Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Plans > New Projects Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Old school JBL 2397 horn repros

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lee In Montreal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Old school JBL 2397 horn repros
    Posted: 27 June 2011 at 2:32am
I have been working at producing that kit for the past couple of months. Requirements were that all the parts were to be CNC machined for exact repeatability. Wood stuff is High Density Fiberboard and fins are... aluminum. Horns are to be used with a 2" compression driver. Diffusion is 132° which makes them great for home use as well as PA. A lot of exploration was made finding ways to properly CNC the wood parts.

Bottom shots. Fins can be unbolted for the horn to be repainted if necessary.

Edited by Lee In Montreal - 27 June 2011 at 2:36am
odc04r View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote odc04r Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 June 2011 at 10:02am
Tidy!
jbl_man View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbl_man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 June 2011 at 11:39am
Wow,what a beautiful job.Clap
Be seeing you.
Nachural View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nachural Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 June 2011 at 12:47pm
Looks great, well thought out.
it's all just cardboard and magnets really
Lee In Montreal View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lee In Montreal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 June 2011 at 2:19pm
That was a great exercise in production technique and assembly. The basic assembly of one horn takes about one hour: 10 minutes to fit the stainless steel inserts, 10 minutes for first coating with a lacquer to harden wood, 10 minutes for first sanding, and 30 minutes for final assembly and gluing. The rest of the finition depends on each individual. Basically, it's a one hour process max. I pretty much enjoyed the challenge and it was a change from designing brake systems and parts for race cars, which is my day job ;-)

Nachural View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nachural Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 June 2011 at 2:50pm
Lee, these would really find a place in the high end Hi-Fi market. Probably with a good financial return too.
it's all just cardboard and magnets really
_djk_ View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote _djk_ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 June 2011 at 2:53pm
What about a throat?

2328s are getting very scarce, very pricey.
djk
jbl_man View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbl_man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 June 2011 at 3:01pm
Yup,i saw that,it looks like Lee has used a genuine original JBL adaptor to mount them.

I guess someone could make a sand-casting type mould from an original for the alluminium adapter?
Be seeing you.
biotec View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote biotec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 June 2011 at 3:31pm
They look great!

could you not just tap the aluminium fins and go easy when you tighten them up? You'd get galvanic corrosion with the bolts unless you used alumium bolts or used a suitable loctite product though.
me so horny, me love you long throw.
jbl_man View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbl_man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 June 2011 at 3:57pm
Originally posted by Nachural Nachural wrote:

Lee, these would really find a place in the high end Hi-Fi market. Probably with a good financial return too.

Ditto that Chris,i would love a pair of those,the originals are just so expensive and rare now in the UK.
Be seeing you.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lee In Montreal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 June 2011 at 3:58pm
The fins are anodized. Therefore there should be no reaction with the steel bolts. And let's no forget that the bolts can still be coated with dielecric grease.

And yes, the 2328 adapters are becoming scarce and sell on a very wide range of prices. From cheap to "What The !" ;-) But for that reason, I have started studying them to make CNCd aluminum copies.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lee In Montreal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 June 2011 at 4:06pm
Originally posted by jbl_man jbl_man wrote:

Ditto that Chris,i would love a pair of those,the originals are just so expensive and rare now in the UK.

Actually, I wanted to buy a pair a year ago. Beaten ones sell for around $400... and sadly, people do buy them in sorry conditions... Nice ones fetch twice more (when you can find them), sadly you cannot change the color if grey is not what you like and several hifi nuts like to match the horns to their bass cabinets. I guess that if people are still after these 2397 horns is because it was a good design. I will soon install mine with a pair of 2441 compression drivers and JBL diaphragms. ;-)
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>