Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Newbie Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Wharfedale pro 15" LX driver problems

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Groovemeister Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Wharfedale pro 15" LX driver problems
    Posted: 13 July 2011 at 9:28am
Was wondering if anyone knows what the drive unit is in the wharfedale pro 15" LXE.

I would want to improve it if I could so before I take it apart I would like to look at some alternatives possibly?

Adam_Iron_Horse View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Adam_Iron_Horse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 July 2011 at 11:32am
I believe its wharfedales own brand of speakers
Groovemeister View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Groovemeister Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 July 2011 at 12:29pm
I suppose i should ask if something like a P-Audio SN2-15LF8 would work as a replacement ?

The cabs themselves are great (the plywood ones) so I am sure you could make a really fantastic pair of cabs by upgrading a bit ?

As I have a 3 way crossover I suppose I could always take out the internal crossover and split the mid and top as an option.

Any other ideas ?
Adam_Iron_Horse View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adam_Iron_Horse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 July 2011 at 1:12pm
Ye probably better asking things like that although the only way to find out is to work out the volume and size of the ports and try different drivers in it on winISD or something similair.

Never knew wharfedale ever made plywood cabs glad to hear as the ones iv seen have all been chipboard which is quite dissapointing tbh...

Taking out the internal crossover might be an idea but you would then have to run four core cable and have seperate amps though although for the extra control over the cabinet you might feel its worth it.

I always found the high frequency in the wharfedale iv come across more of a problem than the mids tbh so I would be inclined to upgrade the compression driver first
Groovemeister View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Groovemeister Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 July 2011 at 1:20pm
Found out it wasn't the driver but something loose in the panel back or the crossover.

I haven't completey diagnosed it yet but I know from moving the speaker about it stops rattling.

I know that it could be a pice of crap in the voice coil gap but I am pretty certain it is not that. I can feel whatever is loose is knocking at the back of the cabinet. Going to tak it apart in the next couple of day's to take a look.

Post Reply Post Reply