Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Plans > Punisher and X-tro
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Punisher V3?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tocooltom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Punisher V3?
    Posted: 23 June 2011 at 4:05pm
I know this may have been asnwered before but i cant get the search to work.

What are the differences between the V2 and V3, is it just a double V2?

Edited by Tocooltom - 23 June 2011 at 4:06pm
toastyghost View Drop Down
The 10,000 Points Club
The 10,000 Points Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote toastyghost Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 June 2011 at 12:10am
It's also available in singles, but the only real difference is doubled up wood on certain panels to make it withstand being humped about a bit better. The v2 starts to come apart at the outer joins after a few years of abuse even with rebates and biscuits.
Timebomb View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Timebomb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 June 2011 at 2:19am
Humm i dont think theres anything wrong with 15mm, mine have held up to a fair amount of abuse, i dont really see the point in 18mm any more,  mabie for baffles, im not too convinced by half rebates ether, butt joints and plenty of glue and screws and pressure on the join, ive built getting on for 100 odd cabs now most of which are thrown in and out of vans by drunk people and ive never had a join come apart even slightly, a fair few of them are 12mm too.,
James Secker          facebook.com/soundgearuk
James@soundgear.co.uk               www.soundgear.co.uk
Tocooltom View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tocooltom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 October 2011 at 4:13pm
Big smile getting me 6 doubles in a month or so.

Now im looking for more/and/or the PLANS.....Ian doesn't have them anymore...well if he does hes not giving them up any time soon.....need to contact Charley V but haven't had much luck with finding him either!

Ian said if you biuld puns out of 15mm ply n then run them full blast like you should they dont last long, he said he managed to blow some of the panels off a 15mm cab they built (this is before the P3 plans came out). I dont fancy building em out of 15mm to save a few quid when eventually it will either blow itself to peices or fall apart!
Turbulence View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Turbulence Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 October 2011 at 5:32pm
My V2's needed a service last year due to rattles but Stable Audio sorted out that problem

I own 12 V2 singles (60kg each) and i can move them on my own (not with stairs tho). Lugging about V3 doubles (120kg?) each weekend up and down stairs even with help will be horrible! especially after a gig at 4/6am in the morning.

get your puns in singles!!!
Timebomb View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Timebomb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 October 2011 at 11:53pm
If panels are getting blown off then the cabs haven't been built right, thats nothing to do with 15mm vs 18mm.

There does seem to be a few badly built punishers about,  i bought 4 that were awful just to salvage the drivers,  i dunno who built them but they were cncd,  just stuck together with no glue and a couple of screws..... and the odd panel pin...i can see panels getting blown off cabs like that but its not the use of 15mm ply thats caused the problems...

If you want the design for charles's V3 why dont you just measure the cabs your getting?   Walt may have some if not.
James Secker          facebook.com/soundgearuk
James@soundgear.co.uk               www.soundgear.co.uk
Tocooltom View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tocooltom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 October 2011 at 10:42am
I thought of measuring the cabs im getting but to be honest it would be fairly difficult, with the amount of bracing in the mouth of the V3 it would be impossible to try n get inside the bas*ard and measure it. Unless you know some other method of measuring the inside of a horn?

Ian said they completely redrew the plans to make them identical in size, horn length, volume etc, but with 18mm wood. I am going to get nowhere near what they have done just by measuring the cabs. 2 whole days and 2 people it took to redraw those plans!

I am pretty sure they are double skinned, i know they are double braced inside and out.

I wont be using them up and down stairs at gigs that much, they will be used more for private land parties, small festivals and other events, maybe the odd free partyLOL.
Anyway if you need 2 people to move one up stairs on your own (i know because they are quite awkward to lift) then it would be half the work and a little more effort for 2 poeple to lift one double. Just so happens 4 of my crew are labourers lifting 60kg+ all day long, 120kg for 2 people should be easy!

That is a good idea, Walt could help!

Edited by Tocooltom - 19 October 2011 at 11:12am
Contour View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Contour Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 October 2011 at 12:15pm
Hello,

I have no V3 plans, our work on the Punisher ended with the V2 version!

(V2 was needed because Ciare changed the 12.00SW woofer geometry so with V1 there was not enough space behind magnet vent)

I agree with the above, with proper 15mm birch ply and good glue the cabinet should last very long. 18mm is better of course but also much more heavy, therefore the original design is based on 15mm thickness.

Best regards,

Walt

Edited by Contour - 22 October 2011 at 12:16pm
 Post Reply Post Reply