Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Plans > HD 15 horn
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

HD15 Drivers

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tcourtneyvincent Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: HD15 Drivers
    Posted: 17 June 2011 at 12:30pm
I am looking at building a pair of HD15'. I have two spare Fane Sovereign 15-600lf which i was going to put in them but on the recomended driver list the fane is not mentioned. Now i dont have a clue about 'THIELE SMALL PARAMETERS ' so my question is, would the difference between a sovereign and a Eminence Kappa 15lf (the one recomended) be noticable? Would it really be worth going and buying the eminence kappa's when im on a very tight budget?
Thanks
Tom
JTH View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JTH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 June 2011 at 2:21pm
Hello Tom,

I'm looking for an answer to the same question really. I have 18" Subs and Mt121 Mid / Tops and the HD15s are to bridge the gap between the two, say 70 to 160Hz.

At the moment, PD154's are out of stock in the UK (until Mid July according to Precision Devices), Kappa 15LF out of stock with Adam Hall too.

I do have four brand new Fane Sovereign Pro 15-600 LF speakers and I need to fit out four HD15 cabs (the modified TDA versions) by the end of next week.

I would really like opinions on the 15-600LF please. Would it work okay? I can get hold of the Fane Colossus 15XB but understand that is not a recommended driver?

Thoughts please!

Tim
Peter Jan View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Peter Jan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 June 2011 at 4:35pm
15-600LF looks more like a speaker for lowisch BR tuning, fairly high Q values and low EBP.
Doesn't mean it won't work, just somewhat less SPL compared to real suitable speakers, especially in the region above 100-120Hz. Same for the 15XB, that's also a (sub)bass oriented speaker.

Edited by Peter Jan - 21 June 2011 at 4:43pm
pope View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pope Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 June 2011 at 4:43pm
Thomann have Eminence Kappa LF and PD 154

Shippng rate to GB is 10 Euro in 3-4 four days. I have bought things there for many years without problems.
JTH View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JTH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 June 2011 at 12:19pm
Originally posted by pope pope wrote:

Thomann have Eminence Kappa LF and PD 154

http://www.thomann.de/gb/eminence_kappa_15lf.htm - http://www.thomann.de/gb/eminence_kappa_15lf.htm
http://www.thomann.de/gb/precision_devices_pd154.htm - http://www.thomann.de/gb/precision_devices_pd154.htm

Shippng rate to GB is 10 Euro in 3-4 four days. I have bought things there for many years without problems.

Indeed they do, but sadly not at my Trade Prices!!!Wink
JTH View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JTH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 June 2011 at 2:14pm
After Pope's suggestion of buying the drivers from Thomann, I did a bit more searching and found a Four Pack of Kappa 15LF Drivers for a very good price from LEAN BUSINESS in Norwich.

I didn't know they existed but they have a wide range of speakery type stuff, very well priced! Can't wait to get these fitted now and make some more noise! Big smileBig smile

djwes99 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote djwes99 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 June 2011 at 12:24pm
thomann have the pd1550 at nearly the same price as 154's there is a lot of talk on here at the mo of people using them instead.

In brief they tend to give about 1db more, weigh about a kilo less maby 2. but you do need to give them an extra 200w, i think they have a bigger voice coil thou which will probably make them more able to take electronic abuse, power compression is really low too.
The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few..... or the one.
teeth View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote teeth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 February 2022 at 7:50pm
did anyone try fane sovs? it's all i can find / afford atm for my HD15's
 Post Reply Post Reply