Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Feedback Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

martinson tham 15

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 7>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Grinner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 January 2012 at 4:40pm
i really need to build some of these. just cant find the time.
if some1 already building some at mo. i could do with some1 quoteing me happy for 2 of these.
tv00 View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tv00 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 January 2012 at 4:46pm
If you find the time, you still gotta find the version you want to build, this i why I'm restarting this thread. Which improvements are best in theory and reality without taking too much work?
This is why i keep talking about the mouth "opening" piece, nice if this piece alone could be an improvement takin only a little extra work.

Edited by tv00 - 09 January 2012 at 4:47pm
martinsson View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote martinsson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 March 2012 at 8:59am

The difference between the original and the MKII is yet to be fully determined, the test referred to on the previous page was unfortunately not correct in the sense that different drivers where used, but the difference seen in freq resp cannot be contributed to the different drivers alone, especially the notch seen at approx 170Hz, and the extension upwards before this notch, those differences are most likely related to the designs rather the the drivers.

I recall myself stating that the MKII should have the edge over the original, the key word here is "should" since this has not been proven well enough, the reason for this statement can be seen above, as for the performance boost, well this also needs to be confirmed, but is seems likely that the MKII will (again based upon above conclusions) have some small increase in extension and reduced notch, almost academically in nature.

My recommendations stands as follows, go for the original, it is field proven many times over, used globally and well documented in its performance with various drivers, there are no surprises, the MKII remains to be investigated and used more before I can issue the same comforting statement regarding its performance.

Swedish Pro-fi diy-nerd - http://www.martinsson.cc/blog/
login4 View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote login4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 March 2012 at 9:28am
thanks again martin, and thanks for the update, my mk1 makes me smile every time i use it.
CELTIC SUBSONIC SOUND SYSTEMS
Joe Grime View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Joe Grime Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 March 2012 at 9:32am
What delay,eq and HPF LPF are people using with the THAM15's. Also what power are the drivers being given?

We need to spend more time with measurement software, but by ear we use the following

HPF 39Hz 24Butt, LPF 130Hz 24 Butt, 3.6ms delay to tops, No eq. Each driver (B&Ctbx100) 900wrms.

Suggestions / comments welcome.
tv00 View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tv00 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 March 2012 at 10:48am
Yes, thank you so much for your answer :-)
Hope you find the time to do the test with the same driver some day, it shouldn't take t long to change the drivers around i guess.
I will try to do a sim with the PD.156, as I have 4 new-reconed of them still laying around.

-Louis
martinsson View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote martinsson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 March 2012 at 6:25am
No need to thank me, I'm just happy for the intrest in the design, and I agree completly that the "test" was not all that professional, but then again I'm no proffesional.

The one thing that I feel is important to consider is the slight (if any real) gain in preformance in the MKII proposal put against the fact that it means a more complex build, then is it worth it ? DIY should be kept simple, easy and if possible even cheap.

As I see it, when it commes to DIY, a good DIY design means that anyone can build them, that they do not require any greater amount of time, advanced skills or tools, that they can easily be built at home in a garage or basement using common handheld tools and are forgiving towards build tolerances and the choise of driver.
Swedish Pro-fi diy-nerd - http://www.martinsson.cc/blog/
tv00 View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tv00 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 March 2012 at 2:08pm
That's exactly what I like about your design, it's a simple and quite up to date design, easier to build than the jbell ss15, but do you have a cutlist for it? my ply is 151x151 cm.

Hornresp:
Can you export the input screen as a file? or sim the pd.156?
Otherwise I will just look the .jpg screendump at your homepage & tap it in.

Would be nice if some nerd-hero one day made a hornresp-server, then cabdesigners could save their design here and the diy-builders could load it with different drivers / try mods.
Just a thought.
MagicJohansson View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MagicJohansson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 April 2012 at 8:26am
Hi guys and gals

I finally pulled the trigger and started building 2 THAM15's after reading such good comments on them both here and on other forums.

They are really quite easy to build, the 90° angles on almost all corners makes it very simple.
I ordered the 18 mm birch plywood cut to dimensions from the lumberyard, and this I really can recommend. I have a table-saw but I do not get even close to the accuracy that the pro's at the yard do !

The 3° cut that is needed on the lower front piece I did not even bother to do, I just added lots of glue and screwed it together. You need to be a little careful to tighten the screws to the bottom and sides before to the baffle, otherwise it might bend inwards.

The biggest work was cutting and milling the cutouts for the handles, and the reflectors in all corners. I decided to use Adam Hall 3405 corner handles. The angle of back of the handle is about 60°, and using Solidworks I found that the handles will be very close to the optimum angle and dimension of the reflectors so I made the reflectors tha same dimension as the handles, worked out perfectly but a lot of work with all the angled cuts !

Here are some pics from the beginning of the build, the last phase is not yet here, I forgot my camera at the workshop Embarrassed

This is a screencapture from Solidworks

Here a few pictures from the build.

cravings View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote cravings Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 April 2012 at 11:12am
great work with the handles.
supremesoundz View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supremesoundz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 April 2012 at 6:32pm
any more updated pics? looks good so far
MagicJohansson View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MagicJohansson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 April 2012 at 11:36pm

Added 3 more pictures, here more from the handles and reflectors.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 7>