Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Show Off Your Sound System
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

ebay dreamers...

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 179180181182183 204>
Author
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbl_man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 March 2018 at 6:13pm
Had a pair of Tannoy Ardens with the (HPD?) 15" drivers around 1979/80 Matt, they weren't all that,why people shell out grands for this tat now is beyond me. More money than sense some peeps.
Be seeing you.
valve head777 View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote valve head777 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 March 2018 at 6:17pm
Judging by the pics, a recycling company picked them up when some old gimmer died....

Freedom of choice, choice of freedom.
djeddie View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote djeddie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 March 2018 at 7:13pm
I like how the sensitivity has "substancially" increased from 99dB to 101dB. I have absolutely no idea how though!
Chas n Dave : it's like Drum and Bass but with beards.             E=mc² ±3dB
MattStolton View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MattStolton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 March 2018 at 9:34am
Originally posted by confused.com confused.com wrote:

I could be wrong... 
No, not wrong; complete chancer hipster fruitcake.
Matt Stolton - Technical Director (!!!) - Wilding Sound Ltd
"Sparkius metiretur vestra" - "Meter Your Mains"
jbl_man View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbl_man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 March 2018 at 11:59am
^ Yeah,but they're only two and a half grand Lee,and he will throw in the surround-nibbling rodent at no extra charge.
Be seeing you.
Earplug View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Earplug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 March 2018 at 3:17pm
I used some 10" Golds while working in a small recording studio in London and they were wonderfull - especially when compared to the 'standard' NS10´s everyone had back then. So much so, that I went and bought some as well - later upgraded to 12´s, which I still have today. So I just love the fact that they keep increasing in value. When the 12" drivers hit 2 grand a pair, I might even sell!   LOL

Earplugs Are For Wimps!
BJtheDJ View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BJtheDJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 March 2018 at 3:44pm
Originally posted by Earplug Earplug wrote:

I used some 10" Golds while working in a small recording studio in London and they were wonderfull - especially when compared to the 'standard' NS10´s everyone had back then. So much so, that I went and bought some as well - later upgraded to 12´s, which I still have today. So I just love the fact that they keep increasing in value. When the 12" drivers hit 2 grand a pair, I might even sell!   LOL

IIRC back in the day, the Yamaha NS10's were used almost universally in recording studios  so that they could get an idea of what "normal" people without serious systems and those with transitor radios, would be able to hear.

Any decent hifi speaker, let alone studio monitor, would have been better than those Smile  I remember well the Tannoy IIILZ's that my first wife and I bought on Tottenham Court Road in the very early 70s - only sold them because there isn't room in this house for the Tannoys as well as the JBL L100's; the IIILZs were the rear speakers for the TV surround system Big smile; Control 1's doing the job now.

Edited by BJtheDJ - 15 March 2018 at 3:45pm
It's a difficult choice, would you rather have:

A: A vegan son.
B: An OnlyFans daughter
MattStolton View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MattStolton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 March 2018 at 4:12pm
Originally posted by BJtheDJ BJtheDJ wrote:

... the Yamaha NS10's were used almost universally in recording studios  so that they could get an idea of what "normal" people without serious systems and those with transitor radios, would be able to hear....
Exactly that - horrible sounding things, but if the mix sounded good on them, it would sound good almost anywhere.

Today's equivalent would be playing it back on your phone!

Have you seen how much NS10s are going for these days - changing hands at £500 /pair. More if not yellowed! Daft.

Saying that I have a pile of Quad 520F, tri-amping my "studio monitors", badged as Sound Associates, who used them for "Footballer Home Cinema installs". I picked up 3 for £150, along with a pile of shite and some JBL Pro cinema speakers. Recapped with original parts, and now sell on the bay for around £350 - £1000 each!

My problem is not so much with the daft bastards selling this crap, more the daft bastards buying this crap! Unless they're buying my crap....
Matt Stolton - Technical Director (!!!) - Wilding Sound Ltd
"Sparkius metiretur vestra" - "Meter Your Mains"
BJtheDJ View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BJtheDJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 March 2018 at 5:51pm
Originally posted by MattStolton MattStolton wrote:

<snip>
My problem is not so much with the daft bastards selling this crap, more the daft bastards buying this crap! Unless they're buying my crap....

Amen Brother !!!

Edited by BJtheDJ - 15 March 2018 at 5:52pm
It's a difficult choice, would you rather have:

A: A vegan son.
B: An OnlyFans daughter
jbl_man View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbl_man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 March 2018 at 12:25pm
Well,i thought i had seen everything until i spotted this. Some bling Sir? Would go down well in Essex this one.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Ltd-Edt-Peavey-24K-GOLD-Anniversary-CS800X-Professional-Stereo-Power-Amplifier/332587246472?hash=item4d6fbea388:g:p3wAAOSwBPJaqtEU
Be seeing you.
Robbo View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Robbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 March 2018 at 12:47pm
One of the scoop guys will buy that Ian---I have just had a vision of Lev with that hanging on a gold chain around his neck!!!!!
Earplug View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Earplug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 March 2018 at 1:05pm
Originally posted by BJtheDJ BJtheDJ wrote:

Originally posted by Earplug Earplug wrote:

IIRC back in the day, the Yamaha NS10's were used almost universally in recording studios  so that they could get an idea of what "normal" people without serious systems and those with transitor radios, would be able to hear.

Any decent hifi speaker, let alone studio monitor, would have been better than those Smile 

Yup - the NS10´s were/are awfull, but became some sort of 'standard' to judge your mix. We also checked mixes on various car stereos, as that´s where a lot of people end up listening to the muzak.  Smile

Earplugs Are For Wimps!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 179180181182183 204>