 2x Mt122 and 4xCSD 1200/15B

I power my MT's with EV Q66 for highs and Q1212 for mids. I would like to know how to set gain and limiter on DSP to protect my drivers and get proper performance out of them. DSP is Dynacord DSP260 (or EV DC-ONE it's the same).

MT's are loaded with B&C DE85 and 12NDL76.

I know I'm asking alot but every help is welcome.

Thanks in advance.

AndyWave View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AndyWave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 June 2011 at 3:59pm
Hi

You can calculate output voltage beforehand when you know amplifier voltage gain and input voltage. This doesn't take account the voltage drop when load (loudspeaker) is connected. This way you have some starting point for setting limiters. Decibel calculations are bit tricky because of the logarithm involved.

I usually measure amp output voltage with pink noise and calculate rms power at 'speakers impedance minimum (driver mounted in enclosure, not in free air), then same all over for peak power with some percussive test track and measure amp output voltage with multimeter peak hold on. P=u^2/Zmin

I use both pink noise and signal with high peak content to see/hear how the limiters are actually limiting. Always start with lower limiter treshold than needed and measure few times, gradually working towards higher power levels. 

edit:Amp gains set to maximum if hiss or noise isn't problem. (so any curious person can't turn them up after your limiters are set)

Andy

Edited by AndyWave - 13 June 2011 at 4:02pm
torturing electrons since ......
Reckit View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Reckit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 June 2011 at 3:09pm
Hi Malina

I have all the calculations you need in an XL document. All you need to do is type in the values and it spits out the answers. Not sure how to upload files on this forum so if you let me know your email address I can forward it on

TechnoChef View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TechnoChef Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 June 2011 at 4:18pm
Reckit, welcome!
I would be very keen to make use of this spreadsheet!

You won't be able to upload an xls file direct to the forum, but filesharing sites are freely available and simple to use. I'd personally recommend http://www.mediafire.com
Signing up takes but a moment then, once uploaded, a link to your file(s) can be copied to the forum...
I think I'm in love with your mum.
FlipC View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FlipC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 June 2011 at 6:59pm
Frak email it to me and I will share it on my server.
flipc  AT wcsquad.com

That would be nice to have!

Edited by FlipC - 15 June 2011 at 7:00pm
Happy Jack View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Happy Jack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 June 2011 at 7:25pm
I'd put money on that .xls being the first link below! Points to Google Docs where they can be downloaded.

Limiter Calculator -

Amplifier Gain Calculator -

Edited by Happy Jack - 15 June 2011 at 7:25pm
Reckit View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Reckit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 June 2011 at 11:14am
not the same as yours happy jack but thanks for the link. however if anyone wants the one I have, click on the link below

http://www.mediafire.com//1gq1k4osul7v4w2/Audio%20Calc.xls - http://www.mediafire.com/file/1gq1k4osul7v4w2/Audio%20Calc.xls 

Edited by Reckit - 16 June 2011 at 11:29am
Reckit View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Reckit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 June 2011 at 11:16am
http://www.mediafire.com/?1gq1k4osul7v4w2 - http://www.mediafire.com/?1gq1k4osul7v4w2 

sorry I will get the hang of this

Edited by Reckit - 16 June 2011 at 11:23am
FlipC View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FlipC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 June 2011 at 5:29pm
I also put it online
http://www.worldconspiracy.org/speakers/Audio-Calc.xls

Will check out the other 2 also.
malina View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote malina Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 June 2011 at 6:55am

Thanks.

I will look into it.

Has anyone tried one of the above?

Malina Audio
 Post Reply Post Reply