Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Amp Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Miltec MTA 1600 faulty

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote audioman1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Miltec MTA 1600 faulty
    Posted: 10 August 2011 at 6:51pm
Ok,

I posted this in the for sale as faulty for £60, but due to no interest think i'm going to repair it or have it repaired.

Basically following being dropped, it now keeps blowing the 13A fuse in the plug on power up, anyone know much about these amps and what its likely to be... can't really see any loose components inside....

Alternatively, anyone in South Wales or Somerset area that can repair it for me?
Audio/ Visual System design and Installation
kedwardsleisure View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kedwardsleisure Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 August 2011 at 9:32pm
Well, the start of the fault will be mechanical! Broken tracks, touching terminals, wires adrift, snapped components, dented capacitor, insulation breached, fuseholder, mains switch, relay etc.

A very close visual inspection should be made. Try putting your meter across the plug pins, ascertain if it's a direct L-N or L-E short, or whether it's something more subtle...for example a small component somewhere broken that is causing the rest of the amp to draw enough current to pop that fuse.

You may have to dismantle the amp bit by bit until the culprit is revealed. Look at the heavy bits first; can they move, have they moved; damaged something else and sprung back; is the casing all square and not malformed so parts touch that shouldn't? If nothing shows on the 13A plug pins, try applying the meter to various current-carrying parts such as the DC buses, rectifiers, caps etc to see if anything on the DC side is the fault.

Obviously these should be cold-checks as you won't be able to apply power!!

Kevin

North Staffordshire

service dept Steve View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote service dept Steve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 August 2011 at 10:14pm
Bound to be the fan ay Kevin!?
But seriously, all good advice, you will almost certainly be looking for cracks in the circuit board around heavy bits, may be quite subtle, get a nice lot of light on the subject.
We are not "They", We are "The others"http://www.servicedept.co.uk -
audiomik View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote audiomik Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 August 2011 at 12:05am
Re: "Alternatively, anyone in South Wales or Somerset area that can repair it for me?"

If it helps, we could have a look at fault finding it here if you like, however it's unlikely I will have specific spare parts but once you know what may be needed then you should be able to then repair it.
Mik
Warning! May contain Nuts
plus springs, washers, screws, etc, etc.
audioman1 View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote audioman1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 August 2011 at 9:58am
Hi guys!
Cheers for all the advice. Will get it on the work bench as soon as I have 5 minutes (5 hours Unhappy) and see what the crack is with it. 

Audiomik, many thanks for the offer, i will keep you as my plan B, even though it may end up arriving to you in a worse state after I have bashed it with a hammer out of frustation LOL

Cheers again
Audio/ Visual System design and Installation
 Post Reply Post Reply